• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

Robin L

Master Contributor
It's been done, quite a while ago, and none too successfully.
Doesn't mean it couldn't be revisited, but, in case you weren't aware of the DCC format, this may be a good time to mention it. ;)
View attachment 348134
source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1995_radioshack_catalog.html

EDIT: Here's the R/S catalog blurb from the year it debuted (1994 -- missed it by one year! :facepalm:)
View attachment 348135
source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1994_radioshack_catalog.html
Or, even worse, we could go back to the bad old days of DAT:

567388-66825a27-sony_tcdd8_portable_dat_recorderplayer.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't think vinyl would enjoy the renaissance it did, and cassette folk I just view as a bit younger :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... and that's why I hang on to one eight-track deck. ;)

:facepalm:
My first "system" was a combo 8-track and record player Panasonic system when I was 12. The 8 track player thing in the multi-unit got a bit weird but I also had an early 8 track system in my car when I could drive to high school....but someone ripped it off and all my tapes and that was the end of the 8 track experience :)

ps but those echoing tracks on a player were something special :) LOL

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
pretend it's doing something; keep the spinning spindles and maybe a small loop of black plastic so every now and then you can pretend to clear a jam.
Yeah, that made me laugh and shudder at the same time. PTSD (Post Tape Stress Disorder) :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
There is the hipsters / trendy market, where for the most part quality is non-critical as long as basic minimal performance is achieved (Dolby B, decent mechanicals and alignment)...

Getting decent heads for high quality performance is clearly going to be a problem.

The other marketplace would be archival - for those who have stuff recorded on cassette, and which was never digitised or otherwise converted ....
That marketplace would need a high quality drive system with good alignment (or ideally even a Nak style auto alignment... some of this kind of magic, is easier to set up in todays electronics, but the mechanical complexity...) - it would definitely require DolbyB&C (nice to haves would be Dolby S and DBX).
If it is going to be recording capable - and I'm not sure there is much demand for that! - then it would absolutely need auto calibration to tape - there is even more variability now than there was 40 years ago... without auto calibration, nothing decent can be achieved consistently - and of course if recording is to be a feature, then 3 heads are needed.
Auto-Reverse would be unnecessary.

Outputs - well, it doesn't need to be portable, we have various devices for that, so it basically needs to be able to feed into (and out of) todays audio ecosystem - that means RCA Line level I/O but also digital... I am tempted to say AES/SPDIF/Toslink, but the market is now very heavily HDMI.
Bluetooth etc... what for? it isn't a portable unit, and in the home or studio, it will be connected to preamps / AVR's which will handle distribution to amps/speakers/headphones/bluetooth.

Like Restorer-John mentioned earlier, with current motors, you could build a mechanism like a modern Revox B215 .... all direct drive, no belts, electronic control... that should ensure excellent W&F....

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most of the appeal of tape to me was being able to easily (and affordably) swap mixes with friends. That worked in a somewhat brief time window where everyone had some variant of cassette Walkman or boombox. That was expensive to do with burned CDs for a while, sort of clunky in the iPod / SD card era and seems to have effectively died out entirely; sharing a YouTube / Spotify playlist has none of the romance.

The only reason I keep tape decks around is the vain idea that I'm eventually going to digitize my old live recordings, and I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it.

radix

Major Contributor
sharing a YouTube / Spotify playlist has none of the romance.

I think part of what made albums and tapes exciting is all you have are titles. There's no user ratings or download counts or sounds-like links. It's like walking down a new trail for the first time. And skipping around is hard (well, not too hard on albums and some decks did have silence detection for a smarter FF).

But I don't really have time like that anymore. I have to update firmware, patch OS, manage 5 music services and 4 video services, respond to email, filter junk mail, avoid phishing, type 6 digit codes, find my MFA apps, deal with bill pay, and yell at Alexa a few times. It's a good thing technology saves me so much time so I can get it all done.

Mikig

It's been done, quite a while ago, and none too successfully.
Doesn't mean it couldn't be revisited, but, in case you weren't aware of the DCC format, this may be a good time to mention it. ;)
View attachment 348134
source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1995_radioshack_catalog.html

EDIT: Here's the R/S catalog blurb from the year it debuted (1994 -- missed it by one year! :facepalm:)
View attachment 348135
source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1994_radioshack_catalog.html
but of course Dcc and Dat, the Dat in particular was much appreciated by musicians, for recording test sessions.
But in fact in my speech, I try to fantasize about the cassette, but I would say that everything has already been said about that format...

