• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HQPlayer: Possible to disable exclusive mode over WASAPI?

MonkCanatella

Hi all, I'd like to use HQ Player in shared WASAPI, and use EAPO to achieve bit perfect playback by bypassing windows APOs. I'm using HQPlayer 5 and there doesn't seem to be an exclusive mode option.

This post is my inspiration for attempting such a thing

My end goal: When I pause Roon, I can play back other sounds on my computer without issue.

Current setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> WASAPI Exclusive XMOS USB DAC (Grace M9xx).
Ideal setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> WASAPI shared -> EAPO -> DAC

Currently, if for example, I want to watch a youtube video, I will have to refresh the page after pausing. Considering the post above, I should not have any negative or discernable effect using share wasapi if I configure EAPO correctly.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just run Windows in 96k 32 bit most times, since I don't have any music higher than that. Then run Wasapi shared and it's easy. Also lets you run things like APO/Peace if you want to get into EQ with it (the Autoeq profiles and hearing calibration tests are really useful). Just depends on the highest bit rate music you'll be playing.

OP
M

MonkCanatella

I just run Windows in 96k 32 bit most times, since I don't have any music higher than that. Then run Wasapi shared and it's easy. Also lets you run things like APO/Peace if you want to get into EQ with it (the Autoeq profiles and hearing calibration tests are really useful). Just depends on the highest bit rate music you'll be playing.
Yeah I've decided against it myself. I mainly wanted to use hqplayer to get around Roon's horrible handling of ASIO/wasapi. I've more or less figured out a workaround using wasapi in exclusive mode directly from roon. My PC is set to 24 bit 96k as suggested in the thread I linked. That covers the majority of my bases and I can always switch to hqplayer for more intense listening sessions.

Top Bottom