• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Sound Proofing / Noise Reduction

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hahaha, all these ignorant dumbasses here, it's funny :cool: . Go to a forum like gearslutz. There might be a chance you get a usefull answer. This is really hopeless.
Wow. I was a member of gearspace for over 10 years, and much of the above advice aligns closely with the sound proofing advice there. Troll much?

Wow. I was a member of gearspace for over 10 years, and much of the above advice aligns closely with the sound proofing advice there. Troll much?
I'm not trolling. I'm just a bit sad seeing all these opinions on a forum that carries the name science :). And no, these advices would NOT be accepted at the gearslutz studio forum :).

stoo23

Oh, really ? May I enquire of Your 'Expertise'.
How many recording studios have you built ??
I think a number of people here have at least tried to provide some suitable answers, for someone that obviously doesn't want to re-build their home/basement.

Sadly perhaps None of the Major projects I was involved with still exist, (an all to common problem these days) but was involved with the 2nd 'incarnation' of the Australian Film & TV School and my last Major Studio, was Rhinoceros Recorders, still to this day, Sydney's Largest Studio and the first to be fitted with a Solid State Logic console.
It was eventually sold to INXS.

My 'apologies', if my Limited advice didn't meet your exacting standards.
Perhaps you should 'step up to the plate' and provide a design :)

OP
V
Thank you, stoo23. Exactly. I'm not looking to create a sophisticated, world-class recording studio here in our house. I just wanted to see if it were feasible to achieve decent sound reduction between the two rooms, by adding to or modifying the existing ceiling/floor between them. I've been a member of gearspace for 9 years, and it's another great source of information, but I thought it'd be good to get feedback here too. I'm happy to read any constructive advice from members here who have had experience with such things.

Anyhow, yes, there will be low frequency vibrations from the kick and bass that will vibrate the walls (I record and mix a wide range of genres here, including rock & roll, acoustic, ambient, etc), and I realize it's not realistic to expect all of that to be remedied. But currently we literally have only a single layer of hardwood over a single layer of plywood sub flooring and some yellow fiberglass insulation above a single layer of drywall ceiling. Attached is a pic of a cross section of the floor (visible when I remove a now defunct AC vent). As it is now, it's very poorly insulated.

I've also attached a pic I found online of a floating floor. Looks like there's a 3/8" thick layer of rubber sound barrier material plus two layers of plywood with green glue in between them, and then the flooring. Would something like that be a sensible and efficient approach to preventing noise from downstairs permeating the sunroom upstairs? Or is there another more effective way to do it that would be comparable in terms of expense and effort?

IMG_3467.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 11.43.36 AM.png

Last edited:
Thank you, stoo23. Exactly. I'm not looking to create a sophisticated, world-class recording studio here in our house. I just wanted to see if it were feasible to achieve decent sound reduction between the two rooms, by adding to or modifying the existing ceiling/floor between them. I've been a member of gearspace for 9 years, and it's another great source of information, but I thought it'd be good to get feedback here too. I'm happy to read any constructive advice from members here who have had experience with such things.

Anyhow, yes, there will be low frequency vibrations from the kick and bass that will vibrate the walls (I record and mix a wide range of genres here, including rock & roll, acoustic, ambient, etc), and I realize it's not realistic to expect all of that to be remedied. But currently we literally have only a single layer of hardwood over a single layer of plywood sub flooring and some yellow fiberglass insulation above a single layer of drywall ceiling. Attached is a pic of a cross section of the floor (visible when I remove a now defunct AC vent). As it is now, it's very poorly insulated.

I've also attached a pic I found online of a floating floor. Looks like there's a 3/8" thick layer of rubber sound barrier material plus two layers of plywood with green glue in between them, and then the flooring. Would something like that be a sensible and efficient approach to preventing noise from downstairs permeating the sunroom upstairs? Or is there another more effective way to do it that would be comparable in terms of expense and effort?

