• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Star Grounding

OP
D

datrumole

What do you mean by "Open circuit" in reference to a 0.1 Ohm reading?
apologies, eventually my meter went down to 0.0. so either there isn't a 10ohm resistor in the chain, or its too low for my measly dmm to measure, i've edited the original post to reflect this

Sokel

Master Contributor
perhaps not, my pic above is direct from their ASP (A) lineup integrators guide. plus when you have the SMPS integrated like in some of those (not sure if that module does or not) they have taken care of all that nonsense for you. also a lot of those modules use balanced inputs which is a MUCH better situation than i am in :)
They have a semi-balanced scheme as well in their PDF,there it is if it helps:

semi_bal.PNG

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
apologies, eventually my meter went down to 0.0. so either there isn't a 10ohm resistor in the chain, or its too low for my measly dmm to measure, i've edited the original post to reflect this
I have not serviced a class D with SMPS although I have serviced some thousands of class A/AB car amps with SMPS and that 10 Ohms (Or whatever specific SMPS similar resister is in question) resister can be tricky to measure sometimes in circuit because there is a lot going on in there. As you noticed.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Getting back to the first post.
Drawing #1 - The RCA input jacks should be connected to the chassis.
Drawing #2 - The green area should be connected to the chassis at the input connectors.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I second the advice to read the article
"The G word: How to get your audio off the ground" by Bruno Putzeys

OP
D

datrumole

I second the advice to read the article
"The G word: How to get your audio off the ground" by Bruno Putzeys
yeah, I'm not sure how adding another component helps with my current predicament, plus this is a single ended amplifier, my knowledge doesn't extend to taking this guy's balanced/differential preamp and tweaking it for SE operation

my next order of business is going to go down to a single module bypassing the protection module as well to see if I'm getting clean output with just smps and amp, more to come later when I have a chance to test

shorting the two RCA shields helped quite a bit

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Balanced/differential working would fix all your issues. But Bruno's article is also about philosophy and principles.

OP
D

datrumole

Balanced/differential working would fix all your issues. But Bruno's article is also about philosophy and principles.
I'm sure it would, but going out and buying a new $200+ dac for balanced output, looking for group buys or attempting to get some guys board printed and assembled, and incorporating it into my existing chassis, isnt the only path to reducing hum and noise to a manageable level

if we could get the focus of this thread back to just ensuring the modules are properly wired (which I'm sure would be required as well for the bruno module to work in it's optimal form) that would be step 1

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Ignore deployed.

OP
D

datrumole

here is the latest proposed

1) adding a 10R resistor on the RCA bridge (pink)
2) adding in the elliott breaker circuit (light blue)
3) someone is proposing running a short on the GND on the protection board (purple)? seems unnecessary?

in some other updates, moved to just a single module off the SMPS, no RCA jumper, leaving the protection board in place, dead, silence. did this to the other side, identical (well almost, i had to put my ear ON the tweeter to hear a little something) but both completely inaudible from 1", compared to maybe 10" once both modules are up. so i know some level of near dead silence is achievable
1668716312089.png

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The above circuit allows the RCA interconnect cables to act as interference antennas and invites RFI into the unit. It will also have a large amount of Common Impedance Coupling noise.

OP
D

datrumole

The above circuit allows the RCA interconnect cables to act as interference antennas and invites RFI into the unit. It will also have a large amount of Common Impedance Coupling noise.
ok, any suggestions on how to improve or eliminate these issues you brought up

Top Bottom