• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with DAC , AMP/Dac , ex or intern soundcard decision.

Psypuuh

Good day ,

as it says in the headline , I need some help with the right interface .
I bought Byerdinamic DT-900 x pro ( 48 ohm ) headphones and am very happy with them .
I currently live with onboard sound ( Aorus master onboard ALC1220-VB CODEC + ESS ES9118 DAC chip ) which unfortunately sounds like someone singing/speaking through his fist .
Therefore I need a good audio interface.
[Budget 300EUR +-
What I have shortlisted so far:

-Soundblaster AE-9
-Schiit Stack (Not available for months)
-Topping Stack (I was advised against because they have problems with low ohms)

I had so far Soundblaster G6 and Fiio K5 pro here.
I tended to the G6 since I also play a lot and I had many settings with the g6 . And for music I used the direct mode .

I hope you can recommend me something or maybe the ae 9 would already be a good choice lg

If my English is not so good I'm sorry I use DeepL translator.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Welcome to ASR.

A few questions for you:
1) First -- just to make sure the translation is correct -- you are looking for advice about a DAC + headphone amp, correct? In the English translation of your post it says "I need a good audio interface", but an audio interface usually means an ADC/DAC like this:
2) Which specific Schiit devices were you looking at?

3) Which specific Topping devices were you looking at?

MAB

Major Contributor
Hello,
I have the Topping D30pro/A30pro stack. They are fantastic. The A30Pro has no problem driving a vintage pair of Beyerdynamics that are 32 Ohm. It drives everything I have. Amir's review here had no issue with low impedance headphones!
There are a ton of great options, this is just one that I am personally very happy with.

Madeintooting

I currently live with onboard sound ( Aorus master onboard ALC1220-VB CODEC + ESS ES9118 DAC chip ) which unfortunately sounds like someone singing/speaking through his fist .

This should be capable of reasonable performance, are you getting the best possible output from the software?
Foobar and wasapi for example.
Also sometimes the output from the socket directly attached to the motherboard is better than the one on the front of the case.

OP
P

Psypuuh

Welcome to ASR.

A few questions for you:
1) First -- just to make sure the translation is correct -- you are looking for advice about a DAC + headphone amp, correct? In the English translation of your post it says "I need a good audio interface", but an audio interface usually means an ADC/DAC like this:
2) Which specific Schiit devices were you looking at?

3) Which specific Topping devices were you looking at?
1.I did not know whether I need at the low ohm number an amplifier or a Dac is sufficient therefore I have written interface. I did not know how to describe it differently, so the (DAC, DAC/AMP) indication sry.
I thought you guys will tell me if I need an AMP or not .
2.modes 3 / MAGNI 3
3.TOPPING E30 + L30

Last edited:
OP
P

Psypuuh

Hello,
I have the Topping D30pro/A30pro stack. They are fantastic. The A30Pro has no problem driving a vintage pair of Beyerdynamics that are 32 Ohm. It drives everything I have. Amir's review here had no issue with low impedance headphones!
There are a ton of great options, this is just one that I am personally very happy with.
Sorry I forgot to write that I can spend 300EUR ( 50EUR+ its ok ). And your stack is there unfortunately Komplet out. Unfortunately had to put too much into the PC.

OP
P

Psypuuh

This should be capable of reasonable performance, are you getting the best possible output from the software?
Foobar and wasapi for example.
Also sometimes the output from the socket directly attached to the motherboard is better than the one on the front of the case.
I use the Vlc player For musik / films or Netflix . And i use the MB socket .
All drivers are up to date and I don't use equalizers either.
my old PC also had the 1220 chip and the same bad sound a friend lent me his Soundblaster G6 and the problem was gone.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
AE 9 has most up to date DAC (higher tier Sabre 32) from any multichannel equipment including AVR's but I don't think you need that. Seams you ware happy with SBX G6 so question is do you still have it and did you use it trogh Toslink out from MB to G6?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
P

Psypuuh

AE 9 has most up to date DAC (higher tier Sabre 32) from any multichannel equipment including AVR's but I don't think you need that. Seams you ware happy with SBX G6 so question is do you still have it and did you use it trogh Toslink out from MB to G6?
The SB G6 was borrowed . I had them connected via USB and directly Mode . I would buy it if it is good and what more expensive does not make sense. I took the AE-9 in because I can get it new and almost the same price . Know me 0 from what is good and thought here know the people from the can help you for sure am unfortunately a beginner as far as that is concerned.

OP
P

Psypuuh

Don't use VLC for music. It is brilliant for films, but it does not support gapless playback. Try Foobar2000 et al....

Would something like a Dragonfly be any good?
I have a Tidal premium subscription but even there the problems. But thanks for the tip I will download it right away
I am here to find out what is good for me. Do not know dragonfly

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Psypuuh as much as I can see you are more multimedia (movie) oriented so SBX G6 is a good option (supporting legacy Dolby decoding [down mixing to stereo] directly - bit streaming) in your case and it doesn't cost all that much. It's USB EMI rejection rate is not stellar (nor problematic really) however you eliminate that entirely by using Toslink to line in and power it with phone charger when you install and adjust everything (not a pure direct nor it works with optical IO).

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
What's the price of AE-9 that whose so tempting? It actually uses HDMI to the external module hub (which again isn't really a great solution). Usually G6 can be found for 150$.

OP
P

Psypuuh

What's the price of AE-9 that whose so tempting? It actually uses HDMI to the external module hub (which again isn't really a great solution). Usually G6 can be found for 150$.
190EUR =207USD
a buddy would give me his creativ discount only ordered from them for years and do not need it so I would pay 190 and not 300 EUR.

OP
P

Psypuuh

@Psypuuh as much as I can see you are more multimedia (movie) oriented so SBX G6 is a good option (supporting legacy Dolby decoding [down mixing to stereo] directly - bit streaming) in your case and it doesn't cost all that much. It's USB EMI rejection rate is not stellar (nor problematic really) however you eliminate that entirely by using Toslink to line in and power it with phone charger when you install and adjust everything (not a pure direct nor it works with optical IO).
Yes I watch a lot of movies and series besides playing. And music when me after is Tidal mainly.I should still have a phone charger with the connection

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well if it had a remote AE-9 (like older premium SB had) it would be no brainer. You need to ask your self what you really need and what you want (functions, shape, color, convenience) and then check the index of such mesured hire.
I am in the process of leaving streaming services and using DLNA local streaming instead but even there a local on device DSP really helps but you won't have all that much user friendly control of one's in Creative gear. Still I think AE-9 is a good choice for such a price even if you won't ever use it's multi channel capabilities. You already know ES9018K2M 32 is not great (even when implemented properly) and that it's used on lower AE range (G6 uses CS43131).

Does discount valid for their entire lineup and how much would G6 cost you with it?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Weird... That shouldn't be happening... Maybe there's some kind of "sound enhancement" applied in Windows, or sometimes the soundcard/soundchip has a driver utility for processing/enhancing the sound. One of my laptops has a setting for killing the bass when you're listening to the built-in speakers and you have to turn it off when using headphones or external speakers. And there are sometimes optional "spatial" effects, or EQ, etc., that can alter the sound

A few other things that CAN happen:

- You can get noise. In that case an external DAC will help. But it should have its own power supply because USB power is often noisy and sometimes the noise leaks-into the analog side of the DAC. Of course an external headphone amp (without a DAC) would amplify any existing noise.

- The built-in headphone amplifier might not have enough power to get the desired loudness (without distortion) with your particular headphones. If the sound quality is OK at lower levels, an external amplifier is all you need.

- If the built-in-headphone amplifier's output impedance is not low enough (relative to headphone impedance) the headphone impedance (which is not constant across the frequency-range) will "interact" with the output impedance and cause (usually minor) frequency response variations. In that case again, an amplifier is all you need. That's probably not an issue with 48-Ohm headphones.

.P.S.
I bought Byerdinamic DT-900 x pro ( 48 ohm ) headphones and am very happy with them .
Are you sure you're happy? :p Have you plugged them into something else? If they are new they should be OK, but a broken ground connection can cause a weird "vocal remover" effect that kills everything in the "center" (including the centered-bass) and it kills any stereo effect (left & right would be identical).

Last edited:
OP
P

Psypuuh

Well if it had a remote AE-9 (like older premium SB had) it would be no brainer. You need to ask your self what you really need and what you want (functions, shape, color, convenience) and then check the index of such mesured hire.
I am in the process of leaving streaming services and using DLNA local streaming instead but even there a local on device DSP really helps but you won't have all that much user friendly control of one's in Creative gear. Still I think AE-9 is a good choice for such a price even if you won't ever use it's multi channel capabilities. You already know ES9018K2M 32 is not great (even when implemented properly) and that it's used on lower AE range (G6 uses CS43131).

Does discount valid for their entire lineup and how much would G6 cost you with it?
I can have this version if that's what you mean by remote version. You need to ask your self what you really need and what you want. Good sound that it what I want it does not have to look spectacular or something. The rest of the sentence / text I do not understand the translator throws me only word salad out which makes no sense. xD

Attachments

• 70f396d1d1e97df422f9258dd3f2c9c5.jpg
    70f396d1d1e97df422f9258dd3f2c9c5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 56

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@DVDdoug it's not wired, we had it mesured here and if I might say it whose pretty much broken (I have reference ES9018K2M DAC with 102 dB SINAD and that's pretty much as good as it goes).

Top Bottom