• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to get 2.0Vrms from headphone out of Dac/Amp

omeryasin

Hello. I have Topping tp32ex dac/amp and I want to use it as DAC only but this unit dont have RCA out so how can I use it as source to my Atom Amp. I want the head out to be 2.0Vrms. How can I measure that. Is it possible to measure it using multimeter?

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes. Play a full scale pure tone signal at 50 Hz or 60 Hz (this is probably where your multimeter is most accurate), put your multimeter into AC voltage mode, connect it to the output jack, and the number on the screen will be the RMS voltage of the signal.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just make sure it isn't a cheap multimeter, the ones with 200V AC as the lowest AC settings can't be used.
The meter should have 200mV or 2V AC settings at least (or autorange to it)

Why do you want the output to be 2V.
The Atom really doesn't care if it receives 1.5V, 2V or 3V or so.

Just set the output level so you don't hear any distortion and the adjustment range of the Atom is what you need in low gain setting.

OP
O

omeryasin

Just make sure it isn't a cheap multimeter, the ones with 200V AC as the lowest AC settings can't be used.
The meter should have 200mV or 2V AC settings at least (or autorange to it)

Why do you want the output to be 2V.
The Atom really doesn't care if it receives 1.5V, 2V or 3V or so.

Just set the output level so you don't hear any distortion and the adjustment range of the Atom is what you need in low gain setting.

Oh man I have the cheaper one only 200V AC minimum :(

I want output to be 2Vrms only because its standard RCA output from DAC. I dont want the output to be powered by my tp32ex amp. So you are saying it doesn't matter if the source is already powered in Amplifier input?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I want output to be 2Vrms only because its standard RCA output from DAC.

The amplifier behind it really does not care if it is 1V, 2V or 4V for that matter.
There is no need to have exact 2V. It just a value a lot of DAC's have in order to be sort-of a 'standard' which 2V really isn't a standard at all.
Only in the high-gain mode you should not apply more than 2V so less than 2V is fine for high-gain and up to 8V is fine in low-gain.

I don't want the output to be powered by my tp32ex amp. So you are saying it doesn't matter if the source is already powered in Amplifier input?

Indeed, most amplifiers have more difficulties driving lower impedances. It is no problem using the HP out of the DAC into the high impedance of the Atom.
The output stage is most likely simply an op-amp anyway.

Top Bottom