• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to manage the mental somersaults, avoiding brain damage and brain rewiring from reading news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only, "What are the facts, and what is the truth that the facts bear out?" Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think could have beneficial social effects, if it were believed. But look only and solely at: "What are the facts?""

-Lord Bertrand Russell, 1959

From here.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only, "What are the facts, and what is the truth that the facts bear out?" Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think could have beneficial social effects, if it were believed. But look only and solely at: "What are the facts?""

-Lord Bertrand Russell, 1959

From here.
Bookmarked!

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

“What are the facts? Again and again and again – what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history” – what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!”​

― Robert Heinlein

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

“What are the facts? Again and again and again – what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history” – what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!”​

― Robert Heinlein
I'll be reading this thread repeatedly as I train using Guerilla News Reading Tactics that I sense are already very effective and enabling me to stomach the crap!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pay for actual news, or a monthly digest like the Economist.

News in the moment is garbage. Avoid internet and TV and talk to people about what's happening in their lives.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
This applies to "news" and censorship about whatever is going on (at any time, not just now):

“Secrecy is the keystone to all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy and censorship. When any government or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked in this fashion; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, whose mind is free. No, not the rack nor the atomic bomb, not anything. You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.”

― Robert A Heinlein

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
talk to people about what's happening in their lives.
Yes, this is something that I have made intention about and the goal is to embrace people, not succumb to the horrors and bad attitude and make for a better experience and warmer life. Rather than the isolation and poor mental health from the crappy news flooding my life. :D

sam_adams

Major Contributor
My grandfather—who grew up in the era of Hearst Yellow Journalism—told me when I was just a little pisher, "Don't believe anything that you hear and only half of what you read and always, mind your own beeswax."

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

I am a surly curmudgeon.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A major issue for me as I experienced the ocean of opinions, articles, commentary and information. I become that which you quoted as a product of the crap that is out there.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
A major issue for me as I experienced the ocean of opinions, articles, commentary and information. I become that which you quoted as a product of the crap that is out there.

It is never too late to become a surly curmudgeon. It brings more peace to your life.

Harryharryharry

I used to be attracted to social media. I aubsitituded that addiction with scrolling a news app. This made me feel pretty anxious and depressed.

I've now substitute the news addiction with ASR. It's harmless, no alrogitm and can be boring/ run out of new things or interesting threads. So I'm happy with this as my digital escape.

I don't believe we've evolved to be able to handle the whole worlds problems which is what the news delivers minute by minute.

I'm so much happier since this. I'm still engaged politically and the big stories still get to you. It's very refreshing though highly recommended it!

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No mention of actual news stories in the thread is the rule. This thread is only about recognition of the issue, self management, harm reduction, coping skills and knowing when to set the news articles aside and go to do stuff that is wholesome and positive thinking? Have you escaped the news for greener pastures, do you daily keep up to speed on the current events? :D Myself I reached the point that I need to escape for awhile and do something wholesome. :D I took a 1 month community course in mindfulness/meditation and the meditation part was OK but I learned better more effective skills in martial arts training that I studied some time ago. I read stuff that interfered with my sleep habits or I was not sleeping at all and it changed my entire view of humanity. After a couple of weeks of serious contemplation I have come to some level of closure, forgiveness and improved trust and faith but the brain damage has been done. :D What is your take on the matter?
I feel this too .

But by creating this tread you have summoned some of “these people” I see words like “censorship “ mentioned, there just a thin layer away fro the cuckoo conspiracy theories ...

Something really bad has happened to many midleaged males , due to thier inability to handle this .
It’s a complete syndrome.
I could describe it but I’ll probably get a slap on the wrist from the mods .

I’m banning myself from this tread in the spirit in its was written to stay sane :)

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Another big vote here for diversifying news sources internationally. My go to ex-US sources are Economist, FT, and formerly BBC (seems less robust lately).

So, that's a bunch of British sources. But I'm imprisoned by speaking only English. Perhaps I should add CBC and an Aussie outlet.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another big vote here for diversifying news sources internationally. My go to ex-US sources are Economist, FT, and formerly BBC (seems less robust lately).

So, that's a bunch of British sources. But I'm imprisoned by speaking only English. Perhaps I should add CBC and an Aussie outlet.
CBC is a waste of my resources and effort. It's all feel good rubbish and fluff articles.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I stopped cannabis use. I was smoking flower buds and that became not potent enough and made me cough too much so I went to moon rocks and the same thing happened and then vaping and the same thing happened and I don't even get relief anymore and coughed incessantly so I said to heck with it and stopped and removed it from my economy.
I just read this from CNN:

The headline:

Single dose of LSD provides immediate and lasting relief from anxiety​

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Reuters is better than most if you want to catch up on the news.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Most "news" is Fake, written by "journalists" and designed to get clicks from one side or the other or to persuade you to think their way. Just ignore it if it bothers you.
^^^^^^^^^^ etc
I quit essentially all mainstream media when reporting of the news became contaminated by obvious biased opinion.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I feel this too .

But by creating this tread you have summoned some of “these people” I see words like “censorship “ mentioned, there just a thin layer away fro the cuckoo conspiracy theories ...

Something really bad has happened to many midleaged males , due to thier inability to handle this .
It’s a complete syndrome.
I could describe it but I’ll probably get a slap on the wrist from the mods .

I’m banning myself from this tread in the spirit in its was written to stay sane :)

I guess you would consider me to be one of "those people". I would classify myself as a conservative leaning libertarian. My views have not changed much since I was first allowed to vote at 18 and I am now past what most would consider "middle age". More cynical and less trusting, but otherwise the same.

I am opposed to almost all forms of censorship. That applies to things I disagree with, even actual racists if you can find one. They should be able to spout their ignorance so we can see and know who they are. I have never actually met a real person who could be classified as a real racist, except for one local politician who actually seemed to believe people with a higher melanin level were too dumb to be able to acquire a voter id, therefore requiring voter id was racist. He was definitely a real racist as are those who are against voter ID for the same reason.

I am in strongly in favor of only one form of censorship: Children should not be exposed to adult subjects having to do with sex and I'm extremely suspicious of anyone who believes otherwise and especially those who insist on pushing it on them. Let kids be kids and retain their innocence as long as possible. They grow up too fast as it is.

In general I think we need to keep both sides from enriching themselves by starting and pushing for wars and supporting and profiting from large corporations in general.

If the above makes me a conspiracy theorist, then I will proudly admit to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom