• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hardware vs software and features

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
No. What I am asking is if you can upgrade the CPU on the QNAP NAS that you have now.

OP
D

davarazzo

I have not researched it, but I doubt it is possible. I have been building my home PC/workstations since the mid '90's and every time I've upgraded a processor, the form factor was different and required a new MOBO. I'm not a compute expert by any means, but with some research on my part , I am feeling comfortable that I do have the technical background to build the roon nucleus into a NAS. It should turn into a fun project that will benefit many of my hobbies. And I'll learn some stuff!

nimar

Forum Donor
Yeah, Roon recommends at least Intel® Core™ i3 processor or equivalent. And to install the application on an internal SSD drive.

My current NAS has the Celeron® J3455 quad-core and would require an expansion card for the SSD. The NAS is still technically relevant so it should sell easily enough and offset a big part of the upgrade cost. With a few expansion tweaks, it could take care of all my audio, video, photography, cloud, server, and geek needs. Looks like a pretty doable project.

Last piece of the puzzle is what flavor of Pi do I want ...........
Just need a good digital Roon endpoint. I don't think I would use an audio output.

@nimar What flavor of Pi do you use?

Both Pi3b/Pi4s, mixed wired/wiif. No discernible difference between the two Pi's or networking options, though obviously dependent on your wifi network.

Top Bottom