• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to set a maximum volume limit on the RME ADI-2 FS Version 2?

AlfieFroud

I’ve tried reading the manual but it’s all too technical for me to understand. I would have asked in the RDE forums but they’re a little hostile.

Is there a way to calculate the what the maximum volume should be to protect my hearing? My headphones are the 2021 LCD X’s.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just to be certain: do you own the ADI-2 DAC FS:
ADI-2-DAC-r (1).png

or the ADI-2 FS?
ADI-2-FS.png

I'm asking because even Amir got the name wrong when he reviewed the ADI-2 DAC FS :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve tried reading the manual but it’s all too technical for me to understand. I would have asked in the RDE forums but they’re a little hostile.

Is there a way to calculate the what the maximum volume should be to protect my hearing? My headphones are the 2021 LCD X’s.
Are you asking how to fix a volume limit or what that limit should be for your headphones AND how to then fix that?

The latter is impossible to answer as it depends on how loud you like to go and what your source music is like in terms of dynamic range.

My tip, get a 3.5mm male to 6.35mm female and use the iem jack. If that's loud enough at max, job done.

OP
A

AlfieFroud

Just to be certain: do you own the ADI-2 DAC FS:
View attachment 336274

or the ADI-2 FS?
View attachment 336275

I'm asking because even Amir got the name wrong when he reviewed the ADI-2 DAC FS :)
Ah I did get the name wrong it’s the ADI-2 DAC FS I own.

OP
A

AlfieFroud

Are you asking how to fix a volume limit or what that limit should be for your headphones AND how to then fix that?

The latter is impossible to answer as it depends on how loud you like to go and what your source music is like in terms of dynamic range.

My tip, get a 3.5mm male to 6.35mm female and use the iem jack. If that's loud enough at max, job done.
It’s the latter. Is there any risk of the iem jack damaging the headphones and will it effect the sound quality?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ah I did get the name wrong it’s the ADI-2 DAC FS I own.
There are two way in which you can limit the maximum output level that your ADI-2 DAC FS can output to headphones:

You can set the Hi-Power option to OFF, which will limit the output of the 1/4" headphone output.

You can use the 3.5mm IEM output, which has even lower output level
Screenshot_20231222-152128_Drive.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s the latter. Is there any risk of the iem jack damaging the headphones and will it effect the sound quality?
No and no, it's just got lower max gain than the 6.35mm jack.

I think you can only lock the volume so the knob doesn't work, not set a max limit but you can turn auto ref gain off and instead select a low gain setting with trial and error.

Edit, ninjad by static whilst I was digging through the manual.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think you can only lock the volume so the knob doesn't work, not set a max limit but you can turn auto ref gain off and instead select a low gain setting with trial and error.
I think that auto ref level only applies to the ADI-2's Line outputs, so you can't take advantage of those attenuators for headphone out.

It seems like for headphone out, the ADI-2 has two separate attenuators which are the Hi-Power OFF and IEM options.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that auto ref level only applies to the ADI-2's Line outputs, so you can't take advantage of those attenuators for headphone out.

It seems like for headphone out, the ADI-2 has two separate attenuators which are the Hi-Power OFF and IEM options.
You might well be right! I use both and do get confused by the range of options. The iem jack might be OP best safe option, and easiest from a control perspective at - 3db though I think at full volume that might still be pretty loud.

unpluggged

I think that auto ref level only applies to the ADI-2's Line outputs
Autoref works for all outputs that can switch between ref levels.

Top Bottom