• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Phono Cartridges Work

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bossanova. I also have Doolittle which sounds great but Bossanova is awful. Side A has 3 tracks with unbearable sibilance. I also own the MFSL CD and original CD though.
No problems with my 28 year old original UK release, using my Dynavector XX2MK2. I can see that Is she weird might cause troubles, but nothing else stood out as problems waiting to happen.

deniall83

Just bought a Benz Ace SL. Need to get a SUT or MC stage first but I’m looking forward to trying it out. Always enjoyed my Benz MC Silver HOMC.

mediatechnology

I'm new here.
Polarity inversion of one channel in the Westrex system, to force lateral modulation of L+R, is not often discussed.

Here is an article I wrote at Lathe Trolls which may prove useful. "Vinyl Polarity Relationships in the Westrex 45/45 System" https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6661

(Unfortunately the gifs in the Lathe Trolls article no longer animate. Here is the original link: https://www.vinylrecorder.com/stereo.html)

I see the crosstalk measurements made on a number of cartridges posted here. My question is what is the crosstalk polarity?

A Stanton 681 playing a CBS test record has out-of-polarity crosstalk.
It will sound wider, for a given crosstalk measurement, than a cart with in-polarity crosstalk.

Is it the cutter head, the cart or both that determine this?
I haven't found any real data.
We learn in the Lathe Trolls post that the Ortofon cutter head can produce crosstalk of either polarity.

deniall83

Just bought a Benz Ace SL. Need to get a SUT or MC stage first but I’m looking forward to trying it out. Always enjoyed my Benz MC Silver HOMC.

Ended up getting a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ phono stage. Dead quiet and tons of loading and gain options. With the Benz it sounds incredible. I’ve all but fixed my sibilance issues BTW. Spent ages fiddling with anti skate and had to set it MUCH stronger than expected but it seems to have fixed the issue for the most part.

NormB

Ended up getting a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ phono stage. Dead quiet and tons of loading and gain options. With the Benz it sounds incredible. I’ve all but fixed my sibilance issues BTW. Spent ages fiddling with anti skate and had to set it MUCH stronger than expected but it seems to have fixed the issue for the most part.

Holy resurrected zombie post Batman!

Considering the same unit myself (as well as a Vincent PHO 701), curious if you're still using it and how well it's working after two years.

Thanks in advance.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did anybody ever try suspending a turntable in water?
I recall a more or less stillborn project called the Oasis Fluid Drive turntable. Initially it was going to be marketed by Polk Audio, which at the time was distributing the Formula 4 silicone damped unipivot tonearm. So I guess this was the mid '70s. The Oasis platter floated on a viscous watery fluid, driven underneath by propellers. For whatever reason (not hard to imagine why), Polk dropped the idea, and the table never came to fruition. It was reported on at a couple of CES shows, but that's about it. While slumming the boards, I've read posts indicating that the plastic parts have mostly disintegrated over the course of years, making the few prototypes unusable.

Below are two pics with what appears to be the Stax carbon fiber arm, and a Stanton 881S.

oasis.jpg

oasis2.jpg

deniall83

Holy resurrected zombie post Batman!

Considering the same unit myself (as well as a Vincent PHO 701), curious if you're still using it and how well it's working after two years.

Thanks in advance.

Got out of vinyl (and back in) a while ago so I sold it unfortunately. Wish I'd kept it. Was a great unit.

Top Bottom