• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to pick a used AVR for new Philharmonic AAs?

skinnyq

Hello everyone,
I'm very new to HiFi and audio in general.
I bought my first pair of real speakers - the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitors by @Dennis Murphy. The modded Pioneers. Both were reviewed here.
Looking at reviews, I understand these speakers are very hard to drive since they are rated at 6 Ohms and 83 dB sensitivity.

I'm looking for a cheap amplifier/receiver to power these speakers for my living room. The room is 18 sqm. The speakers will be used mainly for music from a phone and also for connecting my new TV through TOSLINK/optical.
This is why I'm looking for an amp that preferably has digital inputs, specifically optical.

At first I've thought about small Class D amps but they look to put out only 40W of clean power and I'm not sure if that's enough. A big plus for these is the small form factor and they usually have bluetooth.

However, I don't want to spend more than the cost of the speakers themselves on an amp so I thought about used AVRs but I have no idea which ones are good enough to drive these 6 Ohm 83 dB speakers. Most of those available to me weren't reviewed by Amir, so I have no measurements, how would I know if their signal to noise ratio is good enough and if they put out enough clean power?

Some of the old ones available to me are:
Denon AVR-2307
Marantz SR5300
NAD T743
Pioneer VSX-329
Yamaha RX-V365
Yamaha RX-V567
Yamaha RX-V777

Can you help me pick between these or teach me how to choose one that will sound good with the AAs when other AVRs pop up on the marketplace?

Last edited:
OP
S

skinnyq

OP
S

skinnyq

In Israel. Basically new AVRs are very overpriced due to taxes and used AVRs are scarce and only found in the FB marketplace.

I also found a Sony TA-VA80ES. What do you think? 100W/c stereo 4Ohm. 0.7% THD.
It's only rated for 4 Ohms though, not 6 or 8 ohms, so would that even work?

I really have no idea how to compare all of these.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In Israel. Basically new AVRs are very overpriced due to taxes and used AVRs are scarce and only found in the FB marketplace.
I also found a Sony TA-VA80ES. What do you think? 100W/c stereo 4Ohm. 0.7% THD.
It's only rated for 4 Ohms though, not 6 or 8 ohms, so would that even work?
I really have no idea how to compare all of these.
The "100 watts into 4-Ohm speakers" is more about marketing.
I found the manual for that Sony, it mentions connecting 8-Ohm speakers to it.
https://manualzz.com/doc/en/2039151...H_RZjTC7qVKzw9wX7jtTKlxZKOKp0uVmJzRK8m3w8rCnQ

OP
S

skinnyq

The 0.7% THD is high though, isn't it?
Do you think a newer Yamaha with Digital TOP-ART (5.1 avrs usually) will be better suited to drive the AAs rather than this sony?

OP
S

skinnyq

Yamaha RX-V659
Yamaha RX-V1200
LUXMAN LR-6500
LUXMAN RV-387
Marantz SR5003
NAD T761
Denon AVR-1712
Denon AVR-1509
Cambridge Audio Azur 640R