• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones listening : does the "jack" cable matter ?

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

As I am more and more listening to music with a headphone, I wanted to have your opinions on the importance of the jack cable that goes from the headphone amp to the headphone itself.

Of course, my headphones all come with detachable chord and that one can be replaced easily.
Looking around I've spotted some "delirium priced" cables (like 500€.. about the headphone's price !).
But some others are more decently priced ( somewhere in between 12€ and 45€).

As I would like to change for a different length, I was wondering if the cable matters or if the lowest priced one will do about the same job as the higher priced one...
I know the importance of a digital cable does not really matter.
I am unsure if the same goes for "analog" cables...

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and plese forgive if the question is stupi

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It does not matter unless the cable is too short or too long, has inadequate strain relief, or has some obvious and measurable engineering problem, such as microphonics. It can be difficult to guess correctly whether any replacement cable passes muster on the latter two points without actually buying and testing it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be concerned about purchasing a cable that doesn't make noise when you tap it, rub it, have it against your clothing and other reasons a cable can make noise that you hear clearly. It can be a major nuisance when that occurs in poorly put together cables. I own Sennheisers and the cable is dead silent but I have owned other headphones and earphones where the cable was very noisy. I have heard good results from peeps here when purchasing cables from Amazon.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
P

PenguinMusic

I would be concerned about purchasing a cable that doesn't make noise when you tap it, rub it, have it against your clothing and other reasons a cable can make noise that you hear clearly. It can be a major nuisance when that occurs in poorly put together cables. I own Sennheisers and the cable is dead silent but I have owned other headphones and earphones where the cable was very noisy. I have heard good results from peeps here when purchasing cables from Amazon.

Hi,

Indeed, I am nooking for cables that have no "braid".
I have noticed that braided cables are more audible when they rub your clothes that non braided one.
I would also try to get cables not too stiff that in my experience are also much more audible when rubbed.

Sennheiser cable are really not stiff and the braid if indeed unobstrusive :)

OP
P

PenguinMusic

I would use whatever's been provided by the headphone manufacturer unless, as @Doodski and @Dialectic said above, it was microphonic. This has nothing to do with sound quality, only your comfort.

@solderdude's measurements & analysis of the Audioquest Nighthawk headphones and their silver cables is a good read: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-quest/ Basic point is that materials with higher conductivity only increase the signal amplitude and nothing else.

That site is solderdude's one ?
Did not know that :)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
One thing that has not been mentioned yet is that the resistance of a cable adds to the effective output impedance of your source in terms of voltage division calculations. Normally this isn't a problem, but some stock IEM cables have been found to have resistances as high a 2 ohms, which when connected to mobile devices which often don't have very low output impedance themselves, can result in audible changes to the frequency response of your IEMs, especially multi-driver balanced armature types which often have low input impedance that varies wildly with frequency. As a general rule, you want to keep the output impedance (source + cable) less than 1/8th the impedance of your headphones to avoid audible changes in frequency response.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hum...
But I would like a SHORTER cable :-(
3 meter is just too long in my case...
So I guess an extension cable is irrelevant here :-(

Regards.
I've got Sennheiser HD 579 & 599 headphones. The 579 came with only a 3 meter cable, terminated with a 1/4 inch plug. The 599 came with both 3 & 1 meter cables. Got the 579 'phones first, had to buy a 1 meter cable with a 3.5 mm connector. Has a noisy braid over the cable. The stock Sennheiser 1 meter cable is better. I suspect replacing the cable is a fine idea, but I recommend seeing if the company that makes the headphones sells replacement cables.

Top Bottom