• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How replicate the sound of a specific audio components

I would like to propose a question or an exercise that I do not know is actually feasible.
Suppose we have 2 DACs, (A and B)
A with very good measures and musically neutral,
B defined by people with golden ears as an audiophile masterpiece, without having any discount in the measurements (there are many mythological devices and that's it)

What would it take to make DAC A "sound" exactly like B?
What Hardare system and Software could be adopted?

I imagine that by sending a series of known signals to the second DAC and acquiring all the measurements we can perfectly understand how to modify its A to make it as similar as possible via software. When I say as similar as possible, I am also referring to the timbre that depends on the higher-order harmonics in an audio signal. What tools do we have in place to do this?

In other words how do replicate exactly the sound of one specific audio components (DAC/Amplifier, etc.etc.)?

Thank

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Two dacs both with very good measurements will already sound like each other.
Keith

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In electronics perfect output matches input, that's it. Don't what to make you feel bad... waist of time and time is life's most precious commodity. Unwatching now. :rolleyes:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If you had a very-good DAC and a very-bad DAC, plus a good interface/ADC, you could record the bad DAC (with Audacity or any recording software) and play it through the good one.

But that's virtually impossible because it's hard to find a DAC that's NOT better than human hearing. (I had a noisy soundcard once that made noise when the hard drive was accessed.)

Most audio electronics is very good and any audible defect/difference is likely noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background). You don't need "golden ears" to hear noise, but of course if you have hearing loss you may not hear it. ;) Or, you can over-drive an amplifier into clipping/distortion.

On the other hand, ALL speakers/headphones make a difference and room acoustics make a difference too.

See Audiophoolery and What is a blind ABX test?.

EERecordist

There are only a few DAC chip makers, so DACs today will be similar.

You will see variations in the anti-aliasing filter, but there is not a lot of information in the very high frequencies to hear a difference in music.

Last edited:

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
B defined by people with golden ears as an audiophile masterpiece,

IMO, people don't have "golden ears". That phrase is commonly used by scam artists. :(

Also, beware of the term "audiophile". Some people use it to mean "a fan of recorded music", but some people use it to mean "anti-science" or "anti-logic". You really need to dig deeper to understand how the user means it.

And as @DVDdoug said, it's difficult to find a DAC that doesn't perform below the threshold of human hearing.

Bottom line? Don't believe everything you hear. If you have doubts, arrange a double-blind test.

Jim

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In other words how do replicate exactly the sound of one specific audio components (DAC/Amplifier, etc.etc.)?
Let's take the premise at face value and assume that DAC B really does have a certain sound, and it's composed of various distortion modes and frequency response variations.

I'm going to approach this from a DSP point of view.

This is something that is done very commonly in the studio world, especially in the guitar world.

First of all, anything we want to replicate needs to be measured. If it can't be measured then we certainly can't figure out how to re-create the sound.

The next step would be to characterize all of the distortions the DAC can put out, at every input level (probably 100+ samples), and record the impulse responses (FIR). This is necessary because with non-linear gear the transfer function changes at every input level. So we need to take many measurements and interpolate them as little as possible.

Next, "simply" put together a DSP chain that implements these distortions via convolution. This is basically what guitar amp modeling software does, just usually with much more extreme variations in THD and frequency response. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube5/

There are other ways to do this. If you can accurately figure out what type of distortion the device puts out, you can simulate that algorithmically. Variety of Sound has a lot of analog-like algorithms that do this kind of thing.

Or, you can simulate the circuits themselves in detail via brute-force, like engineering simulations of circuits. This is how the Uhe DIVA synthesizer gets such a nice analog-like sound. Doing it this way avoids uncertainty and approximations, but also requires a lot of CPU. You would need a full PC to run this.

NB: If we are talking about golden ears describing the sound quality of something, but it doesn't show up in measurements, then the method for replicating the sound is much simpler. Just do what the golden ears do... sit down and use your imagination.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

There are only a few DAC chip makers, so DACs today will be similar.
This is the answer. Interesting that there staring to emulate the circuit using virtual circuit components in a spice program and then run the signal thru the emulation real time. Any one who's used spice knows the processing power needed for this.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
W
In the meantime, I would like to thank the authors of the last answers, because they have placed themselves in the position of science in answering my curious question.

I have a D300 smsl DAC that reviews and measurements will confirm as being very good and from my tests I find it particularly neutral and quiet with very, very good channel separation.
However, the DACs don't all sound the same and depending on the setting. My DAC sounds different too, but that's because in its setup you can choose about ten presets and colors (Linear Fast, etc., Tube 1, 2, 3, etc, etc.), which do nothing but modify the waveform and/or add some EQ. It's just nuances, many of which I struggle to tell the difference using a HIFIMAN HE1000 Stealth headphones and a Violectric V222 amp; A setup chosen because it expresses a clear and open sound and above all very neutral.

Therefore, remaining in the sphere of science in which what is measured is heard and not vice versa, why shouldn't there be DACs or amplifiers that sound different?
Example tested on my setup, just replace my DAC and my headphone amplifier with the HIFIMAN EF400 which is also an R2R DAC, and the difference is definitely audible, in fact you realize that it is quite "colorful" without having to make any measurements.
All devices sold for audophile owls rely on their ability to distort the waveform and convince the listener that this is elitist perfection. On the other hand, if it were not true, there would be no HARMAN and RIAA curves, which change the sound of the equipment.

I already knew about the possibility of being able to operate via sw and in real time, but I missed the sw and the possibility of specific hardware. That is why I have asked the question in a general way.

My intent is to beat up the usual "golden-eared audiophiles" and reproduce with my DAC and their amplifier the exact same sound emitted by their so-called esoteric DACs, paid $10,000, which if it is true that they emit different sounds it is only because they distort the signal, changing the waveform. In addition, I would like to demonstrate analytically that such a DAC will never be able to reproduce a neutral sound.

Thank you again for your participation and attention to this discussion. :)

Top Bottom