DanielT

Major Contributor
For cassette players, I have no warm nostalgic feelings there at all. It was just a damn trick to record songs via the FM radio. Where I sat trying to hit rec and stop so the radio DJs chatter wouldn't get on the recording. What a liberation it was when, as a teenager, I had a summer job and could use that money to buy a record player (plus a better amplifier and new speakers). This liberation despite the fact that I then could not afford to buy so many vinyl records, but still. However, the ones I bought were really appreciated and I listened to them a lot.:D

Edit:
Cassette tape bought at the gas station, it was my dad's thing. I have fond memories of several of those songs.But that doesn't mean I would install a car stereo with a cassette player in my car now. However, old sound technology in my car is still the FM radio.:)

Here a mixed tape cassette that the petrol station by the name: OK (now called OKQ8) sold:
(in small text at the bottom of the cassette case it says: Not original versions)
283915595_78de5dae-5857-4fd4-8c2a-761fab71a095.jpg

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
but of course Dcc and Dat, the Dat in particular was much appreciated by musicians, for recording test sessions.
But in fact in my speech, I try to fantasize about the cassette, but I would say that everything has already been said about that format...
I don't miss 'em. :oops:
Philips developed the Compact Cassette in the early 1960s primarily for recording speech (dictation, "talking letters" and whatnot) -- the format was gradually stetched (and, it could be argued, violated, in terms of adherence to the standards*) to permit a very small tape running at very low speed to accommodate four tracks of relatively high-fidelity (in the sense of broadband) audio. It was a kludge, and ;) deserves to die.
Nakamichi, Tandberg (and a few others) notwithstanding. ;)
Like building turbocharged racing Ladas. (and I am sure some folks did so :facepalm:)

Mikig

I don't miss 'em. :oops:
Philips developed the Compact Cassette in the early 1960s primarily for recording speech (dictation, "talking letters" and whatnot) -- the format was gradually stetched (and, it could be argued, violated, in terms of adherence to the standards*) to permit a very small tape running at very low speed to accommodate four tracks of relatively high-fidelity (in the sense of broadband) audio. It was a kludge, and ;) deserves to die.
Nakamichi, Tandberg (and a few others) notwithstanding. ;)
Like building turbocharged racing Ladas. (and I am sure some folks did so :facepalm:)

.I think it was the shortest experiment of the last 10 years….
they went back on the shelf….

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I had a nice cassette deck; I'm pretty sure it was one of these:

1707402202364.png

While I was away studying, and working, all my Hi-Fi stuff went into storage. Some years later, when I took everything out of storage, the cassette deck would power up, but wouldn't play cassettes. In a fit of pique, I threw it, along with all my cassettes, into the bin.

It probably only needed some new belts for the mechanism, but, as I said in a previous post, cassette no longer made much sense in an era of CD-R and MP3.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have had quite a few halfway decent ones with belts that turned to goo -- and I hate working on cassette decks!
There is always at least one spring or clip that ejects itself during disassembly* with enough vigor as to either achieve escape velocity or to acquire enough energy to form and disappear into its own black hole.
Always. :cool:

1707403201815.jpeg

AdrianusG

I had a nice cassette deck; I'm pretty sure it was one of these:

View attachment 348270

While I was away studying, and working, all my Hi-Fi stuff went into storage. Some years later, when I took everything out of storage, the cassette deck would power up, but wouldn't play cassettes. In a fit of pique, I threw it, along with all my cassettes, into the bin.

It probably only needed some new belts for the mechanism, but, as I said in a previous post, cassette no longer made much sense in an era of CD-R and MP3.
Looks nice, too bad you threw it away,
i made the same mistake with a Sony DAT recorder some 15-16 years ago, still regret my stupidity, it was probably fixable for less than 220 Euro's or so :confused:

the "throwing away"was probably inspired by the fact i already had a Minidisc recorder, also Sony, luckily that one i still have and still works great.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
There is always at least one spring or clip that ejects itself during disassembly* with enough vigor as to either achieve escape velocity or to acquire enough energy to form and disappear into its own black hole
Kind of like quantum chuck keys*.

1707403741936.png

* Chuck keys can slip into parallel dimensions, but are recalled to our dimension, by buying a new chuck key. :)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Kind of like quantum chuck keys*.

View attachment 348277

* Chuck keys can slip into parallel dimensions, but are recalled to our dimension, by buying an new chuck key. :)
^^^ this is hysterical, and oh-so-true. :)

Chuck keys were always, always affixed to the drill's cord with a heapin' helpin o' electrical tape at our house when I was growin' up. :cool:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I hate working on cassette decks!
There is always at least one spring or clip that ejects itself during disassembly* with enough vigor as to either achieve escape velocity or to acquire enough energy to form and disappear into its own black hole
I have only bad memories of fixing cassette decks. At the time I also worked on massive professional 1/4", 1" and 2" reel-to-reels which made it very clear just how rubbish cassettes an their players were.

At that time I also saw my first digital record-to-HDD device and it was obvious that tape was doomed.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a few with old cassette tapes they wish to rip to digital, I can see a quality, modern cassette player being of some value. As an alternative device to contemporary digital device, it's worthless.

Top Bottom