• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone amp/dac recommendation?

jcebedo11

Hello Im looking for a DAC/Headphone amp to replace my super old Benchmark DAC1. It must have headphone amp output, and balanced outputs. I actually really like the DAC1, the only thing i dont like about it is the amount of heat it generates. I think it contributes to heating up my small room. If I put chocolate on top of it, it definately melts it. My budget is under $300 and Im okay buying used.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not sure your going to do better than your Benchmark DAC1, for a $300 budget.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could wait for Amir to measure the SMSL C200...

I think the other options with balanced outputs are a little over budget: Topping/ShenzenAudio EX5, Sabaj A10d/A20d, etc.

*edit* actually, A10d is in budget...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although the A10d's "Bal" out is a regular SE out disguising as Bal.
Not sure if OP would mind (he shouldn't, to be fair)

I think the OPs request was for for balanced line, rather than headphone output because it's replacing a DAC1 which also has balanced line outputs.

OP
J

jcebedo11

thanks for the recommendations. saves me a lot of time researching. Looks like the a10d is the most similar in terms of features.

Top Bottom