• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi does anyone know which Paramtric EQ Amir uses for the reviews?

pokerbarlo

Hi does anyone know which Parametric EQ Amir uses for the reviews? I need one for a windows based PC and for an Android phone. I am planing on purchasing the AKG and want to copy his EQ settings any other program and app suggestions would suffice before I order the headphones and DAC amp

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi does anyone know which Parametric EQ Amir uses for the reviews? I need one for a windows based PC and for an Android phone. I am planing on purchasing the AKG and want to copy his EQ settings any other program and app suggestions would suffice before I order the headphones and DAC amp

As @flipflop has said, he uses Roon. There is a not insignificant cost to Roon (but it is a great all in one player/ library management/ DP suite) but the EAPO/ Peace software is free. So if you just want the EQ function on your PC, go with that first.

OP
P

pokerbarlo

@flipflop @Jimbob54 @Doodski Nice the Peace equalizer EAPO looks like I can copy Amirs exact frequency setting. However wavelet just has specific frequencies I can tweek. Do you guys know of any other options on android wherein I can enter the specific frequencies Amir modified. lol The real reason I am doing this is because I want to save some money just buy the AKG, topping L30, Hidisz S9 for my phone to be able to listen to high res music my other option is a full audiophile speaker setup because I have old Polk speakers that are ok but I feel it is missing a lot. The audiophile speaker setup with subs would probably cost around 7kusd lol

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For Android: Neutron Player has built in parametric EQ. Parametric EQ can be added to Universal Audio Player Pro by purchasing the Tonebooster plug-in (in-app purchase). I use the later as I can't get on with the Neutron Players UI.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Last edited:
OP
P

pokerbarlo

Wavelet uses a 9-band GEQ profile by default, but you can import a custom 127-band GEQ profile as well.
I’ve created a way to import any of Amir’s headphone PEQ profiles into Wavelet here.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/list-of-amirs-headphone-geq-filters.20043/

Wow thanks a lot. would you know if the Hidizs S9 is ok to pair with an AKG K371? I read somewhere in Amir's review that if the headphones are high sensitivity they could have a HISS? Should I go with that or the Topping L30 just to be safe?

ctakim

Forum Donor
One nice aspect of Roon for PEQ is that you can easily toggle it off and on and assess the immediate impact. Probably can do with other software too, but Roon makes this very easy.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Wow thanks a lot. would you know if the Hidizs S9 is ok to pair with an AKG K371? I read somewhere in Amir's review that if the headphones are high sensitivity they could have a HISS? Should I go with that or the Topping L30 just to be safe?
Different use cases, since Hidizs S9 is a DAC+Headphone Amp, whereas Topping L30 is just a headphone amp only.
1620498686865.png

1620498691280.png
As you can see from the 2 photos above, Topping L30 has 10x more power at 33ohms, and better THD+N.

Hidizs S9 is meant to be used on the go, hooked up to the mobile phone.
Topping L30 is meant to be used next to your desktop/laptop.

Pick the use case and the corresponding item.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One nice aspect of Roon for PEQ is that you can easily toggle it off and on and assess the immediate impact. Probably can do with other software too, but Roon makes this very easy.

You can set keyboard shortcuts in PEACE to switch between PEQ settings or turn them off completely.

OP
P

pokerbarlo

Different use cases, since Hidizs S9 is a DAC+Headphone Amp, whereas Topping L30 is just a headphone amp only.
As you can see from the 2 photos above, Topping L30 has 10x more power at 33ohms, and better THD+N.

Hidizs S9 is meant to be used on the go, hooked up to the mobile phone.
Topping L30 is meant to be used next to your desktop/laptop.

Pick the use case and the corresponding item.

I was thinking of getting the S9 first even though I will be listening in the room for now, it will have the added benifit of when I am on the go then buy the L30 in the future, only if there is no HISS, but if there is a chance it has a HISS I will just go straight for the L30 and forgo mobile listening for now and just use my bluetooth earphones.

Last edited:

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
keep in mind that the ak4493 version of the s9 that was reviewed is no longer available due to supply issues. the new s9 pro uses an ESS9026 iirc, but regardless hasn't been reviewed. consider the 9038d, sonata hd pro, qudelix 5k (if you want BT, and hardware PEQ). all have been reviewed here so you can see the various tradeoffs in power and (pretty minor if even audible for the first two) distortion differences.

Top Bottom