• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HELP! Which of these headphone options does the group recommend?

shot4d

hello. I currently have the HIFIMAN He400se with a good 6w amp. but I want to update myself and what I am looking for the most is that it has good sound amplitude for video games and good sound and image detail for high fidelity music in .flac and MQA. I listen to a lot of classic rock, heavy metal and soft indie rock. I like to accurately feel the detail of each instrument and voice and feel an amplitude and image, that is, I am looking for a very analytical headphone that is fun at the same time. I like my hifiman he400se a lot but their image is not so good and they are only very analytical. so I am looking for an upgrade or another hearing aid for my needs. and searching I found all these headphones and I would like to know from your experience which one you recommend me to buy. As I said, I look for a lot of detail in the music with an excellent image and sound amplitude for music and gaming.
My maximum budget is 250 dollars
I found these options but I do not trust the criticism of youtubers. so I want you to recommend me with your experiences.

1: Meze 99-Neo

2: Philips Fidelio X3 (on sale at $169)

3:HIFIMAN HE5XX

4: Monolith M565C

5: beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Edition 250ohm

6: Monolith M1060

7: SIVGA Phoenix

8: Philips SHP9500

9: Sennheiser HD599

are those 9 options. what do you recomend me?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hello. I currently have the HIFIMAN He400se with a good 6w amp. but I want to update myself and what I am looking for the most is that it has good sound amplitude for video games and good sound and image detail for high fidelity music in .flac and MQA. I listen to a lot of classic rock, heavy metal and soft indie rock. I like to accurately feel the detail of each instrument and voice and feel an amplitude and image, that is, I am looking for a very analytical headphone that is fun at the same time. I like my hifiman he400se a lot but their image is not so good and they are only very analytical. so I am looking for an upgrade or another hearing aid for my needs. and searching I found all these headphones and I would like to know from your experience which one you recommend me to buy. As I said, I look for a lot of detail in the music with an excellent image and sound amplitude for music and gaming.
My maximum budget is 250 dollars
I found these options but I do not trust the criticism of youtubers. so I want you to recommend me with your experiences.

1: Meze 99-Neo

2: Philips Fidelio X3 (on sale at $169)

3:HIFIMAN HE5XX

4: Monolith M565C

5: beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Edition 250ohm

6: Monolith M1060

7: SIVGA Phoenix

8: Philips SHP9500

9: Sennheiser HD599

are those 9 options. what do you recomend me?
I'll throw a curve ball at you. A decent dynamic driver headphone will be a nice contrast to the hifiman . Try the Sennheiser 560S or the Beyerdynamic 880 600 ohm version. From an ASR standpoint, the Sennheiser ticks more boxes in terms of performance measures but the 880 gets plenty of subjective love.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Have you already tried applying EQ to your HE400se?
Amir states in his review that filling the 2kHz dip improves the spatial quality.
Looks like you already picked a nice headphone and a bit of EQ could make it even better and even provide the 'imaging' you're looking for.
Cutest av I've seen in a long time.

OP
S

shot4d

Have you already tried applying EQ to your HE400se?
Amir states in his review that filling the 2kHz dip improves the spatial quality.
Looks like you already picked a nice headphone and a bit of EQ could make it even better and even provide the 'imaging' you're looking for.
I don't know anything about EQ. Is there a tutorial where they teach how to do what you say for the hifiman? and with which EQ program to use?

OP
S

shot4d

I'll throw a curve ball at you. A decent dynamic driver headphone will be a nice contrast to the hifiman . Try the Sennheiser 560S or the Beyerdynamic 880 600 ohm version. From an ASR standpoint, the Sennheiser ticks more boxes in terms of performance measures but the 880 gets plenty of subjective love.
but which of the two to choose? the 880 pro or the sennheiser 560s?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think anyone can or should make your decisions for you. I would audition both (and any others). Use amazon if possible if you can't audition at a shop. Generous return windows.

threni

Major Contributor

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would get the Hifiman Sundara, its on sale for $299.99 and I believe is better for details than any of the ones you listed.

OP
S

shot4d

I don't think anyone can or should make your decisions for you. I would audition both (and any others). Use amazon if possible if you can't audition at a shop. Generous return windows.
It's difficult in my situation, because a friend wants to buy my hifiman he400se for 100 dollars but I still haven't decided to sell it and that's why I made this post asking about it.
Now the problem is that I can't buy the 880 pro and the hd560s through amazon at the same time because I don't have enough money to buy both at the same time, I can only buy one of the two.
That's why I seek experience and advice in this group.
Like I said I like the hifiman 400se but they are very analytical and I am looking for a combination of analytical and fun but not as dynamic and bright as the 990 pro which sounds horrible to me.
So, between the 600 ohm 880 pro and the HD560s, which has better sound detail, which is better in analytics but with some body or fun, and which has better imaging for gaming sound positioning?

OP
S

shot4d

I would get the Hifiman Sundara, its on sale for $299.99 and I believe is better for details than any of the ones you listed.
My maximum budget is 250 dollars and if I buy the sundara it would not only be 300 dollars, I would also have to pay shipping and taxes because it exceeds 270 dollars due to Amazon laws to my country. then the cost would be almost 400 dollars.

jensgk

Forum Donor
I would get the HD560S:

Rayman30

Forum Donor
My maximum budget is 250 dollars and if I buy the sundara it would not only be 300 dollars, I would also have to pay shipping and taxes because it exceeds 270 dollars due to Amazon laws to my country. then the cost would be almost 400 dollars.

I am not convinced any of the headphones you mentioned will provide noticeable more detail, I think the pair you have are already pretty good for that.

OP
S

shot4d

I am not convinced any of the headphones you mentioned will provide noticeable more detail, I think the pair you have are already pretty good for that.
and the SENNHEISER hd 560s? which one do you think is better the 400se or the hd560s?

solderdude

Grand Contributor

When you hate the treble on the 990 you'll hate the DT880 even more.

HD560S (good for gaming and hifi)

1: Meze 99-Neo too dark
2: Philips Fidelio X3 (on sale at $169) not a good headphone.
3:HIFIMAN HE5XX no better than HE400S
4: Monolith M565C (don't know it)
5: beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Edition 250ohm Too trebly
6: Monolith M1060 (don't know it either)
7: SIVGA Phoenix (don't know it)
8: Philips SHP9500 would not recommend
9: Sennheiser HD599 too warm sounding

Just my opinion, yours may differ.

nyxnyxnyx

Just my personal experience but the M1060 was underwhelming in comparison with the hype back then.
It was branded as a "budget LCD" by some and when I bought it the sound was... mediocre. The build quality seemed okay though and it looks kinda good.
I would go with a HD600 based on your preferences (good imaging, fidelity, detail retrieval)

Rayman30

Forum Donor
and the SENNHEISER hd 560s? which one do you think is better the 400se or the hd560s?

I have heard HD600 and own HD650, I also have owned HE4XX... so assuming the HD560 and 400se are similar to my experience. The Hifiman has a larger stage and better separation, the Sennheiser has a more intimate stage and better tonality.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom