• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to connect my DVD player to my DAC and amp

kvluo

Hey yall I've just purchased a DAC, an amp, and a DVD player to set up my system. However, I'm a bit lost on how I should properly connect them. I've attached the images of their ports below.
2021-05-14.08-38-34.jdslabs_atom_dac_back.jpg

Above is the rear of my DAC
magni-heresy-back-1920.jpg

Above is the rear of my amp
61TdRFx29dL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Above is the rear of my DVD player

And below is all of the cables that came with the packages
1647121590271.jpg

Am I missing any cable? And in what order should I connect them?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hey yall I've just purchased a DAC, an amp, and a DVD player to set up my system. However, I'm a bit lost on how I should properly connect them. I've attached the images of their ports below.
2021-05-14.08-38-34.jdslabs_atom_dac_back.jpg

Above is the rear of my DAC
magni-heresy-back-1920.jpg

Above is the rear of my amp
61TdRFx29dL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Above is the rear of my DVD player

And below is all of the cables that came with the packages
View attachment 191902
Am I missing any cable? And in what order should I connect them?

Looks to me like you can go straight from the audio out from your DVD player (red and white rca connectors) into the audio input in your amp.

You don't need your DAC in the chain at all. Looks like one is built in to the DVD player. You would need a DAC with a coax spdif input, or a converter to toslink to use the one you have there.

Does that make sense?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only way to use the DAC is to get a cheap converter from SPDIF Coax to Toslink (around 10€ suffices). Then use the Digital output coax of the DVD player to the converter and from there to the Toslink input of the DAC.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious more how/why you chose that particular gear....

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks to me like you can go straight from the audio out from your DVD player (red and white rca connectors) into the audio input in your amp.

You don't need your DAC in the chain at all. Looks like one is built in to the DVD player. You would need a DAC with a coax spdif input, or a converter to toslink to use the one you have there.

Does that make sense?
The only reason to use the DAC is if he needs its volume control.

OP
K

kvluo

Does that make sense?
Gotcha, so a coax to toslink converter from amazon should do the trick right

OP
K

kvluo

Curious more how/why you chose that particular gear....
Based off this forum honestly... Most people told me that a DAC with a cheap DVD player would improve the sound

OP
K

kvluo

The only way to use the DAC is to get a cheap converter from SPDIF Coax to Toslink (around 10€ suffices). Then use the Digital output coax of the DVD player to the converter and from there to the Toslink input of the DAC.
Got it, thank you!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based off this forum honestly... Most people told me that a DAC with a cheap DVD player would improve the sound
It can in some instances, but your DAC would need a digital coax (i.e. SPDIF) input to work in this setup.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The stand-alone DAC (probably) won't decode Dolby audio so some (or most) DVDs won't work.

Of course the DVD player can decode them and it will downmix surround sound to stereo for the analog output.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

What is the dvd player? What are you playing particularly? The dac in your dvd player could well be just fine. Adding another converter in the chain could take any advantage away, too.

ps Was more interested why that dac when it doesn't have the necessary connectivity for the player's digital output.

Rip City Dave

Here is a solution that would involve one new piece of gear and one cable.

Get a Blu-Ray player that has a Toslink output (these will also play DVDs and CDs). You can easily get one for under $100.

Then, get an optical cable and connect the player to the Toslink connector on your DAC.

Connect the right and left audio outputs from the DAC to the right and left audio inputs on your amp.

Done.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yea, that's something I would say.
Me, I would return the current DAC and replace it with one with a coaxial input.
Is the DVD player for music CDs or DVD movies or both?

OP
K

kvluo

What is the dvd player? What are you playing particularly? The dac in your dvd player could well be just fine. Adding another converter in the chain could take any advantage away, too.

ps Was more interested why that dac when it doesn't have the necessary connectivity for the player's digital output.
It's a sony model that I bought off amazon for playing CDs. I was originally gonna purchase a Schiit Modi 3, but since the new model takes 4-6 weeks to ship, I thought the JDS atom would be a viable alternative :(, do you have any other rec for DACs with coax input that's under 100 dollars?

OP
K

kvluo

Here is a solution that would involve one new piece of gear and one cable.

Get a Blu-Ray player that has a Toslink output (these will also play DVDs and CDs). You can easily get one for under $100.

Then, get an optical cable and connect the player to the Toslink connector on your DAC.

Connect the right and left audio outputs from the DAC to the right and left audio inputs on your amp.

Done.
Thank you!

Anonamemouse

Ah, should I just return it then?
In all honesty: yes. This DAC is no use to you.
And judging by the rest of your equipment, it never will be. Even here some people instantly switch to "you MUST buy this and that and such and so otherwise blah blah blah" mode. Which would be fine if you would have asked "my plan is to get a decent set, price range is xxx". But you didn't.

Top Bottom