• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to tell if an older amplifier will support 4ohm loads?

• Thread starter Deleted member 69358
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 69358

For the system I am putting together for my daughter, I think a FOSI amp would not be ideal and am thinking of getting either a used AVR or an entry level AVR. For the used AVR's how do you know if it will support 4ohm speakers?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Every User Manual has a page with specifications at the end, which usually state the supported load impedances.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Many/most will also have a notation on the back saying whether 4 ohm, 6 ohm or 8 ohm minimum. A few a have switch for 8 ohm/ 4ohm operation on the back.

OP
D

Deleted member 69358

Every User Manual has a page with specifications at the end, which usually state the supported load impedances.
Some of them do not specify but have a "dynamic output" for 2/4/6/8 ohms

Attachments

• 2024-02-05 14_15_26-Manual_ VSX604S OM PIONEER EN _ Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming _ Int...png
    2024-02-05 14_15_26-Manual_ VSX604S OM PIONEER EN _ Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming _ Int...png
    663.3 KB · Views: 34

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Too-low impedance is "reasonably safe" as long as you aren't using full-power. How loud does your daughter like to listen? Personally, I'd take the risk if you can find a cheap used AVR.

If you're lucky it will go safely into protection mode and shut-down when pushed too hard. If you are unlucky it might burn up, and if it was cheap you've lost a little money.

...I'm running big 4-Ohm (passive) subwoofers with an older "8-Ohm" amplifier. I can "shake the walls" but I'm not pushing it to the max. (I have near-by neighbors, and I'm not a kid anymore, and I'm not trying to blow my ears out!)

OP
D

Deleted member 69358

Too-low impedance is "reasonably safe" as long as you aren't using full-power. How loud does your daughter like to listen? Personally, I'd take the risk if you can find a cheap used AVR.

If you're lucky it will go safely into protection mode and shut-down when pushed too hard. If you are unlucky it might burn up, and if it was cheap you've lost a little money.

...I'm running big 4-Ohm (passive) subwoofers with an older "8-Ohm" amplifier. I can "shake the walls" but I'm not pushing it to the max. (I have near-by neighbors, and I'm not a kid anymore, and I'm not trying to blow my ears out!)

She is sensitive to loud sounds so will never play very loud. It is an old Pioneer pro-logic receiver 100wpc. Total cost should be around $40. Maybe I will rethink the speakers. She listens to records and spotify.

I so wish those Fosi amps had remote control and way to secure Bluetooth. Don't like that anyone can connect to them and start playing music.

Top Bottom