• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Veri

Master Contributor

Kennedy

Well, there is the 9038d which is unbalanced (and soonish to be reviewed by Amir if he ever finds the time :D).
https://www.linsoul.com/products/e1da-9038d or https://hifigo.com/products/e1da-9038d-usb-headphone-amp-3-5mm-jack-unbalanced-output-dac-hpa or aliexpress. Your fidelio X2 should be driven very well by it, don't even need a fancy external amp ;)
Cheers. I am worried about the volume a bit. Max windows volume isn't very high. would there any quality alternative with a volume knob in this price bracket?

edit: NVM, just found out you apparently have to tap it for volume control.

Last edited:

wasnotwasnotwas

Cheers. I am worried about the volume a bit. Max windows volume isn't very high. would there any quality alternative with a volume knob in this price bracket?
It doesnt use the pc amplification. It uses the 9038's amp. The pc sends the digital feed to it. All the analog work is done in the dac /amp.

Noodles

The Fiio K5 is ... adequate, but don't think anything at this price is going to be an upgrade tbh. Closest good dac second hand would probably be an SMSL SU-8. They go for around 120ish and you can add your own headphone amp in the long run. Alternatively if someone is selling a used Xduoo TA-10 for 200 or less, i'd go for that instead.
Schiit Hel would be an upgrade if you can find it close to msrp

Last edited:

Kennedy

Thanks for the suggestions. Found out that a used market for such things basically doesn't exist in germany, so scratch that idea..
So from what I picked up on this forum, good high quality Dac/Amp options under 200 are:
  • 9038D/S
  • Sonata HD + Topping L30
  • dx3pro
and buying the iFi Zen over those would be wasted money. Well, let's see if any of those go on sale on Black Friday or if any 200+ options become available.

edit: I am under mod approval, I suppose for derailing... My bad, felt it was appropiate to talk about alternatives in this thread.

Veri

Master Contributor
edit: I am under mod approval, I suppose for derailing... My bad, felt it was appropiate to talk about alternatives in this thread.
No worries it's probably the spam filter because you have few posts so far + mentioning some brands.
My vote is still 9038D. Your current headphone would work well with it.

Haze

I got the Zen Dac for my bedroom. Basically as my secondary amp/dac, my main pairing is a Khadas Tone Board and an Atom. I know it doesn't measure the best but so far I really like how it sounds! It's so fluid and organic. I'd almost call it creamy! As good as the Tone/Atom combo is it can be very dry and analytical. You wouldn't use the Zen Dac for studio work but man it's an enjoyable listen!

On the technical stuff I have no audible usb noise with mine, can't hear any jitter and haven't hit any distortion (maybe I got luck?). All In all I'm happy with my purchase (the bass boost is also fantasticly enjoyable!)

Veri

Master Contributor
I got the Zen Dac for my bedroom. Basically as my secondary amp/dac, my main pairing is a Khadas Tone Board and an Atom. I know it doesn't measure the best but so far I really like how it sounds! It's so fluid and organic. I'd almost call it creamy! As good as the Tone/Atom combo is it can be very dry and analytical. You wouldn't use the Zen Dac for studio work but man it's an enjoyable listen!

On the technical stuff I have no audible usb noise with mine, can't hear any jitter and haven't hit any distortion (maybe I got luck?). All In all I'm happy with my purchase (the bass boost is also fantasticly enjoyable!)
Could be "new toy syndrome" bias though. I went opposite direction, iFi micro BL to an L30+DAC stack. I much prefer the uncoloured amplification to the iFi all-in-one ;)

Haze

Could be "new toy syndrome" bias though. I went opposite direction, iFi micro BL to an L30+DAC stack. I much prefer the uncoloured amplification to the iFi all-in-one ;)

We'll see how I feel about it in a month! The Tone/Atom combo won't be going anywhere anyway!

Haze

For fun I did a RMAA test on the Zen. Apart from the steep roll off past 20k its was basically identical to the tone/atom. All that says is both are beyond my PC's line-in's ability to test. I does confirm I am having no USB noise or grounding issues though. On high gain distortion came in at 3 o'clock like flipping a switch. That is way too loud for comfortable listening on any of my headphones but still, something to consider.

LaL

There are 3 pairs of upgraded capacitors in the new Dac only version.
Do you think this could improve the audio quality ??
There will be an iFi version (not Drop) in the next few months.

Attachments

• ifi.jpg
    ifi.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 262
  • ifi-audio-zen-dac-inside-view.jpg
    ifi-audio-zen-dac-inside-view.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 630

Noodles

There are 3 pairs of upgraded capacitors in the new Dac only version.
Do you think this could improve the audio quality ??
There will be an iFi version (not Drop) in the next few months.
Audio quality was never the issue. Noise is. Those capacitors are filters for incoming or outgoing signal and if implemented correctly they should remove the audible noise from either source or output.
In my case for both units I had (normal ifi zen)- the USB noise was not properly filtered and it bled into the actual sound. Our glorious leader also had the same issue looking at the measurements.
I have no idea if the drop version is any different.

Haze

Audio quality was never the issue. Noise is. Those capacitors are filters for incoming or outgoing signal and if implemented correctly they should remove the audible noise from either source or output.
In my case for both units I had (normal ifi zen)- the USB noise was not properly filtered and it bled into the actual sound. Our glorious leader also had the same issue looking at the measurements.
I have no idea if the drop version is any different.

Did you try anything to filter it like a powered hub?

Noodles

Did you try anything to filter it like a powered hub?
No, because most audio things don't like to be on hubs. When I plugged in my Samson mic to my hub for example I started getting Windows crashes and overall weirdness.
So I never even try that route any longer.
Besides, not my job to fix a manufacturer's design problem.

Haze

I've had the Zen about two weeks now. I like it more than the Tone/Atom combo. It sounds so good I honestly can't believe it? I know it's just that I like the Zen Dacs wide and slightly warm sound signature more than the flat analytical sounds of the Tone/Atom but none the less I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Last edited:

LaL

Have you tried firmware (5.2b)Limoncello yet? It has a more natural sound. You can notice the slightly longer decay on snare drum beats + piano notes, it sounds more natural and less dry, music is just more enjoyable.
https://iFi-Audio.com/firmware/unified-firmware-for-various-products

Noodles

I would have kept mine if it was not for the hiss to be honest. Just because of the flavor.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would have kept mine if it was not for the hiss to be honest. Just because of the flavor.
It's funny because I was reading the iFi NEO thread on head-fi and there's tons of people complaining about hissing and noise. How is that acceptable in a >€500 device...?

Top Bottom