• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC and Amp Sinad

doublebstyle

Hello I am curious of something currently I am using Tidal ~ Rasp 2W Moode~ LG HiFi Plus ~ RCA in Loxjie A30. Loxjie Analog has 85db Sinad , LG HiFi Plus has 106db Sinad both has tested by Amir. I am feeding Debut 5.2. As Sinad is at the end a kind of noise how should I read this as a total system wide. Does Dac and Amp noise are on top of each other or can we think otherwise and just say that amp Sinad is the bottleneck. The reason of me asking this is ; if the noise is added together changing to better DAC can make difference,if not than getting a better DAC will not make any difference as amp is bottleneck.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Its noise of the amplifier that might be a constant background noise when used with very sensitive ear/head-phones.
Noise of a DAC is usually much, much, much lower than that of any recording played on that DAC.
Also an amp has the volume control and thus when you lower the music say.... 20dB the noise from the DAC will also drop 20dB.

Don't stare blind on SINAD.
When you do not hear any noise when there is no music there is nothing to worry about.

Distortion in such devices also usually is below audible levels at normal listening levels and most likely distortion of the headphones/speakers is higher anyway when playing louder.

OP
D

doublebstyle

Its noise of the amplifier that might be a constant background noise when used with very sensitive ear/head-phones.
Noise of a DAC is usually much, much, much lower than that of any recording played on that DAC.
Also an amp has the volume control and thus when you lower the music say.... 20dB the noise from the DAC will also drop 20dB.

Don't stare blind on SINAD.
When you do not hear any noise when there is no music there is nothing to worry about.

Distortion in such devices also usually is below audible levels at normal listening levels and most likely distortion of the headphones/speakers is higher anyway when playing louder.
Thanks for the explanation

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It's also worth noting that a lot of noise is random and incoherent, which means you can't necessarily assume that you can't hear the noise from device A if you are listening through device B which in theory is slightly noisier.

When you see a single figure such as SINAD, or THD, it's handy as an index on a list. But much of the other detail that @amirm and other reviewers on here publish is equally important, if not more so. Have a look at Multitone tests for example, and you can often see interesting variations in behaviour.

Finally, beyond a certain point, it's questionable whether you would hear any difference between two well behaving devices!

Top Bottom