• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Upgrade Path: Electrostatic vs Dynamic vs Planar

If I want a major upgrade from the midrange cans I have now, what's the best upgrade path?

• Electrostatic headphones & amp

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • TOTL Planar headphones

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • TOTL Dynamic headphones

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
ZMF Verite Closed has a lot of fans.

The wood looks appropriately fancy for the price point.

From the description, it sounds like a cottage industry set up, which isn't a plus in my mind when it comes to warranty or parts.

What do they have going for them compared to the competition?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
IMO, wood is a poor choice for a HP enclosure. Not uniform. Not uniformily dimensionally stable (expands/contracts differently along and across the grain). Hygroscopic to boot.. Terrible. But pretty:)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
IMO, wood is a poor choice for a HP enclosure. Not uniform. Not uniformily dimensionally stable (expands/contracts differently along and across the grain). Hygroscopic to boot.. Terrible. But pretty:)

I guess they could use MDF like speakers.

But that's not very pretty.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh....

Closed back vs open back for a $700 price difference?
Yes. But the HD820 is the best closed hp I've auditioned so far (as owner of a HD800). It's Soundstage is the most open one and close to the HD800S, and there is no overblown bass. Tonality is also very close to the HD800S.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The wood looks appropriately fancy for the price point.

From the description, it sounds like a cottage industry set up, which isn't a plus in my mind when it comes to warranty or parts.

What do they have going for them compared to the competition?

Zach, the owner, is great guy and will certainly take care of you as long as he's in business. As you guessed though, it is a fairly small shop.

His headphones are more on the euphonic side and there are several different styles of earpads available to customize each model's sound.

And of course they're beautiful. The urushi lacquer on the Fostex TH900 is the only thing I can think of on the same level.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those seem to be unobtanium.

I don't know if I can consider models I can't buy anymore.
I may give the HifiMan Ananda an audition.
I have come to think $1000 for headphones is the threshold of diminishing returns... Although I haven't cared that much to the HD600, I wouldn't mind for an HD800...

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I may give the HifiMan Ananda an audition.
I have come to think $1000 for headphones is the threshold of diminishing returns... Although I haven't cared that much to the HD600, I wouldn't mind for an HD800...

I have to consider how much more I want to invest in the Sennheiser brand now that Axel Grell has left after 27 years.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have to consider how much more I want to invest in the Sennheiser brand now that Axel Grell has left after 27 years.

Is the HD 560s an Axel Grell headphone? Maybe an audition will decide that. But, back to the opening question, have you heard any of the ZMF dynamics?

goldark

Forum Donor
I second the recommendations of the HiFiMan Anandas that I've seen from a couple of posters. I haven't heard a ton of high end headphones, but I do prefer it to the HD800 and LCD-X. At $600 open box on HiFiMan's website with a 1 year warranty right now. I don't think there's a better deal in high-end headphones. And if you care about the Harman target, it does have a high preference rating.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/ananda-openbox.html?src=page0925

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Is the HD 560s an Axel Grell headphone? Maybe an audition will decide that. But, back to the opening question, have you heard any of the ZMF dynamics?

No, I haven't heard any ZMF Dynamics.

I'd never even heard of the brand until this thread.

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No, I haven't heard any ZMF Dynamics.

I'd never even heard of the brand until this thread.
The brand is ZMF. Dynamic is the type of driver (cone).

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Axell Grell had nothing to do with this one. This is a low budget headphone with a foot in the 'higher end' headphone sound trying to bring uncolored sound in this busy price segment. It is a bit colored (clear empasis) in the 5kHz region but can be solved if so desired.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Lots of discussion about dynamic headphones, but only 3 votes for dynamic?

That may be because most headphones are dynamic and you haven't included the option
O I don't care about the operating principle.

Most folks that care about sound quality realize that it is not only dynamic headphones that are the best possible solution.
One can find more people that believe only stats or planars are 'superior'.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I second the recommendations of the HiFiMan Anandas that I've seen from a couple of posters. I haven't heard a ton of high end headphones, but I do prefer it to the HD800 and LCD-X. At $600 open box on HiFiMan's website with a 1 year warranty right now. I don't think there's a better deal in high-end headphones. And if you care about the Harman target, it does have a high preference rating.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/ananda-openbox.html?src=page0925

Thanks for the suggestion.

But when I look at them, I have a number of questions:

What makes them significantly better than my current planars, the HiFi Man HE 400i?

Are they really a major upgrade?

Or is it more of a side grade / slight upgrade?

Would I be spending $600 to get something that is only a smidge better than what I already have?

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No offense, but I don't understand the logic of this, especially given I don't own any Topping gear.

Should I also ask what are the favorite headphones of the RME engineers who built the ADI-2 Pro?

They may not have an HRTF similar to me, either, but at least it's the same gear that I own.
I do agree different people will hear differently and will have different preference. But since you are having a thread asking for opinions and a poll, our opinions are relevant right?

What are your opinions on the headphones you currently have and what do you expect from upgrading. And do you take good care of your headphones?

My current favorite upper range(or upper mid range) is Ananda, flat enough response with deep bass, clear highs but not sibilant, good imaging compared to hd6xx series, less chaotic sounding, not heavy and huge earcup. Arya sounds a bit thin and hollow and can sound a bit sibilant in over 10khz range. I hear good things from people about HE6SE. It's a good candidate for demoing too. Focal clear is more mid range focused with less bass and treble than Ananda. Not really similar to hd650 or 600. The 4-6khz range is less smooth which can sound a little aggressive with some sounds. Bass is solid but not as deep as Ananda. Sounds nice for vocals.

Top Bottom