• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Dangerous is AI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
What a totally messed-up vision of the future, yet it almost seems plausible!
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it's not great literature, nor cultivated language, I read it with some reservation, but it is made original in its simple way. I feel that the lifestyle of many is becoming more and more trashy and weird. Observations of today are audited and extrapolated into the near future.

I don't know Douglas Adams yet, I'll have to have a look.

Last edited:

posvibes

It is not just the advances made in AI that worry me, but also the corresponding decline in human intelligence that it will propogate that causes me a general nauseous feeling of anxiety. The dilemma of a two-for-one.

AdrianusG

AI doesn't "think" or "understand" like (some) humans do. Every ML algorithm essentially boils down to pattern recognition. Yet they can be quite sophisticated, and even if they never actually think or understand, they may someday become functionally indistinguishable from humans.

The definition has 3 key parts
1. Given data, discovers patterns on its own, which the programmers did not tell it about or anticipate.
2. Uses these patterns to make predictions or decisions.
3. Given more data, makes better predictions or decisions.

Every practical computer is a Turing machine, which means ultimately, everything it does boils down to 4 operations: READ, WRITE, IF, GOTO. AI/ML has a lot of hype from Musk et.al. Most of the experts, like experts in any other field, have a strong curiousity and fascination of the field (else they wouldn't have invested years of their lives studying it) so they focus on capabilities rather than limitations. Some get so entranced by the possibilities that they redefine their own humanity in terms of it, with notions like, "my mind is nothing more than a Turing machine, and any understanding or consciousness I have is just an illusion however real it might seem." But some experts do talk about limitations, and aren't afraid to discuss the idea that meaning might be deeper than formal logic, that truth may be deeper than formal proof. For example, Gary Marcus and Emily Bender among others. For a more balanced perspective on this subject, Google them and read some of their stuff.

Ultimately, it requires human supervision. AI/ML can outperform humans on tasks that match their training, but performance becomes unpredictable and poor as soon as they encounter situations outside their training. Only a human can understand the context and meaning of a situation and act accordingly, outside instructions, disobey an order realizing that carrying it out would be unethical, or contrary to the mission objective.
iu

Emily Bender?, you just had to mention Bender didn't you, this does not bode well hahaha

AdrianusG

Perhaps for now a better question would be, how Dangerous are the people who develop this tech,and what are their motives?

The betterment of (all) mankind? given the sort of companies we're talking about here I sincerely doubt that, but i could be wrong.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran across an article with the heading "Is ChatGPT Getting Dumber? Many early users say so."

So, I had to ask the Q>What would be the equivalent IQ for ChatGPT?
A [TL&DR]> ... ChatGPT's Verbal IQ was estimated to be 155... ["Verbal IQ scale" includes only Vocabulary, Similarities, Comprehension, Information and Arithmetic.]
I wish I did not have to post the full answer but:
According to an article in Scientific American, a clinical psychologist gave ChatGPT an IQ test using the Wechsler adult intelligence scale (WAIS), which is the most commonly used IQ test. The psychologist was able to test ChatGPT on five of the subtests on the Verbal IQ scale—Vocabulary, Similarities, Comprehension, Information and Arithmetic—that can be presented in written form. Based on these five subtests, ChatGPT's Verbal IQ was estimated to be 155, which is superior to 99.9 percent of the test takers who make up the American WAIS III standardization sample of 2,450 people. However, it is important to note that ChatGPT was not able to take WAIS’s nonverbal subtests due to its lack of eyes, ears, and hands. (Bing)

Andysu

Major Contributor
i think ai should be scrapped sent to me so i can throw what is left of it , into the cat litter box , do not care for it

Galliardist

Major Contributor
i think ai should be scrapped sent to me so i can throw what is left of it , into the cat litter box , do not care for it
IMG_1401.png

Here is the result of a Google search from last Monday.

How big is your litter tray?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologize if someone else has posted this but i did not read all 40 pages of this topic
Not all things AI are dangerous, here is an AI virtual "influencer".

milla-sofia-ai-fashion-model-524.jpg

milla-sofia-ai-fashion-model-city.jpg

In case you want more ...

The hint its AI generated is her "messed up" fingers

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Where can I print a fully functional 3D model ?
Not with an IQ of 155 please.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Not all things AI are dangerous, here is an AI virtual "influencer"...
I contend ImageGenerating AIs are dumber -in the IQ department - than my shoe size!
For what purpose would AI put 'pockets' in those skin-tight jeans?
I bet that she could not even stuff ... ummm... a trojan in one of those pockets!:eek:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Swedish philosopher and AI expert Nick Bostrom predicts that artificial intelligence (AI) could surpass the human brain in intelligence in the near future, with far-reaching consequences for humanity.

AI development: rapid progress.
Bostrom, who heads the Future of Humanity Institute at Oxford University, told Der Spiegel: "Given the rapid progress in artificial intelligence development we've seen recently, I think we could be there in just a few years." Modern AI models could already pass difficult tests and apply insights gained to new questions.

The danger of superintelligence
The emergence of a so-called superintelligence that surpasses the human brain is only a matter of time, according to Bostrom. He warns of the potential consequences: "If we create machines that are smarter than us now, it could mean that the course of events on our planet will be determined by these machines in the future."

AI goals and human values
Bostrom emphasizes the need to align AI goals with human values. "If we make an effort, we can improve our chance of survival as a species," he said. "But we may also be doomed no matter what we do."

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before it kills us it's going to solve a lot problems. I don't want to make anybody feel bad about feeling bad but 2001 came and went and we're not anywhere closer to Jupiter. When it the need finally comes to "open the pod bay door" we will find a way to get it open.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Glass half-full says HumanV1.2 will be better, faster, smarter.
Glass half-empty says Humans will become the equivalent of what we currently refer to as "domesticated pets".
The dreamer in me hopes that we can continue to at least HumanV9.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay here's one more thing to worry about and I think it could hurt us before AI does.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Y
Okay here's one more thing to worry about and I think it could hurt us before AI does.
Yeah, funny that!
We speculate about the far reaches of the universe, yet we know jack about what is below us:
I don't even care if these three are hoaxes:
*Scientists discover continent that had been missing for 375 years
*Scientists solve mystery of Antarctica's 'bleeding waterfalls'
*Massive ocean discovered beneath the Earth's crust containing more water than on the surface
giggles.gif

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Not even grammar…

It gets;
UK longest river
Longest river UK
Longest river Britain’s
“Britain” longest river (gets a Wikipedia page)
great britain longest river

all correct.

And it’s quite happy to correct britains longest river without the apostrophe.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reports about the demise of the Apostrophe Protection Society may have been greatly exaggerated.
The Apostrophe Protection Society was set up in 2001 in the UK by retired journalist John Richards with the aim of “preserving the correct use of this currently much abused punctuation mark in all forms of text written in the English Language.”...
Link
It is It's a nasty, nasty character and will not won't work in the 21st Century! << IMHO:facepalm:
I cannot can't imagine using it for texting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom