• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Megatest of AA (R6) batteries with data (almost 200 pcs tested, alkaline/zinc-C/Lithium + NiMH/Li-Ion/NiZn)

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought It might be interesting for some of you, Czech technician Jiri Bekr performed a thorough test of almost 200 AA-size batteries with data available in spreadsheets. These included primary non-rechargeable types - alkaline, zinc chloride, lithium and also rechargeable types - NiMh, Li-Ion (standard or USB types) and NiZn.

Please note most are of central Europe distribution, so I assume there could be totally different batches of the same model for other markets (some of them may be global though.. aliexpress, amazon, hard to guess).

all spreadsheets (google drive)
2023-09-17 10_42_36-196 batt test - capacities - Disk Google.jpg

youtube video: "MEGATEST - 196 types of AA batteries thoroughly tested"

Later he performed a test of rechargeability of alkaline batteries, in which he also provided results of encapsulation, ie. which brands/models leaked.

spreadsheet

youtube video "Can you recharge alkaline batteries ?":

Last edited:

popej

Thanks for info. I have read similar report in German c't magazine many years ago. General conclusion was, that for low current application all alkaline are more or less the same and you simply can take the cheapest.

I haven't watched videos. Sorry, I can't stand wasting time, when I could read the same info 10 times faster.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeha this guy spent over $1k on this

my experiences is that Eneloops is the one. They used to be a Sanyo company but now is Panasonic?

So Eneloop pros are good + the Panasonics would be good if they are LSD (low discharge). BUt these are expensive. I have heard stuff like Ikea generics are good being they are supposedly Eneloop copies?

Otherwise I've had dire experiences with everything else, even branded.

Eneloops last a long time, ie. thousands of charge cycles, very LSD and have high current for demanding situations... eg. DSLRs (but I feel most cameras dont use AA these days!)

Otherwise if you have low power needs like mice and remotes then any no name disposable alkaline stuff from the $2 shop is fine.

The venn diagram of AA and AAA with audio even in portable format is very slim these days though.

RandomEar

Wow, that was a lot of work :D

For batteries (including Li-Ion) and chargers, I can also recommend to check out lygte-info.dk. It's not updated anymore (I think?), but it's still a vast resource. And at least for NiMh I concluded a couple of years ago based on that data that absolutely nothing beats Eneloop. The best you can hope for is to get the same performance for slightly less money, but the vast majority of other cells is worse. And you never know how much worse until someone tests it. So for me, there was no reason anymore to buy anything else. For higher current draw NiMh, Eneloop Pro is the cell of choice.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Plus 1 on Eneloop. There's them and a bunch of also rans. I've got over 50 in constant use, including some in outside applications (thermometers), most for well over 10 years, and in all that time have had exactly 1 (one) fail on me. Good stuff

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Please note most are of central Europe distribution, so I assume there could be totally different batches of the same model for other markets (some of them may be global though..

That's the thing. Varta is an example. We have no idea where they are coming from batch to batch. Germany, China, back to Germany etc. They all leak.

I only use dry Panasonic or Panasonic Professional Alkalines. They simply never leak. Panasonic dry batteries will last 20 years without leaking.

Dry batteries for low current draw, low use devices (wall clocks, calculators, DMMs, portable test equipment, remotes, etc)
Alkaline for regularly used LED torches, portable recorders, label printers, etc. Dry for rarely used items of the same.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
That's the thing. Varta is an example. We have no idea where they are coming from batch to batch. Germany, China, back to Germany etc. They all leak.

I only use dry Panasonic or Panasonic Professional Alkalines. They simply never leak. Panasonic dry batteries will last 20 years without leaking.

Dry batteries for low current draw, low use devices (wall clocks, calculators, DMMs, portable test equipment, remotes, etc)
Alkaline for regularly used LED torches, portable recorders, label printers, etc. Dry for rarely used items of the same.
Well when it whose from Croatia or ex YU Varta whose solid. They where one of the better car battery's. Old Eneloop/Sonyo /Panasonic R6 NiMh are the same thing so what you find for less money. If you want high capacity and current draw newer Panasonic and I don't talk about camera flashes but soldering iron.

Top Bottom