View attachment 333387

View attachment 333388
Prolly the lot of you won't listen to me because I'm an arrogant *ssh*le (and I"m proud about that :cool: ),so I say this for the people who read this and who ARE interested in improving sound reduction in stead of trowing cash in a moneypit. When you consult Gearspace and other reliable sources you will see that the good people there (some worked on projects that still exist) strongly advise against trying to reduce sound with a music spectrum with a lightweight construction. And Brian Ravnaas, the inventor of Green Glue, argued some 20 years ago that GG is very effective for reducing sound levels with frequencies above 75 Hz and worthless for reducing frequencies that are lower, like those generated by full spectrum music. Physics is not interested in the point where people consider something to difficult or expensive or boring to care about it, you have to walk the road from beginning to end or you're just fooling yourself and that is called amateurism. You can slap some gypsum or particle board against a ceiling, with or without decoupling systems and with or without mineral wool, and cheer about it with your ASR-friends, but it is way more sensible to first analyze the situation, set realistic goals, get advise from people who know what they are talking about and can calculate/predict some results and then go for the elbow grease track.

stoo23

Gee, well WE should ALL consider Our Collective Selves TOLD ok !!??
Someone Please inform the OP there is absolutely NO point even Trying to Reduce the level of noise / disturbance by Any 'Factor' as the Physics will not be interested in complying (even just a little bit), so just turn up the volume and tell your partner, Bad Luck,.. some bloke who reads stuff on some forums, told me I was wasting my time even trying.
With the greatest of respect to the OP, I'd have to suggest having a Small Studio / Recording space in your basement, kind of suggests by definition,.. "Amateur".
Even so, with a bit of sensible application, hard work, sweat and materials, great results could ensue AND (God forbid), perhaps even a Reduction of levels in the room Above.

When we built "Rhino", we were a bunch of Nobody's but with the help from an Acoustically astute Architect, who simply liked us, we basically Built Everything (Doors, Air-Con' Silencers, Floors, walls and Helmoltz resonators) ourselves and exceeded the Spec's of what was available commercially by all those Sound Isolation companies by quite some factors and ended up with (what was at the time), one of THE Best studios in the country.

"Gearspace" ?? ... "ASR" ??, heck, there was NO internet !!,.. lol
Best we had as a 'drool worthy' reference, was "Recording Engineer & Producer" magazine and some 'selected' reference works, that required serious 'filtering' of suggested Facts and our own knowledge and logic.
Heck, we even had the First 'Live End / Dead End' control room,.. which perhaps obviously worked extremely well and allowed many artists (Michael Hutchence for one), to record their vocals In the control room !!

Anyway,.. I digress, all I am suggesting is VERY Effective Isolation / Absorption etc, (and YES, even of Low frequencies my disbelieving friend), CAN be achieved relatively cheaply, with effort and appropriate design / application. Rhino, was on the 3rd floor of an office building and could Not be heard by Any other Tenants. The loudest thing was the Gym on the ground floor :D

Vieja, I'll contact you directly :)
Cheers :)

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unless you are doing the work yourself, and you really know what you are doing, you can count on the typical builder to screw up whatever you design. It is so easy to short circuit damping layers, leave holes that let sound travel through, etc. The design that avoids this pitfall to some extent is room within a room. Its drawback is that you loose fair bit of space.

Keep in mind that the traditional methods of doubling down on drywall and such will make your room modes worse. You want flexibility to absorb the bass and stiffness is enemy of that.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When you consult Gearspace and other reliable sources you will see that the good people there (some worked on projects that still exist) strongly advise against trying to reduce sound with a music spectrum with a lightweight construction.
Per above, that is bad advice. Lightweight construction is your friend when it comes to bass absorption. Using it in a room within a room is very effective on both fronts (absorption and isolation).

As for GS, there are plenty of myths taken as reality there. There is no substitute for real knowledge.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My home theater is in a family room that is half underground. It is pretty quiet except for HVAC aspects and a poorly isolated ceiling. One length of the ceiling is shared with the central distribution duct and our home office is above. I have baffled the duct and added some dampening to reduce rattling.

With most else fairly isolated and nobody working in the office, the noise floor is low enough that air noise from the vents becomes the most prevalent distraction. Have done some minimal damping but as heat is important as well, have avoided anything that restricts the air flow.

Anyone have suggestions? Maybe some different/special vent covers?

Top Bottom