• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Connect my Gaming PC to 7.2.4 AV Receiver to play games in ATMOS

stevenGitt

I just purchased Z790 max motherboard with Nvidia 4090. I am trying to understand how to get the ATMOS signal out of my gaming PC to the AV receiver? (1) how do i use the audio connectors on the back of the motherboard or (2) the Nvidia 4090 HDMI out to AV receiver for just the audio) (3) is there another option? to connect to a 7.2 AV receiver so I can get full Atmos sound for the games I play? I will use the DisplayPort to my monitor to get 240FPS at 4K (I cant use the AV receiver's 4K /120FPS as my monitor supports 4K @ 240FPS). I am using a monitor *not* a TV so eARC is not possible. What is the preferred way to get the best audio / ATMOS from my PC to my AV receiver from my gaming PC while using DisplayPort not HDMI to my monitor. If this is not the right place to ask this type of question, where would be the right place?

Thanks,

Steven

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've tried Atmos a few times and it sounded tinny in games like overwatch that supported it. Check if your monitor has a 3.5mm out on it, since your video card may cause interference trying to line out from your sound card.
Personally I'd recommend using optical out for a silent noise floor if your sound card has it, and use stereo for everything. It's accurate, and any new game sound engine will be great for gaming.
I use a Sound blaster X1 lined out with 3.5mm to double RCA to an amplifier, but even the 7.1 it has really isn't better that just accurate stereo with all windows effects disabled. If coil whine or interference from your video card is a problem, just use optical. With a silent noise floor you can hear the slightest sound like footsteps much more easily.

Top Bottom