• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Calibration: E.A.R.S., DRCDesigner and FIR Designer

bonzothecat

Kind of went down a rabbit hole seeking to find a semi-automated way to calibrate my headphones with EARS. I know there are all kinds of issues EARS and headphone measurement, but I am old and unable to hear past 12khz and that seems to be where EARS falls apart and I only have over-ear cans. At any rate, I started with DRCDesigner Digital Room Correction Designer Help (alanjordan.org) and was able to reverse engineer his work into 3 batch files: 1) enumerate audio devices 2) run sweeps on both channels on EARS (given parameters from 1) 3) Generate a stereo FIR filter in wav format. I started with Harman curve, but decided it was not for me, so I cut every db in half (perhaps a new standard half harman?) which sounded better to me. I calibrated 6 headphones with this method, but in the end, I did not like the artifacts that DRC was introducing, so moved on to FIR Designer FIR DESIGNER - Audio FIR filter design tool for speakers | Eclipse Audio and REW and was much happier with the FIR filters it generated over DRC.
I had another thought today which seems to be working out. I am calibrating my headphones to a flat response and then generating a second FIR filter that goes from a flat response to B&K 1974 and the half harman. I then use two convolution filters in roon - one to get to a flat response a second to get to a target which enables me to try out different targets without having to recalibrate the headphone. I have tried the process on HifiMan Sundara and DT770 Pro and it sounds pretty good with both.
At any rate - is there anything fundamentally wrong with this approach?
Also if anyone wants a crack at DRCDesigner, I am happy to share my batch files....

Top Bottom