• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

help me not to waste any more time

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Do you ever listen to the radio? Different radio stations specialize in different genres.

There's an almost unlimited number of genres & sub-genres and if you like rock or classic rock that doesn't mean you'll like every song in that genre. And most music falls-into multiple genres... A song may be classified as pop, dance, and disco, etc.

There are several streaming services with virtually unlimited music. iTunes and Amazon are super-popular. You can sign-up on Spotify for free (or there's a paid premium option). When you click Search, a list of genres pops-up, or you can type-in a genre.

Do you like the music your parents listen to? I'm about a generation ahead of you so your parents probably listened to the same music I grew up with. I mostly listen to classic rock from the 1970s but I also like a lot of rock from the early 60s (Beach Boys, Beatles, etc) and some newer music. I don't own much music newer than about 2000, and most of that is music from the same old bands, and a lot of it is from live concerts by those old bands/artists. I actually like a LOT of different music except I don't like most rap or modern jazz. I have to be in the right mood to listen to classical. I don't listen to opera since it's not in English but I do enjoy musicals like Les Miserables or Phantom of the Opera which are essentially English-opera in a more-modern style.

Top 10 Genres.

Here is a morre extensive list.

P.S.
If you like "good-old rock & roll" there is another lesser-known genre you might like - Zydeco. It's from Louisiana. It's your basic rock band, but add an accordion (played in a "lively" style) and a washboard (which they call a rub-board) and sometimes the Lyrics are in French.

Last edited:
OP
M

musica

I agree with the other posts: you're in the golden age of efficient music sampling, with subscription streaming. I get 95 million cuts of HD music on Amazon, for example.

If no-one else has specifically said it, just

1. Grab some of the playlists provided by the streaming service and quick-sample the genre or sub-genre playlists. Note the artists for songs you like. You may not have to listen to each song from start to finish to get an idea of what you want to spend more time with.

2. Then, if you find an artist you like, go to the list of most-played songs for that artist, quick sample the top 10 or 20, and check off the ones you like to be assigned to your 'library' (collection of personal recordings). There's a place to do that for each song listing as you are listening to it if you want to add it to your library.

3. Finally, when you want to listen more carefully, open your music library to show all the albums, and sort the list of albums so that the most-recently-added items are at the top. Then listen more carefully to the most popular songs on the most popular albums for the artist, as identified by the streaming service. (That said, I also sample the less-popular songs, too, and sometimes like them more.)

4. As you go along, if you decide you're not interested in a library-checked song or album after all, remember to un-check it. The library that remains will be the music you like, and you can sort it all sorts of different ways when you go back to listen.

For completely different reasons than yours, I spent over 20 years away from listening to music, and had to catch up. The steps above are how I did it. I'm still doing it two years after starting the process. But the long journey is worth it and the method works.

do i start from here?

Last edited:
OP
M

musica

too many playlists for genres and sub-genres, so I get lost

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
too many playlists for genres and sub-genres, so I get lost
I started in the old days with a book. 1000 best albums of all time. Except now you don't need to buy cds, just try on streaming.

OP
M

musica

listen without tidying up, isn't it dispersive?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
listen without tidying up, isn't it dispersive?

If you want to find music you truly enjoy, rather than the stuff other people tell you to enjoy, you'll have be very dispersive at first.

You can't tidy up if you haven't yet made a personal reference for what can be discarded.

Just listen to a lot of random crap and be prepared to mostly dish out some hard 'nope'. And when you finally strike gold, use that as a starting point for further exploration.

OP
M

musica

it takes years to strike gold in this meria of playlists of geberi and sub-genres.
how you do it?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
it takes years to strike gold in this meria of playlists of geberi and sub-genres.
how you do it?
One song at a time like everyone else. There are no shortcuts. The time you have spent here asking the same questions you could have spent enjoying music and listening discovery. Stop posting and start listening ;)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
how you do it?
You don't. This isn't a complex jigsaw with a clear end result.

But you need an anchor. I don't care whether it's an album, a song, an artist a composer. But you need something to start the "if you like this you might like this" trail. And that's regardless of whether you are reading reviews, using streaming services or whatever.

And for goodness sake, save the songs you like, whether you write them down or add to favourites on streaming. Nothing worse than never being able to find something you heard and liked in the wild. Shazam and the like can be useful if you hear things on radios /out and about.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
how you do it?
I do it by listneing to radio paradise. Every few tracks there will be something that makes me sit up and take notice. I then check into the other stuff that artist does.

RP has a specifica style though. If it is not to your taste, perhaps try a different radio stream that better matches your prefeference.

At the end of the day though, you can't find music you like with out listenening. And some of that time you'll be listening to stuff you don't like. That is what the skip button is for :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
how you do it?

I've been digging for 30 years, and I'm still relatively young :D

In the 90's I often borrowed a bag full of CDs from the library. Just picked a ton based on nothing but cool cover art and/or artist name/album title. Then gave them all a quick listen to hear if any of them deserved more attention.

I'd say the best plan is no plan. Just expose yourself to a lot of sources of music and make a note when anything catches your ear.

Radio, YouTube, streaming services, movies, commercials, TV, video games, friends sharing their latest discoveries etc. etc.

Last edited:
OP
M

musica

Is it better to listen to playlists of one genre in one day or to switch or listen to different genres in the same day?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Is it better to listen to playlists of one genre in one day or to switch or listen to different genres in the same day?

Doesn't matter, IMO. The important thing is that you enjoy it. It shouldn't feel like work.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I still don't know what music I really like.

Three weeks into this thread.

Name 3 things you've found that you think you "like", at least, at the moment.

---

If I find something I like, I'll often look to see who is playing in the group, and see where else they've played.

Top Bottom