• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to hook up sub to PC?

dman777

I have a basic PC sound card. My 2 speakers are normal PC speakers with a single line in/out cord. I have a left over REL 7x sub from my Hi-fi setup in the other room. How can I connect the sub to it? Do I need a y splitter for the line out on the PC card?

Attachments

• pc2.jpg
    pc2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 25
  • pc1.jpg
    pc1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 25

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Option 1: cascaded Y-splitters

You need this: Amazon Link or google "3.5mm male TRS y splitter"

61V11GV1t4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And this: Amazon link or google "3.5mm male TRS to stereo RCA female adapter"

YC_a.jpg

Before you buy, CHECK that you are indeed using a 3.5mm TRS jack! You connect the first cable to the line output on your PC. Then one of the arms of the Y goes into your speakers. Connect the second dongle to the second arm of the Y, then connect your sub to it with RCA cable.

Option 2: External or internal sound card

You can use a PCI-E sound card like these or an external sound card like these. Make sure you choose one with the outputs that you need.

Neither of these solutions will likely give you great quality. I have recommended something inexpensive and it works.

Top Bottom