• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Id class D ready to take on the $20K amps?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean Dar-t-zeal etc?
The only way class D amps don't compete with one of those is in bandwidth, they quite reasonably don't go up to 600khz. Otherwise most Hypex and all Purifi models beat them.

I guess if you are looking for fancy gold-plated enclosures and stuff, most Class D products have a ways to go, but in sheer performance they're equal or better. I will bet however much money you care to wager that they'd come out the same in ABX tests with the vast (VAST) majority of speakers.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Open this link and find out.

Hatto

Take on a basic voltage regulator with 1% THD? Modern class D amps would fold that device 7 times over and put it in your pocket.

Last edited:

Chester

I’m sure I recall Bruno Putzeys stating that the only amps that can match the Purifi measurement wise are the AHB2 and maybe a £100k ish Boulder amp. So it sounds like some class D’s are more than holding their own.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m sure I recall Bruno Putzeys stating that the only amps that can match the Purifi measurement wise are the AHB2 and maybe a £100k ish Boulder amp. So it sounds like some class D’s are more than holding their own.
That was a few years ago. Currently Bruno is pushing the state of the art.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Until they are sold with a snake-oil fill, they can't compete.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't McIntosh offering a class D now?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is surely a troll tread :) dar-t-zeal is good bait extremely expensive snake oil products with awful performance in many aspects .

Any decently designed amps beat those does not need to be class-D at all .
The performance curve seems to turn after some price point and you get into weird high end territory.
A normal honestly designed amp , designed with engineering and science in mind beats high end all the time.

for that money a go Accuphase if I wanted expensive electronic sculptures that also are amplifiers and had 20k $ to burn :)

I see myself out of the tread .....

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean Dar-t-zeal etc?
The cabinets aren't the same and they are missing enjoyment and pleasure dials. But the hypex and purifi offerings have more linear FR, less distortion, and are far more energy efficient. So for fidelity sound reproduction, they are a better choice.

Dartzeelpreampnhb-18-ns-front-1240x1000-1.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those amps are a joke:

Only 56 to 73 SINAD

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those amps are a joke:

Only 56 to 73 SINAD
Sure, they may not be good at electronics. But they know how to charge a lot.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Class D amps cannot compete at all in weight, frivolous looks, expense and size. Of course, those things are important. Essential. Believe me when I tell you.

:facepalm::p
My Class D integrated has the weight, frivolous looks (maybe), size and a chunk of the expense. Of course, anyone owning a $20k amp is going to dismiss it despite those things.

maarten

It's a marketing question.
People do not buy 20k amps because they really sound better but because they are snobs that buy believes and stories.

As long as Class D is being misinterpreted as digital amplification (which it isn't) and by many regarded as sounding 'clinical' it will be difficult.

High-end audio is not about technology but all about believes, story-telling and lack of masculinity that seeks for compensation.

Top Bottom