• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ifi Zen Can....has this unit been measured here yet?

sacguy231

To the above comment asking why do I need less than 10 o'clock for the volume control? I don't "need" it. But, I have plenty of other gear where the manufacturer managed to figure out how to implement an analog volume control that works properly. With my particular Zen Can, the first 30% of the knob's travel is useless and I find that unacceptable. Ifi's own webpage for the Zen Can mentions it is "packed with premium goodness." For anyone that likes the Zen Can, that's great! - it sounds nice, has nice features, and is priced well. My specific unit was not up to expectations.

Last edited:

Wegi76

why do you need less then 10 o'clock?

Focal Clears connected to the balanced output and on low gain play moderately loud at 9 o'clock already (signal coming from a D30 DAC @ 0dB). And there are many headphones that are more sensitive than the Clear. I think this can be enough of a reason for some. I do have a volume control on my dac, so no big deal to lower the input volume, but on the other hand... the dial ranges from 7 to 5 o'clock, and I`d prefer to have a fully usable range. I kept my unit, since the imbalance here is smaller and you can work around it, but this is far form perfect.

I run it Balanced and it drives HD600+Sundara so well. (11.0V / 1890 mW @ 64 Ohm)
Not sure why iFi use the higher 64 Ohm for the Balanced specs, instead of 32 Ohm, seems like they're understating its power.
I don't use their supplied gimmicky iPower 2.5amps , it does something weird, it compresses the sound.
Also, I think the Amp actually want's to draw more power, I got a higher amp psu from Amazon.
The new Signature Zen-Can now comes with an upgraded white 3amp iPower supply.
I think it sounds excellent for $149, high gain with the Sundara is so good, it just lifts the low end differently compared to the other 3 lower gain settings. Volume is already extremely loud at 10 o'clock. Also their analog X-Bass boost button works so well with many different headphones is subtle but really helps the bass on the HD600 without distortion.
If you get it from Amazon and don't like, you have 30 days to return it.
https://Amazon.com/gp/product/B08F39N9J1
4 amp psu►https://Amazon.com/gp/product/B07YJDS71K
Hi. Does the new power supply make a big difference than the standard ifi power supply that comes with it?

Wegi76

@LaL: You say the "old" 2,5amps ifi powersupply and the newer ifi 3amps version make no audible difference, but compared to your aftermarket 4 amps supply they do? Did I get this correct?

@LaL: You say the "old" 2,5amps ifi powersupply and the newer ifi 3amps version make no audible difference, but compared to your aftermarket 4 amps supply they do? Did I get this correct?
Lol. That is actually what I also asked. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.

LaL

I don't know the full technical details, but power conditioning - power supply's like iPower have an effect particularly on amplifiers, something to do with the voltage swing. I should have said there is no audible 'improvement' and in my case the iPower degraded the sound quality slightly compared to just a regular wall-wart psu.

Last edited:
I don't know the full technical details, but power conditioning - power supply's like iPower have an effect particularly on amplifiers, something to do with the voltage swing. I should have said there is no audible 'improvement' and in my case it degraded the sound quality slightly compared to just a regular wall-wart psu.
Isn't the 4 amps a bit too much or is it fine?

LaL

Isn't the 4 amps a bit too much or is it fine?
With ampere/amps it doesn't matter as the device will only draw/pull what it needs. It's Volts that push and will fry your device if you use a higher voltage than specified.

With ampere/amps it doesn't matter as the device will only draw/pull what it needs. It's Volts that push and will fry your device if you use a higher voltage than specified.
Omw I sound so stupid I totally fogot. So is this power adapter really better than the one that comes with the Ifi Zen Can?

@LaL Does the power supply that you bought, fit correctly into the Ifi Zen Can?? Reason why I'm asking is that the power supply is 2.5mm whereas the Ifi Zen Can is 2.1mm. Just wondering, thanks.

LaL

@LaL Does the power supply that you bought, fit correctly into the Ifi Zen Can?? Reason why I'm asking is that the power supply is 2.5mm whereas the Ifi Zen Can is 2.1mm. Just wondering, thanks.
Yes it's a little bigger, but it fits fine.
I think the $149 Zen-Cans now come with just a regular psu (not sure what the amperage is on the new batch)

The problem was on the fist batch that came with the more expensive "iPower" power supply.
Anyway the 4amp one works great for me.

Last edited:
Yes it's a little bigger, but it fits fine.
I think the $149 Zen-Cans now come with just a regular psu (not sure what the amperage is on the new batch)

The problem was on the fist batch that came with the more expensive "iPower" power supply.
Anyway the 4amp one works great for me.
Thanks mate. I ordered the 4amp one with my Zen Can and the Zen Dac V2 with balanced cables for my Sundara's. The Ifi Zen Can still comes with a 2.5amp power supply. Will let you know how it goes when I get my stuff. Btw what dac do you use?

LaL

Last edited:
Top Bottom