• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High End Audio and the Domain of Time

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have posted a link to a serious scientific paper in post #13 and this paper also provides citations of many other scientific papers. ITD is a well investigated phenomenon. Amateurish internet videos or on-line tests should not be considered as a serious source of information.
Are you implying that because ITD is a wel established phenomenon, that there is nothing wrong with the video? Or are you referring to the video as amateurish? Production quality definitely is, but the dude has some serious accreditations to show..

pma

Major Contributor
Are you implying that because ITD is a wel established phenomenon, that there is nothing wrong with the video? Or are you referring to the video as amateurish? Production quality definitely is, but the dude has some serious accreditations to show..
I am not commenting on stupid videos, sorry. Not interested. I am just saying that ITD 5 - 10 us is possible to detect in a properly made test. I hate oversimplifications based on silly calculations of us to mm and then stating it is impossible. I hate all the oversimplification that ASR is full of. This forum declares itself as scientific, but it is not. It is rather a populistic forum.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not commenting on stupid videos, sorry. Not interested.
Well, you basically did ;) but thanks for clarifying your point anyway! We don’t want to construe it as misinformation:cool:

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I am not commenting on stupid videos, sorry. Not interested. I am just saying that ITD 5 - 10 us is possible to detect in a properly made test. I hate oversimplifications based on silly calculations of us to mm and then stating it is impossible. I hate all the oversimplification that ASR is full of. This forum declares itself as scientific, but it is not. It is rather a populistic forum.
Your John Curl imitation is not a good look.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Sync Delay (1ms)
Correct — Current score: 10/10 (100%) — Confidence : 99.9%
It feels like you have successfully passed the test!

BD+HH BD first (50ms) HH first (50ms)
Correct — Current score: 10/10 (100%) — Confidence : 99.99%

That was way to easy.
I did not even use headphones just some old Dell laptop with bad speakers ;)
Easy because of tonality change. Try headphones with 5ms and 2ms and your experience will likely be different.

See my thread here regarding the different clues using different combinations of chain.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@heyabusa
What is that tests trying to prove?
I guess most would pass the tests with full score.
No, not most will pass.

See my survey results here:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
How does an electronic device delay only some frequencies if its FR is flat? Even if its not flat his example will never happen where the first harmonic doesn't start for 3 cycles. Lots of examples of nothing relevant.

OP
nikosidis

nikosidis

No, not most will pass.

I tried with headphones. Still very easy for me. 2ms is not easy.

Sync Delay (5ms)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
How does an electronic device delay only some frequencies if its FR is flat? Even if its not flat his example will never happen where the first harmonic doesn't start for 3 cycles. Lots of examples of nothing relevant.
All pass filter.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
No, not most will pass.

Like the video this test shows something that will never happen, so why bother. How do you delay just the cymbal in a combined cymbal/snare sound? You can't, not even with dsp. The only device that can do this is the drummer.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And what audio electronics does this? And will it shift the first harmonic 900 degrees?
Do you mean first overtone?

Normal electronics is minimum phase, so of course it doesn't do that. But it is possible to have an all pass filter, so as usual, we have to caveat weird exceptions.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
In the video he plays a 400hz and 800hz tone together than delays the 800hz tone by what looks like almost 3 cycles, about 900 degrees, can a all pass do that? You mean theres designers who would put in an all pass filter into there audio electronics? Seems highly unlikely.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I tried with headphones. Still very easy for me. 2ms is not easy.

Sync Delay (5ms)
Yup. As you already observed, not all chain give same clues. How about your clue for headphones vs laptop speakers? Was it all tonality change?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Like the video this test shows something that will never happen, so why bother. How do you delay just the cymbal in a combined cymbal/snare sound? You can't, not even with dsp. The only device that can do this is the drummer.
Will never happen? How do you know your speaker's tweeter and woofer are absolutely in sync? If you are using subwoofer, how do you know your sub and speakers will never off sync?

OP
nikosidis

nikosidis

Yup. As you already observed, not all chain give same clues. How about your clue for headphones vs laptop speakers? Was it all tonality change?
Yes, it was even more easy from the PC speakers. Just like you said :)

OP
nikosidis

nikosidis

Will never happen? How do you know your speaker's tweeter and woofer are absolutely in sync? If you are using subwoofer, how do you know your sub and speakers will never off sync?
At least in the early days of digital recording you also had to set sync. time for the audio card.
I remember I recorded some stuff on my guitar and played over it and it was not in sync.
It is also easy to do things like this in audio editing software. Do a multitrack recording and start to move instruments around. Even a drumset you can record every cymbal and drum on separate tracks. Then start moving, cutting everything and what have you ;)

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
What your hearing is the interference between the 2 sounds in the same freq. range. If you brickwalled 2 sounds so none of there freqs. overlapped I doubt you would hear a difference. So your speaker eg. dosnt do that. And a 1ms delay would be a foot of displacement between the tweeter and woofer!

Top Bottom