• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I set a computer to send 2.0 to one output, and 0.1 to another output?

ORENSTC

Hey everyone, good afternoon,
I used to listen to music using my trusty Logitech Z4i with my desktop as a source.
Nowdays I have myself a new sound system by LG, which includes an amp and two front elements that are meant to play the mid and twitter ranges. since this system is lacking in regards to bass, i'm trying to use the subwoofer of the logitech Z4i in addition to the new system.
What I want is to have my computer (Realtek built in sound card) output anything above 120 hz to one PL 3.5 output (the one that is hooked to the sound system), and anything below 120 hz to another PL 3.5 output (the one that is hooked to the subwoofer of the Logitech Z4i).
Is there a software method of doing so? Or do I have to go the long way of buying a receiver that would function as a crossover?
Thanks in advance,

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Good afternoon and welcome to ASR!

If your subwoofer has a built-in crossover, you could achieve what you want by buying a cable splitter similar to this:

YPP-118_Full_RGB_1800-600x400.jpg

There are many options available.

If you specifically want > 120Hz to your speakers and < 120Hz to your sub, then you will need to buy an external sound card with 4 outputs like the Motu M4, software to generate a crossover, and software for convolution.

That's not going to work. Can EqAPO send output to two different audio devices? As far as I am aware, it can't. It needs to send output to one device with as many channels as he needs.

OP
O

ORENSTC

This is the second mention to this that I'm running into online. Will check it out the minute I get home. Thanks.
Good afternoon and welcome to ASR!

If your subwoofer has a built-in crossover, you could achieve what you want by buying a cable splitter similar to this:

YPP-118_Full_RGB_1800-600x400.jpg

There are many options available.

If you specifically want > 120Hz to your speakers and < 120Hz to your sub, then you will need to buy an external sound card with 4 outputs like the Motu M4, software to generate a crossover, and software for convolution.

That's not going to work. Can EqAPO send output to two different audio devices? As far as I am aware, it can't. It needs to send output to one device with as many channels as he needs.
I may have failed to mention those details when I posted my original post. The new sound system that I'm trying to put together has its own internal amp and is receiving signal via PL 3.5, while outputting to it's speakers using + - left and right. The subwoofer that came with the Logitech Z4i, on the other hand, recieves PL 3.5, and has a build in amp, while transmitting signal to the speakers that came along with (that I'm not using at the moment) via RCA.

Based on that information, is my best approach software, or hardware?
if the subwoofer has a stereo input, set up Equalizer-APO like so:

View attachment 296712
This is almost what I need: what I want to happen is that one output of my sound card will handle left and right, while the other one handles lower frequency ranges. Hope it's possible using this software

dasdoing

Major Contributor
This is almost what I need: what I want to happen is that one output of my sound card will handle left and right, while the other one handles lower frequency ranges. Hope it's possible using this software

you are all done with what I showed. while possibly there will be interference with the internal fixed low-pass filter of that "subwoofer". the best way would be to meassure what low-pass that sub is running and only match a high-pass on the mains while not putting any aditional low-pass on the second output for the sub. on the other hand it would probably be best practice to cross this "sub" as low as possible (meaning: as low as the other better system allows)

OP
O

ORENSTC

you are all done with what I showed. while possibly there will be interference with the internal fixed low-pass filter of that "subwoofer". the best way would be to meassure what low-pass that sub is running and only match a high-pass on the mains while not putting any aditional low-pass on the second output for the sub. on the other hand it would probably be best practice to cross this "sub" as low as possible (meaning: as low as the other better system allows)
Will try different levels of cut off point (80hz and below, 120hz and below) and see what sounds best\most clean of distortion

dasdoing

Major Contributor
you probably don't have the possibility to meassure your system acouratly, but you don't need acourency to find out the roll-off of those front elements. any smart phone app should give suficient data.
you would than only low pass the subwoofer with a matching filter.
this way you would preserve as much output of the assumingly higher quality front elements, and restrict that old subwoofer's contribuition to the absolute necessary

OP
O

ORENSTC

if the subwoofer has a stereo input, set up Equalizer-APO like so:

View attachment 296712
Alright, I am now home and in front of the program. I managed to get it to show the high and low pass filters with a 120hz cutoff between them, but how do I set it to the specific channels you have mentioned? The thing now looks like this:
1688485837758.png

Edit: The subwoofer has, in fact, and stereo input, as it's designed to also output to two other satellite style speakers via RCA. But I now need it to treat "Speakers - Realtek(R) Audio" as stereophonic speakers that can only play mids and highs

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Alright, I am now home and in front of the program. I managed to get it to show the high and low pass filters with a 120hz cutoff between them, but how do I set it to the specific channels you have mentioned? The thing now looks like this:

look at my screenshot, you need the "copy channels" and "select channels" modules

I now need it to treat "Speakers - Realtek(R) Audio" as stereophonic speakers that can only play mids and highs

no, you need Realtek configured as quadrifonic at least

dasdoing

Major Contributor
theoraticly, you could use the crossover of this subwoofer, but I wouldn't recomend it.
you would output stereo from the PC into the subwoofer, and use those satellite outputs to conect into your new system. but the quality is probably not good

OP
O

ORENSTC

look at my screenshot, you need the "copy channels" and "select channels" modules

no, you need Realtek configured as quadrifonic at least
Alright:
1688494048623.png

This is the original sound sound drivers, now set as quadraphonic.
It seems like that was the missing piece of the puzzle:
1688494438624.png

I think I managed to set it the way you show. Will give it a try playing music I know well

dasdoing

Major Contributor
one thing you can do to find a good crossover point without measuring is to bypass that copy channel module, so you only hear the high passed front elements. you then lower the corner frequency until you hear no change anymore. than you bring it up a little again until you hear an effect. that frequency you than copy into the low pass of the subwoofer. not ideal, but better than cutting unnecessarily stuff from those front elements.

OP
O

ORENSTC

It seems to be working well, at first the high the pitched sounds gave me a headache, so I set the crossover point at 150hz, and it sounds much better now. Need to do some further listening to determine if there is any room for improvements, as I did not have much time to do any further testing yesterday. Thanks for all the help, will update

Top Bottom