• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Highest quality ~10W classAB

Paramount3027

I'm looking for low power (10-15W) amplifier designs, but on the top end side.
Something classAB. Chip or discrete, medium complexity at max.
  • First Watt amps are highly praised, but they are classA.
  • LM3886 is to much power.
  • LM1875 is a good baseline 0.015% THD, anything better in discrete?

al2002

Have a look at the Renardson MOSFET amp. Low parts count, elegant design, low distortion.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd suggest the Modulus-86, but that one uses the LM3886.

Is there a reason you're avoiding Amps with >15W power?
Or for that matter, demanding class AB.

OP
P

Paramount3027

I'd suggest the Modulus-86, but that one uses the LM3886.

Is there a reason you're avoiding Amps with >15W power?
I have a small work room, and thin walls, also high power amps sound worse at low levels
see https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/power-amplifiers-the-importance-of-the-first-watt

Class A is nice, but I don't like wasting that much power and heat.
Intersting, making a chip amp better with an opamp, although LM3886 is bit too much for the mentioned reasons.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I have a small work room, and thin walls, also high power amps sound worse at low levels
see https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/power-amplifiers-the-importance-of-the-first-watt

Intersting, making a chip amp better with an opamp, although LM3886 is bit too much for the mentioned reasons.
The Mod-86 is super clean (ca 0.0006% THD plus N at 1W which is ca 104dB SINAD) at low levels (btw most SOTA amps nowadays are). See the data on Neuchromes web page (thd vs power).

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Class D is fine at low levels, in fact it works best there. No crossover distortion whatsoever. A friend uses Hypex UcD180 amps hooked directly to his horns, with excellent results. He may use 30mW when he's rocking out.

al2002

Looks nice, are there any versions that leverage an opamp to simplify it and (maybe) make it better?
7 transistors are about as simple as an amp can get. The Renardson already has outstandingly low distortion.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just get a LM3886 and use a lower voltage PSU. Or just don’t turn it up too much as most normal people would do ;) Remember that the difference between 15 and 40 W is just a few dB.

zman01

+1 for the Modulus-86. If you run it on lower voltage rails, you can get lower output power. I have my Modulus-86 running off +/-25V, and that is probably giving me close to 30 watts output with 8 Ohms load. The design also has gain settings, so you can set it to a lower gain if total SPL is one of your concerns.

What speakers are you using?

It is possible to configure certain Class A designs at lower voltage rails, so that you have a lower power output around 12-15 watts. The power draw also gets reduced - for example ~30 watts/channel vs 60-75 watts/channel vs a typical Class with 25 watt output. A lower power amp will need smaller heatsinks and smaller transformer, resulting in some space and cost savings there too. However, a Class AB amplifier like the Modulus-86 will have lower distortion vs Class A.

Last edited:

eeMGee

Here is a nice LM1875 implementation as a composit amp:

But I have no experience with it.

Martin

notsodeadlizard

This is a very good unpretentious to build and stable amplifier:
The design is scalable for different output powers and load ranges.
This is a very worthy construction to repeat.

OP
P

Paramount3027

Here is a nice LM1875 implementation as a composit amp:

But I have no experience with it.

Martin
Composite LM1875 looks very promising, low part count, low THD. I will read up on it, cheers!

GPx86

I'd recommend the Schiit Gjallarhorn as well. I've been using two of them for low volume listening and they are very impressive.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Don’t pay much attention to that bit of marketing. The displayed waveforms are from a grossly misadjusted amp. Normal medium and high power AB amps are absolutely fine for 1W or less operation.

Chip amps like 1875 or 3886 are pretty old and although they sound fine, perform far less well than more modern components.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t pay much attention to that bit of marketing. The displayed waveforms are from a grossly misadjusted amp. Normal medium and high power AB amps are absolutely fine for 1W or less operation.

Chip amps like 1875 or 3886 are pretty old and although they sound fine, perform far less well than more modern components.
Yeah, I suspect they greatly magnified the crossover distortion. Or found a 1967 amplifier to test ;)

OP
P

Paramount3027

I'd recommend the Schiit Gjallarhorn as well. I've been using two of them for low volume listening and they are very impressive.
Gjallarhorn has a nice marketing text explaining the importance of low power amps.
The amp is kinda expensive, is it classA basedon on output/transformer ratio?

True that discrete classAB can be biased closer to classA if higher quality is required.

D

Deleted member 48726

Damn. So I need to have a low power amp for low volume and a high power amp for higher volume? Or maybe a stack of amps with different power so I don't have to choose between only low / high volume..;)

Top Bottom