• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am looking for a one-box solution, roon ready streamer, DAC, Dirac and headphones Amp

oppop

State of the art preamp/DAC/headphone amp, Dirac and Roon ready streamer - in one box. Does it exist?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD M66. Status: Coming soon ...

OP
O

oppop

Thank you.

I've considered the Minidsp Studio but no state of the art DAC?
NAD will be a huge box?

I was hoping someone like Boxem would come up with solution to pair with a power amp.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you.

NAD will be a huge box?

I was hoping someone like Boxem would come up with solution to pair with a power amp.
WiiM amp - status coming soon

MAB

Major Contributor
Actually quite state of the art:
1699560955732.png

As is the Flex if no streamer is needed:
About the only way to beat this on paper is and RME ADI-2 and a Wiim, but that is a bit different beast.

For headphones, I use the RME, it's more ideal for me. I have little use for a streamer (I almost never use the streaming function in my SHD, it's just not my MO), but the SHD is an incredibly awesome piece of gear, well beyond just a DAC.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
O

oppop

Thanks for the helpful replies.
I've got a Boxem Arthur which I love. I find it amazing that there are so few decent one box pre/headphone amps with Dirac and Roon. Maybe it's me but the resonably priced DAC/ Headphone amps are ubiquitous. How hard would it be to integrate DSP and Streaming for around £1000? These things would fly off the shelves if done properly no?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a Boxem Arthur which I love. I find it amazing that there are so few decent one box pre/headphone amps with Dirac and Roon. Maybe it's me but the resonably priced DAC/ Headphone amps are ubiquitous. How hard would it be to integrate DSP and Streaming for around £1000? These things would fly off the shelves if done properly no?
I think streamers are generally thought of as multi-room / speaker-oriented devices. For headphone listening a lot of people are at desks with computers handy, obviating the streamer. So I think the living room headphone streaming use case is perceived as being a small opportunity.

That said, I think you can plop a WiiM Mini next to any DAC/Amp and get the functionality you have in mind. A little double-sided tape and you could call it all-in-one. ;)

MAB

Major Contributor
I think what happened is many people don't stream. I was enthusiastic about streaming with my SHD when I first got it and convinced myself that would be my primary use, it still is connected over wired ethernet. But I quickly started just playing over USB or optical directly from the PC. And while the SHD is very responsive streamer, so many streaming boxes have odd delays, random volume glitches, issues with gapless playback, issues with formats, etc. I am more happy using the same computer I need to have for streaming to just play music over USB, like I said that is where I landed... The handful of features unique to a streamer seems outweighed by other issues.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think what happened is many people don't stream. I was enthusiastic about streaming with my SHD when I first got it and convinced myself that would be my primary use, it still is connected over wired ethernet. But I quickly started just playing over USB or optical directly from the PC. And while the SHD is very responsive streamer, so many streaming boxes have odd delays, random volume glitches, issues with gapless playback, issues with formats, etc. I am more happy using the same computer I need to have for streaming to just play music over USB, like I said that is where I landed... The handful of features unique to a streamer seems outweighed by other issues.
I'm quite similar when it comes to streaming. I currently have 6 WiiM units in my house (the mini refurbs are really cheap on eBay), but they're only used for secondary systems or multi-room situations. If I'm listening to one of my main systems, one at a time, I have things hooked up directly.

Reactions: MAB

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know of anything that meets all your criteria. The MiniDSP units mentioned , SHD Studio doesn't have a DAC and the SHD doesn't have a headphone amplifier.

pogo

Major Contributor
How hard would it be to integrate DSP and Streaming for around £1000?
A NAD C658 should be available at this price. It is also possible to equalise a headphone via Dirac Live or to use ready-made measurements from databases, example DT 1990 Pro:

dekoni_1170642.png

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
I don't know of anything that meets all your criteria. The MiniDSP units mentioned , SHD Studio doesn't have a DAC and the SHD doesn't have a headphone amplifier.
Agreed.
I use several MiniDSP, all used as speaker and subwoofer crossover plus room correction. They are great for that since I value the crossover functionality.
I use an RME ADI-2 FS for headphones. The things I value (in decreasing priority) are the PEQ, the excellent headphone amp, and the best in class DAC. If I needed it to also be a 2-channel stereo preamp, it's also be perfect for that. If I needed analog input, the Pro version would be also best in class perfect. I think the RME with a Wiim for the streaming part would be great. And OP could get the Wiim, use it with whatever DAC now and see if it is OK, for minimal cost.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the RME with a Wiim for the streaming part would be great.
Exactly my current set up. If I could live with a few less PEQ bands I would probably be happy enough with a Wiim Pro Plus as streamer/ dac into a JDS Atom for most headphones.

Top Bottom