• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help getting this turntable safely through a cross state move

meep14

Hi folks, I have a vertical record player from Gramavox and I would really like to safely get it through a cross state move. This thing is super precious to me, with a lot of sentimental value.

I think greatest point of failure would be the tonearm, and was wondering what is the best way to secure something like this, to increase the likely hood that the movers don't break it. It looks like in order to remove the arm, I would have to desolder, so I would rather not go that route. The company that made this is no longer in business, so I can't buy a new one or ask support on how to best approach this.

I also considered bringing it with me on the flight, but concerned that I may end up breaking it myself, or risk TSA not allowing it to be taken with me. Below is a picture of what the record player looks like. Thank you for your time!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR! I found this unboxing video of the Gramavox from 2016. You can see how the tonearm was secured with elastic bands by the manufacturer...

1656453385647.png

Video here:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely should remove the counterweight and, if it can be removed, the platter too. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can't figure something this simple out...maybe just time to go digital :) Sorry, couldn't resist. Just follow the original manufacturer's packing/moving instructions or at least block/isolate/secure any possible movement. Couldn't be that hard....

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If the Stylus is removable - remove it and pack it seperately and very carefully...

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For odd shapes, get blocks of foam at the hobby section of a store and custom cut them to eliminate movement. Then wrap in bubble wrap and get a roll of masking paper to fill all around so it passes the shake test. Tape everything in place and it'll be fine.

Top Bottom