• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC+AMP combos(single units) vs separate DACs and AMPs(stacks) ?

LegionOfHell

Would you rather buy DAC+AMP combos(single unit) or separate DACs and AMPs(stacks) ?

Are there any cons/pros for each setup ?

Obviously you have to use RCA/stereo cables with the stacks, Do RCA/stereo cables degrade the sound ?

share your thoughts

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer my Topping EX5 DAC/Amp to my Topping D50s/A50s/P50 stack. Reasons:

Single box with integrated PSU, no interconnects required.
I was constantly having to line up the x50 stack as it would move when touched (i've stuck it together with 3m adhesive foam pads now!)
Bigger display and volume control.
Single on/off button and remote.
Balanced output removed a ground loop (obviously this could also be solved with balanced DAC + HP Amp)

The A50s has a balanced HP output and is more powerful than the EX5, but the extra power is not required for the headphones I use, so is not missed.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes you get a whole lot of other stuff and the developer has wrung through all the integration, inter-functional features and single wifi dashboard and/or remote control.
Example: https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...78-minidsp-shd-power-integrated-amplifier-dac
"Although lacking analog inputs, Chromecast Built-in, Apple AirPlay, and a headphone output, the SHD Power includes features not normally found in a budget integrated amplifier-DAC: Roon Ready network streaming capability, parametric equalization, Dirac Live room correction, and adjustable high-pass/low-pass crossover filters. The SHD Power also runs the open-source Volumio music player, which is accessed through a web-based interface and supports Tidal, Qobuz, HighResAudio, Spotify (via a plugin), and internet radio. Considering its reasonable price, the SHD Power is remarkably fully featured."

Lyngdorf has similar features also.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have stacks and standalone, the Topping DX5 is my favorite. Perfect channel matching, flawless sound, and no cables or wall warts taking up space. Headphones are getting more efficient, and IEMs getting popular so it's enough power. The lite version is even less without MQA support.

drewdawg999

I would rather buy a separate DAC and AMP stack. Just more flexibility in case you upgrade the DAC, you can change out from your speaker system to your headphone system. That's what I did recently so now I have for headphones a DO100 with a THX 789 and it sounds awesome. Using XLR interconnects that are transparent and nice to handle. I need the massive power of the THX 789 for my hungry planars, having to venture into high gain at times on soft recordings.

Misguided

I went for a stack SMSL HO100 and DO100 as I needed an analog in, most of the combination units in my price range don’t offer this apart from some of the Fiio ones which weren’t reviewed here.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
You'll be spending serious dough if you want a DAC-amp that can equal the output capabilities of a Topping L30 II. (Plus, nobody says you have to use the matching DAC. You might as well be using an audio interface headphone out or onboard audio output.) Meanwhile, combo units commonly still tend to be perfectly adequate and more compact / practical.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would you rather buy DAC+AMP combos(single unit) or separate DACs and AMPs(stacks) ?
Are there any cons/pros for each setup ?
Obviously you have to use RCA/stereo cables with the stacks, Do RCA/stereo cables degrade the sound ?
share your thoughts
I like the simplicity of the all in one unit, if other find advantages with separate units.....cool :)

Top Bottom