• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AVR SR7015 Using 4ohm Center Channel

Chris B

Hi All,

I am running my 9.1 receiver at factory setting of 8ohms. I just purchased a Polk Legend L400 center channel ($1,700) and just discovered it is 4ohms. Been reading a lot of pro's and cons of using a 4ohm speaker on my system without switching the system to 4ohms. Problem is, it will decrease power to all my other 8ohm speakers. Being a center channel without massive drivers I don't see it overworking my amp but wanted to get some other insight. My amp is in the open and I even have a AC Infinity fan sitting on top that draws out heat. I haven't hooked it up yet but anxious to do so, all my other speakers are Polk Legend series and the cabinets matching is a big deal for us.

Thanks,

Chris

SMc

The review measurements here didn't show amplifier problems with a 4 ohm load.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Problem is, it will decrease power to all my other 8ohm speakers.

The volume knob increases and decreases power demand.

The switch limits ultimate power, by restricting the maximum output voltage, if I understand it correctly.

If you don't run it as loudly as it will go, I wouldn't think it should matter which position the switch occupies.

Top Bottom