• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to manage the mental somersaults, avoiding brain damage and brain rewiring from reading news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is an example of why I no longer donate to ASR. I think highly of the OP, but given the obstreperous nature of internet discourse these days I'm voting with my charge card that ASR should stick to audio-related topics, and leave off-topic discussions to the thousands of websites where they are encouraged.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just read this from CNN:

The headline:

Single dose of LSD provides immediate and lasting relief from anxiety​

...only after you come down from the 12 hour ride. LSD is not for everyone-it can be very frightening for those who are accustomed to the effects of traditional chemicals such as alcohol, THC, barbiturates, cocaine, etc. The only way I can describe it is thus: I felt as if my ego was stripped away, my identity nebulous, no defenses and always needed to be in a very safe, calm place with people I knew and trusted. Now after I came down I felt almost as if I was "reborn" in a way-difficult to describe but it did reboot my brain and that, I believe is what they are speaking of. One is definitely changed after a dose of LSD. This was over 40 years ago so my memory is a bit faded but those are my recollections.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed I wasn't seeing you post anymore and wondered if you were ok.
I was investing too heavily into studying the news and it's associated commentary while seeing what the heck is going on out there. Plus I got involved in adventure videos and stuff on YouTube. I was usually if not always still logged into ASR and was following but not contributing. Thanks for thinking of me. :D

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is an example of why I no longer donate to ASR. I think highly of the OP, but given the obstreperous nature of internet discourse these days I'm voting with my charge card that ASR should stick to audio-related topics, and leave off-topic discussions to the thousands of websites where they are encouraged.

Member Area​

Feel free to use this area to create your own personal threads/blogs.

Has always been here - at least as long as I have. A section specifically set up for whatever we want to discuss, on or off topic. Just don't engage if you don't like them.

EDIT : For example, I've stopped engaging with the utterly pointless "Vinyl back and forth" threads, even though I'm interested in the topic. Just not interested in the way they're discussed here.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very sensitive
I was reduced to trembling and sometimes angry tears reading some of the news stuff and realized this is not a good place to be. I never knew I have so much empathy and was that sensitive. So yeah I can totally understand being that way. I think as I age I am becoming more attuned to the plight of others and what they have or do go through in life.
(in my coutry, Italy)
Sigh* My favorite food is Italian and my second is Chinese...LoL. When in pain or angry I swear in Italian because I lived, schooled and worked with Italians for decades in a area of Canada that is predominantly Italian immigrants. So Cool.
I have been a Judoka for a while
Very cool. I studied Judo in Canada for years and it helped immensely with all things in life. I also studied Tai Chi for a hour per day for several months and the following hour was Kung Fu so it was 2 hours per day and the meditative section as I was being talked to when going through the training was veryyyy cool I thought. It really released me, gave me intention and a sense of justification for what might come if I ever where to use the training. I also made sure that I am up to speed on the current laws in Canada for self defense, citizen arrest and so forth and I have used them to good success. I firmly believe that no matter what training one has or not that they must be actually able to project the force when required and that half at least of what holds people back is the fear of hurting somebody and needing permission. I have used Judo, Thai Chi and Kung Fu in real life and death fighting and it was a major advantage.
Now I don't practice anymore, it's been 5 years now that I am studying classical guitar and unfortunately you have to make your nails grow for that. I am thinking in specializing in baroque music so I can cut my nails short (it's a softer music that doesn't require nails) and go back to the dojo, I miss it :)
I really enjoy acoustic classical guitar that is energetic and fast with lots of dynamics. It's simply amazing what these people do. I sometimes miss Judo too and I was tossing myself up and onto the floor not long ago seeing if I still have that skill. I do. It's amazing how it stays for such a long time. :D

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that in some ways you are correct and then I think that many of us have become friends here and we need a bit more than the pure analytical stuff sometimes. I totally respect your opinion and thanks for being forthright and honest. If I have to I'll happily contribute another $50 to make up for your donation... :D

