• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Energy Density Lithium Sulphur Battery Development

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I suggest you do your own research with the view of finding the truth. None of this happy stuff with solar, wind and electric cars is market driven. It's a result of regulations. So this thread is dancing around a prohibition on discussing a certain topic. Considering who the OP is, that's real cute.

Please don't reply to this post. I'm sick of this nonsense and people with unrealistic expectations and fears.

Tut tut from the OP. After all, you did divert the thread in post #9.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If my wife wins the lottery, we'd probably get a newer Hyundai SUV. No excitement, just get me from Point A to Point B.

The big purchase would be a Cessna 172.
What does a good 172 cost these days? When I first got a license I almost purchased a couple. They weren't much more than a good recent used car in those days. What stopped me was the closest airport (which was quite close) had no open slots for keeping aircraft there and a long waiting list.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tut tut from the OP. After all, you did divert the thread in post #9.

I don't think that's a diversion. Besides, I don't understand how you Aussies keep from falling off the world considering your upside down location. Or, are the maps wrong?

Surprise, I thought you had put me on ignore.

I do agree significant advances in battery technology are important.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest you do your own research with the view of finding the truth. None of this happy stuff with solar, wind and electric cars is market driven. It's a result of regulations. So this thread is dancing around a prohibition on discussing a certain topic. Considering who the OP is, that's real cute.

Please don't reply to this post. I'm sick of this nonsense and people with unrealistic expectations and fears.

I've done the research. I have the numbers.

You are wrong.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does a good 172 cost these days? When I first got a license I almost purchased a couple. They weren't much more than a good recent used car in those days. What stopped me was the closest airport (which was quite close) had no open slots for keeping aircraft there and a long waiting list.

I rather pull out my mastercard and buy a ticket on United.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here it is (despite your promise to be done with this or sick of it):

105 million and maybe as many as 2 billion parking spaces in the United States . A third of them are in parking lots

NYTimes, Jan. 2012

1/3 * 100 million = 33 million

parking space = 9* 18 ft = 162 ft2

5.35e9 ft2 = 192 mile2

Area needed for 100% PV power for ALL US energy needs (~4 PW)

= 21,250 mile2 in 2010 (~0.5% of land area) for 13.5% PV panel eff.

https://www.freeingenergy.com/how-much-solar-would-it-take-to-power-the-u-s/

* some assembly required; but by inspection if not by use of a cocktail napkin, you can see that your original post on this is not correct

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Wes yeah wonderful, for 5 hours a day. Battery storage will last from 1 to 3 years. Wake up.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I rather pull out my mastercard and buy a ticket on United.
Well these days United is also cheaper. At the time back in the 80's flying could be done near the cost of driving, and you could fly into lots of little places United doesn't go, plus set your own schedule. Plus, hey flying isn't driving. It is something like the reason some people still want to camp instead of checking in at the Holiday Inn or Motel 8.

I think Elon Musk got the whole electric car going and while he took advantage of subsidies it wasn't about regulations. It was about his vision to build a better car. He had the smarts to start at the high priced end while most earlier attempts were starting at the low end and apologizing for short comings. Musk saw with enough money there weren't much in the way of shortcomings and quite a few advantages. Then you look at BMW, Audi and M-B sales, and they have been severely hurt by Tesla. They too I'd say are doing it out of being in a competitive business wanting to get their sales numbers back up. They use advantages in regard to regulations where there are some, but they are doing it for sales.

I'd like to have a model 3 or S. It has nothing do to with anything other than I like the cars. I don't have good enough reason currently to pay that much for a car. Which is why I don't have one. In a few years if we have lots more electrics to choose from, and I can get a used one I probably will have one. What I don't like about them, is they'll eventually kill driving yourself. I like to drive.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Wes yeah wonderful, for 5 hours a day. Battery storage will last from 1 to 3 years. Wake up.
and... snow load reflecting back the solar rays for much of the Con USA too... Some cities in sunny Alberta Canada attempted massive solar panel farms and they all stopped because it's just not feasible. The same as the massive wind farms too. The idea seems good but in practice it has issues.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest you do your own research with the view of finding the truth. None of this happy stuff with solar, wind and electric cars is market driven. It's a result of regulations.

So is oil. How much blood has been spilled and how trillions of taxpayer money have gone to protecting the world's oil companies? The US feud with Iran literally started because in 1953 we staged a coup on a democratic government on behalf of BP, nee Anglo-Iranian Oil Company.

So is the fact that America is addicted to ugly and unsafe trucks as personal transportation.

The minivan literally exists because teams under Lee Iacocca and Bob Lutz found a loophole in CAFE and NHTSA safety regs that allowed them make a bigger, thirstier, less safe vehicle cheaply.

So don't go talking nonsense about "regulation" to attack things you don't understand.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So don't go talking nonsense about "regulation" to attack things you don't understand.

Oh, I don't understand. Sounds like a personal attack. Mind your manners.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I don't understand. Sounds like a personal attack. Mind your manners.

Why don't you tell us again "inconvenient" it is to simply plug in one's car when one comes home compared to:

1) driving to a facility that stores toxic liquified dead algae in tanks that are probably leaking said toxic fluid into the groundwater, that one would not otherwise have to drive to
2) possibly waiting in line
3) spending a few minutes pumping said toxic fluid into an on-board storage vessel
4) drive somewhere you might actually want to be

:rolleyes:

You've already made that argument twice.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@jhaider you are having a bad dream, wake up.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
If my wife wins the lottery, we'd probably get a newer Hyundai SUV. No excitement, just get me from Point A to Point B.

The car guys here are really with the force.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sounds like you don't understand battery storage -- or grid storage

are you sure you don't have some subjectivist type feeling that is emotionally biasing you with respect to solar?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
sounds like you don't understand battery storage -- or grid storage

are you sure you don't have some subjectivist type feeling that is emotionally biasing you with respect to solar?

You are the one who doesn't understand. Sorry about your bad dream, time to wake up. The problem with you groupies is no dissent is allowed.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
stop hassling people who point out the logical flaws in your claims

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Six figures for one in decent shape with good avionics. Lots of GA airports around here.

Top Bottom