• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me add and AUX input ro a sony CFM-D1

Hello, I want to add an AUX input into a sony CFM-D1 and I know anything about electronic. I've watched a video where a guy disassemble the same radio on YT and I've managed to disassemble mine which I want to clean and fix the antena holder which was broken with some liquid cement.

The radio has 2 mode: Radio and cassette so I'd have to hack any of these 2 modes to insert the aux without losing the original signal. I am not sure if it would be better to insert it into the cassette mode or the radio mode.

In the picture I think I've located the audio that comes from the cassette and I wonder if I could connect the aux cable into the same connection with some kind of 2x1 connector if that thing exist. Otherwise I am all ears.

4856.jpg

radio1.jpg

radio2.jpg

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Make your life easy, get a headphone jack to cassette adapter and play through the tape deck. Here's one, there's a surprising array of these still available, none of them are going to be very good quality so get one cheap with a long enough cord and just assume it's going to wear out at some point.

OP
panchoskywalker
Make your life easy, get a headphone jack to cassette adapter and play through the tape deck. Here's one, there's a surprising array of these still available, none of them are going to be very good quality so get one cheap with a long enough cord and just assume it's going to wear out at some point.
I already tried 2 of them and sound was horrible, sound goes on and off and eventually they both stop working.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi that pointed to input won't work as an aux input. The signal from the tape head is tiny and requires alot of EQ (called bias) and a large amount of gain. Any normal aux input signal will distort horribly.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I would try tacking into the volume control pot. Its likely after the initail gain stage so should be compatible with a modest line input ( maybe ). There's three pins at the base of it. The pot is likely mono. So still not ideal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-211843~2.png
    Screenshot_20220327-211843~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 315

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you reallly want to MOD this and add the AUX input then solder on @ the MODE SELECTOR switch. That's the most obvious point but from your picture it seem you will need to remove the mainboard.

WARNING: Be very nice and gentle with that radio antenna. They break easily and are damaged easily and as you can see the wires coming from the antenna are very small. So gentle...

NOTE: @Vini darko suggestion of soldering on at the volume pot works too.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I attached a service manual to this comment for you. Here are the service manual pages.
sony a.png

sony b.png

sony c.png

Attachments

• cfmd1jmk2.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 125

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello, I want to add an AUX input into a sony CFM-D1 and I know anything about electronic. I've watched a video where a guy disassemble the same radio on YT and I've managed to disassemble mine which I want to clean and fix the antena holder which was broken with some liquid cement.

The radio has 2 mode: Radio and cassette so I'd have to hack any of these 2 modes to insert the aux without losing the original signal. I am not sure if it would be better to insert it into the cassette mode or the radio mode.

In the picture I think I've located the audio that comes from the cassette and I wonder if I could connect the aux cable into the same connection with some kind of 2x1 connector if that thing exist. Otherwise I am all ears.
This would probably be the easiest and fairly cheap way to do it. They work great. Just plug into any source you want to use, set the frequency, tune radio to the frequency. Sound will be excellent. This way no mods needed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Upon seeing the service manual. DO NOT use the mode selector switch to patch in a extra input. Use the volume control.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This would probably be the easiest and fairly cheap way to do it. They work great. Just plug into any source you want to use, set the frequency, tune radio to the frequency. Sound will be excellent. This way no mods needed.
A excellent method! It saves the danger of soldering into circuitry with that IC101 pre-power-amp stuff going on.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Pin three of the volume control would be the one to tack into for signal hot (i think). Pin one would be for ground. I see pin two going to the pin 12 of the IC wich is poweramp input. However it would be mono and not likely to want much voltage. Also there would a fair chance to run into noise issues.
I like slayers suggestion. Sounds like a fun gadget.

OP
panchoskywalker
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

From what I read there's the FM transmitter option and the soldering into volume pin option.

The FM option seem so easy, I might try that but the other option to have everything inside the case is more sexy.

I'll have to think.

Top Bottom