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear this. And though we have disagreed on many things (not so much audio) your posts have been respectful, reasoned and civil. There are plenty of audio posts on ASR why not just skip the frivolous stuff and stick with those. The money goes to Amir, he's all about testing and few other things. FWIW

napfkuchen

I chatted 2 days ago with a chat friend of ~22 years in Germany about this stuff and as she said to me this issue is everywhere. It's not just you and me. She is close to her family, has many long term and local close friends and a wonderful cat to rely on and draw energy from and so she manages very well. :D
Yep... My perception of politicians is often that they live in their own bubble and can hardly understand the concerns and needs of normal people. In private life, however, it is really advantageous to retreat into a bubble (comfort zone) that you can control. Focus on family/friends/experiences/hobbies helps.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear this. And though we have disagreed on many things (not so much audio) your posts have been respectful, reasoned and civil.
Thank you.
There are plenty of audio posts on ASR why not just skip the frivolous stuff and stick with those.
Because I find that my discipline in resisting to get into these off-topic discussions is lacking, and I think that's true for many other members too (even if they do not openly admit it). I strongly resist going into ice cream shops too, because I can't resist ice cream, and I know it's very unhealthy for me, no matter how good it tastes. As some of my friends and family have said, "You enjoy arguing too much". Guilty as charged. I think ASR would be a more pleasant and focused place without off-topic discussions.
The money goes to Amir, he's all about testing and few other things. FWIW
I know. Actually, he's the original off-topic poster, but at least he seems to stick with food and cooking, with few exceptions.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read a ton of fiction books and have never ever ever seen this word. Just WoW! A very powerful word. Thanks for the word powaH!
Thanks. Since US English is the only language I understand more than 50 words in, I try to make the most of it. :)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
they live in their own bubble and can hardly understand the concerns and needs of normal people.
Oh Brother! Man alive! Is this not the fact of the matter. That combined with the news articles disguised as news when they are actually lessons in "stuFF", opinion pieces, fluff and whatever else they can dream up or attempt to change people with and gather views and hits. I am literally sick from them. I went for decades as a very involved workaholic. I loved straight commission sales when I loved it and I created good economy and lots of cash flow, loved mechatronics and electromechanical service all the time that I was setup for that and I never read the news and people asked me how I could be so happy, energetic and healthy and they asked if I read the news and I said, No, because I have no time for that because I am so busy working and I read sales books for reading material and attend sales training courses for reinforcement and refreshing accounts of sales success. It was a good method that worked well for me. I was not scared to work. I put in the extended hours and made decent money for the occupations that I had due to me getting involved, striving to be in at least the top ~10-15% of the workers in those occupations. I firmly believe that for most workers and what employers look for as a big part of the struggle of holding a job is sleeping properly, getting up in the morning, washing up properly, getting fed and caffeinated and get to work on time all the time. With that drive that I had I became friends with my managers and employers and we shared everything together as we basically became like a bubble family. So I did live in a bubble of my own for decades in that way. I also realized that half my lifetime of employers where deadbeats and they held me back from success by limiting my output and not letting me use all my capability. So I really appreciated contract and commission jobs that could support my rate of work and effort. and.... off I ramble...LoL. >Yes, sometimes we are being fed an agenda that we don't want that comes from a special interests person living in a bubble that in todays world of there being many highly educated peeps with ideas that I don't want or need can sometimes be difficult to avoid and ignore just like @blueone has struggles with skimming out threads like this one and ice cream too. :D I have reconciled my differences with this. A couple of days ago I made the intention to get more involved with people and not shut out people due to todays saturation levels of addictive information that I will never be able to manage, to accept more different people even if they are suspect to my present beliefs and to mingle more and make the effort to spread goodwill and good cheer. I do enjoy schmoosing when I'm fresh and in a decent mood. That's the only way I can survive this crap and come out on top. :D

EERecordist

No mention of actual news stories in the thread is the rule. This thread is only about recognition of the issue, self management, harm reduction, coping skills and knowing when to set the news articles aside and go to do stuff that is wholesome and positive thinking? Have you escaped the news for greener pastures, do you daily keep up to speed on the current events? :D Myself I reached the point that I need to escape for awhile and do something wholesome. :D I took a 1 month community course in mindfulness/meditation and the meditation part was OK but I learned better more effective skills in martial arts training that I studied some time ago. I read stuff that interfered with my sleep habits or I was not sleeping at all and it changed my entire view of humanity. After a couple of weeks of serious contemplation I have come to some level of closure, forgiveness and improved trust and faith but the brain damage has been done. :D What is your take on the matter?
I am in need of that. I'm cutting back on social media. People tend to take unnecessarily dramatic and exaggerated positions. No one will change their mind by replying.

I have also had periods of following news only on paper and only once a week with the Sunday (New York) Times. Unfortunately even that has become more exaggeratedly dramatic since I started reading it. Audio news, like public radio, has much more unnecessarily dramatic diction, so I need to turn that off. I'm getting back into my soft martial arts as well.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
People tend to take unnecessarily dramatic and exaggerated positions. No one will change their mind ny replying.
OMG to the maximum I say. I found it's often the same old strange peeps saying the same old crappy stuff and sometimes copy pasting the comments everyday about the same crap they force feed everybody in effort to discredit or support some SJW cause they have taken upon themselves to advocate for or against. I totally avoided and did succeed in not replying to near all of it. Even more ridiculous is there are peeps using multiple names simultaneously as they try to control the information. I did reply to only one article because it was just and needing to be done fighting back but other than that I remained totally silent. It's all toxic.
I have also had periods of following news only on paper and only once a week with the Sunday (New York) Times. Unfortunately even that has become more exaggeratedly dramatic since I started reading it. Audio news, like public radio, has much more unnecessarily dramatic diction, so I need to turn that off.
Yes, the tisking and sighs of the TV news announcers can get very annoying and so I tune that out completely and only use text now. I am having habitual muscle memory responses to pull than dang trigger and open my news folder of my bookmarks and get to checking the news but I am succeeding in keeping the safety on that trigger...LoL.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I for one don't consume any news where the news reporters payment comes from ads. They don't want to inform you, they want to entertain you, and that is far easier if they add hyperbole and hype.

In Germany there is a vast system of public paid for TV/Radio, and there is a radio broadcast where an old lady reads what's going on in the world, in a neutral voice. DLF, from 07:00 to 07:05, in case anyone wants to try it. From 07:05 to 07:15 they read some head articles from Germanys news papers, in case i didn't make it out of bed by then.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Yep... My perception of politicians is often that they live in their own bubble and can hardly understand the concerns and needs of normal people. In private life, however, it is really advantageous to retreat into a bubble (comfort zone) that you can control. Focus on family/friends/experiences/hobbies helps.
I can think of one or two audio manufacturers too, living in a kind of bubble totally unaware of what real live customers actually want or feel and making what seems to me to be bonkers decisions on product costings and distribution arrangements which in whatever way, will have an influence on their commercial future. Time will tell as regards these decisions though.

Here in the UK, we've lived in a decaying infrastructure for many a long year, been through 'austerity cut backs' with more to come whenever party gets in after our own election this year and a kind of voter apathy seems to have descended as neither party has the 'spark' to really ignite any form of positive feeling I feel as an outside observer. The promises of Brexit haven't been realised as yet if ever they will be and most people apart from the top tier are rather poorer than fifteen years ago when events in 2008 shook the economic western world to the core.

What can we as individuals do to change it? Not a lot I suspect, but maybe bring our attention nearer to our family and friends as said above, be considerate and careful whom we vote for in elections (about as much influence as we can have as individuals) and I'd suggest not to be wasteful of our resources, reigning in our excesses if we have the funds to spend as many here seem to be able to do.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
When you read the news, constantly ask yourself the question, "Who benefits if I believe this?" It's an effective first step in developing a bullshit filter.

And always be aware of the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OT: neither hydromorphone nor codein gives you a kick at all at usual oral doses.
I've a lot of mid aged to aged patients who need these to preserve their autonomous mobility, where diclofenac ibuprofen naproxen metamizole tramadol and Tilidin don't help anymore.
No one ever reported a Kick or any similar, predominantly there are vertigo and dizziness at the beginning (for 7 to 14 days).
The fitting daily dose depends on several aspects, as intrinsic endorphins level, receptor sensitivity and so on, and must be adjusted individually.

