• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

help me not to waste any more time

musica

unfortunately it causes my disease (infantile cerebral palsy). From the time I was a kid up until a few years ago, I've been listening to what my parents were listening to. then fast internet arrived in my country and I started choosing and at 55 I still don't know what music I really like.
How can I understand it, without getting lost in the various musical genres and sub-genres?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Listen to lots of different things...streaming makes that much easier (paid or unpaid)...where do your ears, brain and heart lead you?
I listen to a wide range of things that all have a place for me...jazz (old and brand new), classical, rock, electronic/ambient being the main ones...

OP
M

musica

give me some guidance by posting videos of various types of music
thank you

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Well, but to the truth of your title, that would save you time but waste my time...not to be snarky, but there are many, many ways to check out new music. Look at "Top 2022" lists etc. If you are interested in Jazz, there is a great ongoing thread here with people posting favorites with links that I participate in. There is one for classical too, and I think ambient as well. Music is very individual and that's what makes it fun. And time consuming. But unlike the old days, you don't have to buy something to hear something. That's huge.

Pitchfork and other respected online music journalism sites are also great sources of information...

I don't really like or use music videos very often...and don't use You Tube for music playing, unlike some others...it's all what you are used to.

Each genre has its "things you must hear" lists out there...the jazz world for instance is replete with such things.

The Spotify algorithm is very good at finding things for instance once you start to like things and put them in your library...it's pretty accurate at picking things I would want to give a listen to in the Daily Recommendations or Release Radar playlist...

Good luck!

rockrolla

Music is all about emotions, it makes you feel happy , sad , powerful, serene, melancholic , energetic , etc in a good way and it's something very personal , check some random playlsts on Spotify and listen to the first 10 seconds of each music, if it's something you are enjoying listen to the rest and make your own playlist , them listen to the suggested tracks over the playlist you created , that's what I usually do when I want to find new stuff

Edit : personally don't recommend internet sites or YouTube , it's overwhelming , you Google for the best 2022 albums for instance and you get a 50-100 list of recommendations and end up liking one or two with a lot of wasted time

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you've really got no idea where to start then try some of the threads here and see if anything takes your fancy. Apart from the Jazz one up thread there are metal, classical, electronic and a load of others. Once you've got some starting points most of the streaming services/sites will point you at other things (people who liked this also liked X,Y,Z) which should speed things up. I'd suggest giving anything a try.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
give me some guidance by posting videos of various types of music
thank you

Can't be done.

Every user would choose different tracks to represent different genres, and even if the thread became thousands of pages long, it still wouldn't cover a fraction of the different types.

You won't get anywhere if you just focus on genres/types. For every genre defining artist I really enjoy, there's thousands of equally genre defining artist that sound like garbage to me. There's no easy solution. Lots and lots of exposure + curiosity is the way to go, IMO.

Digby

Major Contributor
unfortunately it causes my disease (infantile cerebral palsy). From the time I was a kid up until a few years ago, I've been listening to what my parents were listening to. then fast internet arrived in my country and I started choosing and at 55 I still don't know what music I really like.
I can relate to the internet part of this. Before the internet there was almost ZERO access to music that wasn't common on the radio. Yes, you might hear a pirate station. Yes, you might go to a record shop and be enlightened/berated by the sweaty geek behind the counter, but the Internet has revolutionised the way music is listened to.

I have the opposite problem in that when the internet came I very quickly found what I liked. What I liked changed every now and then, but without the internet, I'm sure I wouldn't have heard a good 95% of my favourite music. So it really has been a blessing for me.

One could argue that listening to music is a waste of time full stop, but I'm almost never as satisfied by a film as by music; reading can be great, and you can get just as lost in it (sometimes even more so), but it doesn't have the immediacy of enjoying music.

OP
M

musica

the music i missed from the 80s up to 2010 and beyond, is it important to listen or not?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try this and I'm sure you'll find something you'll really like. I use it to test audio gear since it's got a good variety of fun stuff.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
the music i missed from the 80s up to 2010 and beyond, is it important to listen or not?
So the real answer is that you can die very peacefully without having listened to any of it. There is more than enough music from before that era that you can spend your entire life on listening to. Remember billions and billions of music lovers never got see the eighties in the first place.

The opposite is also true - that you can spend a lifetime enjoying everything that was produced after 1980.

The question here is: what is it that you are really asking from us? If you are genuine, you have to think this through. You can not ask people to tell you what you might like if you don't have the slightest clue yourself. That's like asking people if they know what might be your favourite decimal number.

I hope this helps.

OP
M

musica

I like very dynamic, uncompressed music.
with the bass deep but not bloated the dynamic female vocals.
surprise instruments must enter the piece, even strange instruments, this amuses me a lot

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Just join a music streaming service and start working your way through the Genre list. It’s called self discovery and the journey is as important as the destination. When you hear a song you like, hit the like button and eventually the music streaming algorithm will start giving you curated playlists based on your previous likes.

Giving you shortcuts will leave gaps in your music memory and you will always wonder what you missed. This is absolutely a personal journey of discovery that you don’t want to miss or take a short cut for.

Best of luck to you.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How can I understand it, without getting lost in the various musical genres and sub-genres?
I agree with the other posts: you're in the golden age of efficient music sampling, with subscription streaming. I get 95 million cuts of HD music on Amazon, for example.

If no-one else has specifically said it, just

1. Grab some of the playlists provided by the streaming service and quick-sample the genre or sub-genre playlists. Note the artists for songs you like. You may not have to listen to each song from start to finish to get an idea of what you want to spend more time with.

2. Then, if you find an artist you like, go to the list of most-played songs for that artist, quick sample the top 10 or 20, and check off the ones you like to be assigned to your 'library' (collection of personal recordings). There's a place to do that for each song listing as you are listening to it if you want to add it to your library.

3. Finally, when you want to listen more carefully, open your music library to show all the albums, and sort the list of albums so that the most-recently-added items are at the top. Then listen more carefully to the most popular songs on the most popular albums for the artist, as identified by the streaming service. (That said, I also sample the less-popular songs, too, and sometimes like them more.)

4. As you go along, if you decide you're not interested in a library-checked song or album after all, remember to un-check it. The library that remains will be the music you like, and you can sort it all sorts of different ways when you go back to listen.

For completely different reasons than yours, I spent over 20 years away from listening to music, and had to catch up. The steps above are how I did it. I'm still doing it two years after starting the process. But the long journey is worth it and the method works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom