• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I love my system, but....

rbradshaw

So, here’s my system:

Roon
Chromecast Audio (optical out)
Sanskrit 10th Anniversary (optical in)
Marantz PM8006 (preamp only)
Primaluna Prologue Four
Focal Aria 926s

I’m very happy with my result... but I’d like to upgrade...

So if you were going to spend $3000, would you purchase a Matrix Element X or a Benchmark AHB2?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not heard the Primaluna. If you like its signature, then you may not like something like the Benchmark without much of a signature. Not saying you wouldn't, but it is something to consider. You have some nice speakers, and I believe they'd benefit from the Benchmark or something with a bit more power behind them.

If you don't need your preamp for other sources, I might consider switching to a DAC/preamp just to simplify things.

I might also consider some variation of the Purifi power amp. You can buy kits and save lots of money or buy various finished versions. I know March Audio has a nice finished version of them for $2600/pair US in monoblock form. The left over $400 would be enough to get a good DAC/preamp.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-p451-purifi-1et400a-mono-blocks.10138/

Still hard to say if you'll like this better than your tube amp. Any chance of borrowing a good SS amp for an audition at your own house?

In any case, after speakers, amps make by far the most difference in sound.

OP
R

rbradshaw

The Marantz is an integrated amp, 70W @ 8 Ohm, so he already has an SS amp to compare to the Primaluna.

The Marantz sounds a bit muddy to my ear. Definitely on the darker side of neutral. I’ve also tried the Yamaha Wxa-50. I wasn’t a fan.the Focals impedance drops to 2.9 and I think that’s why it’s so amp dependent. It really needs a massive tap. The Marantz is really an excellent preamp though. I put a schiit sys in the signal chain to get a comparison with something completely passive. I much preferred the Marantz in there. I don’t know what it’s doing but it feeds my primaluna so beautifully. It’s not just my audiophile expectation bias either. My girlfriend spotted it as well and she thinks this is all a bit of nonsense :)

Considering the noisiness of my primaluna tube amp, I’m not sure if I could benefit from a superior DAC.

I could go with a McIntosh MC5200 but such gear maybe a bit sack relig in the ASR world.

Daverz

Major Contributor
The Marantz sounds a bit muddy to my ear. Definitely on the darker side of neutral. I’ve also tried the Yamaha Wxa-50. I wasn’t a fan.the Focals impedance drops to 2.9 and I think that’s why it’s so amp dependent. It really needs a massive tap.

I agree with Blumlein then: try a class D amp, perhaps a kit. If that works out and you don't need the switching capability, try going directly from a DAC with volume control to the amp. I find I get the cleanest, most satisfying sound this way (though I'm using a class AB Bryston amp).

The Marantz is really an excellent preamp though. I put a schiit sys in the signal chain to get a comparison with something completely passive. I much preferred the Marantz in there. I don’t know what it’s doing but it feeds my primaluna so beautifully. It’s not just my audiophile expectation bias either. My girlfriend spotted it as well and she thinks this is all a bit of nonsense :)

Rodrigues-61.jpg

Considering the noisiness of my primaluna tube amp, I’m not sure if I could benefit from a superior DAC.
I could go with a McIntosh MC5200 but such gear maybe a bit sack relig in the ASR world.

I think there are more than a few McIntosh fans here. (The styling never appealed to me.)

OP
R

rbradshaw

I’m also a vinyl fan so going full digital isn’t an option for me. I have a bit of a not so secret dream of building a complete upstate NY front end lol. McIntosh integrated/preamp into a benchmark amplifier. I love what I have so I’m hesitant to do anything. Do no harm as they say :) but I can’t help the urge of wanting to try something. I’m weary of the idea of buying esoteric class D gear that may be hard to sell if I’m unhappy with the result.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are really happy with what you have, then don't do anything. I might suggest a better preamp, but not sure what these days. Maybe something vintage.

In a situation like yours I think being patient, and purchasing used/vintage makes sense. Spend less money, try something out, learn something about what you prefer. If you buy something and don't like it, then resell it and try again. If you are patient and careful, you can resell items for what you paid or very close to it. The cost of finding what is better is reduced in monetary terms and the experience is valuable as well.

For instance here is a Spectral preamp for $550. These are excellent preamps and phono stages. I don't know the seller or anything. This is likely better than the preamp you are using. Of course I've not been in the preamp market. So few people use them it may be hard to sell any preamp. But this is probably a lot of preamp for that amount of money. I've used one years ago.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649574761-spectral-dmc-5/

And/or a power amp like this CJ Mosfet design. $995 I've owned its big brother, and while they don't sound like tubes, they don't sound like the bad kind of SS some people don't like from an overly clean presentation. I think this one is 20% too much, but maybe there is some room for negotiation.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649585671-conrad-johnson-mf-2250-power-amp/

laudio

Speakers make the biggest difference, that's what I would try. Aria's are nice, but a different speaker could change up things more than the amp.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Or have a look at room treatment and or speaker/listening position optimalization.

Mtbf

So if you were going to spend $3000, would you purchase a Matrix Element X or a Benchmark AHB2?
Sounds familiar... I would go (and have gone myself) for the Benchmark AHB2. Exemplary amplifier. Very good DAC’s can also be bought for less.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I'd rather go for the RME ADI-2 DAC (1k€), a pair of Hypex NC400 monoblocks (1400€) and use the remaining money for a good pair of headphones.

If you sale the Sanskrit, Marantz and Primaluna, you'd probably get some money back...

Then why not to keep the Primaluna, after all, if you like it ? Then you have a choice: transparency or... something else.

EDIT: OK, I missed your point about the need of a phono input.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Indeed, get a better amp and perhaps DAC. The Primaluna is the least transparent and if you want a better, i.e. more neutral sound the suggestion to get a powerful Hypex NCore based amplifier is excellent and value for money. The RME ADI-2 is a state of the art DAC with a long list of useful features like balance and tone control and much more not available on other DACs. If you are concerned about playing vinyl, I use a Pro-ject Optical Box Ephono preamplifier with optical digital output for good results by the low standards of analogue sources (even my cheap Chromecast Audio with its digital output into the ADI-2 is better than any analogue source, but that is a different story).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, here’s my system:

Roon
Chromecast Audio (optical out)
Sanskrit 10th Anniversary (optical in)
Marantz PM8006 (preamp only)
Primaluna Prologue Four
Focal Aria 926s

I’m very happy with my result... but I’d like to upgrade...

No. This is what I would do, in order of importance:
  1. Since you are very happy with your current system: just leave it as it is and spend the money on other important audio things:
    • Loving music? Go to concerts.
    • Loving classical music? Get an abonnement for the closest symphony orchestra or opera house.
    • Buy CDs, records, get an abonnement for a streaming service.
    • Want to tinker with audio equipment? Get an RME ADI-2 PRO fs and join the growing club of ASR members who post measurements. And when not measuring you can use it as DAC and EQ for room EQ.:)
  2. Get a measuring microphone, a sound interface and an EQ and do room EQ. Spend the rest of the money according to (1)
  3. Get 1 or 2 subs with line level bass management (meaning with a high pass for the sats). This means doing (2) as well.
Usually I recommend to buy active speakers but since you're happy with your floor standers ...

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd either get subwoofers or replace your DAC with something that has a nice remote.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Things that can move the needle on an already good system:
1. Sub
2. DSP / Room Treatment
3. Another sub

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For 3k$ get a Umik and room tmts. if already done, subs or new speakers - Next down the list: electronics

Willem

Major Contributor
Perhaps unless your electronics are less than neutral and lack power.

Top Bottom