I had a strong prescription for hydromorphone for my broken arm pain relief last fall and it was like I was not taking any medication and I have had morphine before and it seemed like nothing was happening at all. I have also had multiple times prescriptions for pure 60mg codeine tablets with pure 30mg codeine syrup used in combination for severe coughing due to pertussis and the codeine suppresses the coughing within 20 minutes and I had to at least ~triple the dose to get relief and stop the severe coughing that was causing a huge amount of pain and headache. I don't get any kicks from those drugs like some people do and so they seek illegal sources because they have a dependency. I think I have a very high tolerance for drugs and so the cannabis use is just another drug that has become non-effective. Heck I always have needed 7 grams or greater of shrooms to even get a buzz. I also have a very high pain threshold. When I was on the bed being drugged with fentanyl for broken arm setting surgery the anesthesiologist said to the medical team that I have very high tolerance for fentanyl and gave me a extra squirt of liquid fentanyl to get me to where she wanted me to be. I have broken my back and never went to the doctor (now have arthritis at that location.) ,broken my shoulder and never went to the doctor, broken fingers and no doctor required, had 3 ACL injuries that laid me out for several months at a time and never went to the doctor. So I don't think the usual cocktails of drugs and alcohol are the answer...LoL. I need mind power not drugs! :D How to get that is the question...

GM3

When you read the news, constantly ask yourself the question, "Who benefits if I believe this?" It's an effective first step in developing a bullshit filter.

And always be aware of the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect.
Scott Adams referenced it in his 4th of 6 levels of political awareness! Paraphrasing;

Level:
1) You only listen and trust 1 source of information and believe it's the truth
2) You listen to different sources of info so are aware of counter-points and other points of view, but believe that your source is accurate and truthful while others aren't
3) You realize all media have a bias and push a narrative, and and so aren't reliable; all add spin, have have missing context, etc.
4) You realize experts also aren't unbiased; can be coerced by money, power, also have to follow the narrative because otherwise can and will hurt their careers, etc., so, they could or could not be correct, and because you're not an expert, you basically have no way of knowing either way. So not reliable source of info either.
5) You have a good understanding of how the gears work; how the world/republic works behind the scenes, who are the real powers that be, who controls what, etc. (ex; Mike Benz). Reality isn't what is portrayed.
6) Epstein level, you know too much, and so are likely dead.

Most people are about level 1 or 2? Which is basically what makes any type of political discussion nearly impossible. Impossible to agree on the facts. I'm at level 4; realized about a decade ago that truth/knowledge is very hard to come by. Nearly impossible to be certain of anything, as ex; not being an expert in a field, no matter how much reading or opinions you hear, all ends up being a guessing game about who you trust and believe, and you can never be certain. Someone can be very persuasive, doesn't mean he's right.

For #5; See #3 and #4, not sure how I'd go about figuring that out, not that I really care about the specific actors, I think just being generally aware of it is sufficient.

How to handle the world we live in? You go through the 5 stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and finally Acceptance. I now fully embrace the clown world we live in, and like the Joker, just laugh along and enjoy the show. You have to disconnect yourself and your feelings from it all, else you go mad.

Plus, with rampant corruption, industries funding research with millions/billions $ at stake, lobbying, George Carlin's “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”, the fact that knowing anything about anything takes countless hours and "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That". That it's impossible to have a 'normal' discussion with most people about anything... Censorship, bias, tribalism, denial, propaganda, etc. etc. Basically impossible to do anything about anything. It's like the world/humanity is basically designed to fail, on all levels. And the more time passes, the more it feels like someone has control over reality and keeps turning up the 'ridiculous' knob, smirking and wondering when you'll realize that it's all just a big joke.

So basically becomes a form of nihilism; a disconnect. You realize that in the greater scheme of things, nothing really matters. We all end up in the same place, and whether it comes in 20, 50 100 years or 300 years, there more than likely won't be anyone around to grieve mankind, so nothing really matters. But maybe I'm wrong. Either way, if I'm correct, you only get 1 shot at life, see my sig, enjoy it! ;)

[insert clown world meme jpg]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom