• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help wanted looking for speakers tv/bedroom

staticV3

Master Contributor
Budget: while I don't have a fixed budget, my initial spending limit is $200-$300 (not including the sub).

Room size: living room is approximately 192 square feet.

Setup: I'm open to both active and passive setups, depending on which offers the best performance and availability within my budget.

Future expansion: I'm not gonna mess up with the setup at all except for adding a subwoofer later.

Listening preferences: My primary focus is on bass, especially sub-bass, for movies and bass-heavy hip-hop.

Listening distance: around 8 ft from speakers

Source: My audio source is solely my tv (optical, rca, hdmi, bluetooth). I don't own any audiophile hardware like DACs, turntables etc. and I don't plan on getting any in the future.
Would you like the speakers to offer good bass performance on their own, or is that irrelevant as you'll add a sub anyway?

Also I'm assuming you're in the US?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Definitely M-Audio BX8 D3 and basic balanced DAC with optical input (AKM one preferably). You won't get there for 300$, for 600 if you are lucky.
Won't recommend subwoofer without dedication in handling it, proper integration ain't easy. I don't guarantee you will even be satisfied with mentioned, lot depends on room gain and placement.

cat

Also I'm assuming you're in the US
forgot to mention where im from. im actually in india. my bad!

Would you like the speakers to offer good bass performance on their own, or is that irrelevant as you'll add a sub anyway?
its not a requirement, but it would be highly beneficial if the speakers themselves offer good bass performance. unlike the Edifier R1280DBS, which automatically reduces its bass when connected to a subwoofer.

Last edited:

cat

wow a pair of 8" JBL for only 32k? sounds like an incredible deal but i cant afford it right now, im still trying to save up. do you think it'll sell out quickly or might the price will go up soon?

also, are they primarily designed for music production and near field listening, or can they handle film audio as well?

i just noticed you can buy a single unit, which is cool. if they go on sale, i might order one and then save up for the other. by the way, how long do these speakers typically last? are there any other options that fit my budget? I'll do some research while i save up.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@cat that whose sale with 44% cut. On peace they were 31K rupies per pair. Don't buy one buy one. They last until power supply brakes usually but same can be repaired in most cases.
Difference between speakers is how wide dispersion they have. If it's wide it will interact more with the room and get bigger boost out of it if it's narrow it will be more direct. Low bass is omnidirectional, to get more bass you need large woffer's, larger they are you will get more. From time to time there is a JBL sale in India as you aren't first one to ask from there. When buying try to buy locally with valid warranty as that's usually not the case in India. Have a nice time and enjoy your day.

Dreamers2

Also I'm assuming you're in the US?

I will have a kinda similar setup
My Dac is Audiend id14mk2 with kali lp6v2
How can i add a sub to the mix? should i like split the cables from the dac to the speakers? looking for an active sub

staticV3

Master Contributor
I will have a kinda similar setup
My Dac is Audiend id14mk2 with kali lp6v2
How can i add a sub to the mix? should i like split the cables from the dac to the speakers? looking for an active sub
You have multiple options.

If your Sub has Line in and out, then you could do Audient->Sub->Kali.
Even better if the Sub has a built-in high-pass filter to filter out bass from the Kali.

If your Sub doesn't have Line out, then you could do Audient Line out 1/2 -> Kali and Line out 3/4 -> Sub.
Even better if your audio source is a Windows PC, as then you can use Equalizer APO to set up a digital crossover (LPFed Sub and HPFed Mains).

If the Audient's Line out 3/4 doesn't work in your setup, then you can of course use a simple splitter to plug both the Kali and Sub into Line out 1/2.

Dreamers2

You have multiple options.

If your Sub has Line in and out, then you could do Audient->Sub->Kali.
Even better if the Sub has a built-in high-pass filter to filter out bass from the Kali.

If your Sub doesn't have Line out, then you could do Audient Line out 1/2 -> Kali and Line out 3/4 -> Sub.
Even better if your audio source is a Windows PC, as then you can use Equalizer APO to set up a digital crossover (LPFed Sub and HPFed Mains).

If the Audient's Line out 3/4 doesn't work in your setup, then you can of course use a simple splitter to plug both the Kali and Sub into Line out 1/2.
massive thanks, appreciate
btw is it possible to run the audient with both outputs on?

Top Bottom