• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X26Pro Review (Balanced High-end DAC)

Krillin

What you are currently seeing is what Windows 10 is automatically installing. What Windows 10 automatically installs will work but you will have limited functionality and will not have the ASIO drivers.

For full functionality you must install the Gustard Drivers. I have attached a PDF how-to

Attachments

• Gustard Driver and update.pdf
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,944
Last edited:

Cut-Throat

What you are currently seeing is what Windows 10 is automatically installing. What Windows 10 automatically installs will work but you will have limited functionality and will not have the ASIO drivers.

For full functionality you must install the Gustard Drivers. I have attached a PDF how-to

Thanks very much for this !! ---- I did install the Gustard Drivers, but I have still no idea of how to

"1) Check your firmware by opening up the Gustard Control Panel."
Gustard Driver.jpg

Krillin

I found Jriver to be more intuitive than FooBar2000. Also, with the Jriver WDM driver I found that I could send everything from my PC's web browser, apps and video games to Jriver and upsample or convert to DSD before sending to the Gustard.

Here is a PDF how-to for Jriver and the Gustard. Also, you cannot send exclusive audio from a web browser or Amazon Music HD. While Amazon Music has an exclusive mode it doesn't really work as I have found on the Amazon support forums. If exclusive mode does not exist whatever you set the Windows Mixer to will be your input sample rate.

Jriver must be open for audio to work

Attachments

• How to use Jriver.pdf
    565.9 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:

NoobMD

I am using an iMac to connect to the X26 Pro. Do I also need to upgrade the firmware? I think not, but just in case.

wannarock2

even a rastafarian would find that slow roll-off filter a little slow
poor folks out there tonight listening to that usb connection [it’s the all-around default :(]

EDIT: @gustard kindly send x26p customer list an e-mail on this issue with instructions
i haven’t got an e-mail yet. will update
23Qy1Ac.jpg

lupoXnm.jpg

Last edited:

NoobMD

Why do you think like that? It is an operating system independent issue. You have to check if your x26pro on vF.1A or not. If it is vF.1A, you have nothing to do. I have no idea how to check the revision on a Mac.

Is it so? Unlike the Windows PC, Macs do not have to download the drivers in many cases. So, isn’i it partly OS dependent? Anyway, can somebody teach me how to check the firmware version in the mac?

Krillin

I was an Application Operations System Administrator for seven years straight out of college for a major IT corporation. Did everything imaginable, got on calls (and solved their problems) with engineering, product support, network engineering, windows/linux platform, and I had no Linux experience with thousands of Windows/Redhat servers. Way in over my head praying every day the next would not be my last in an abusive work environment.

If I could go through hell with no experience then a software engineer should be able to figure this out. Google is your friend for how to launch .exe files on a Mac.
First Google search: https://www.wikihow.com/Open-Exe-Files-on-Mac

Very few companies are going to be fully compatible across three operating systems (Windows, Linux, and Mac) but there are ways if you're crafty.

taner

Seriously? - I am a software Engineer. And am used to designing and writing software that is much more intuitive than this. You?
Say, some carpenter with basic knowledge about computers.

Ideally, the Firmware release should be an item on the Gustard Menu, rather than loading a Driver on Windows that I will never use or need. Also, anyone vaguely interested in Audio, would not consider software running under Windows.

Sorry but you can't tell the difference between a system app and a custom app. The screenshot of "Gustard USB Audio Device Control Panel" app that shared in the thread is an obviously a custom app. Which means it must come with a third party driver or an application package. So, it must be the lack of some basic knowledge for tying to find it on system menus rather than application menu or taskbar icons. This is not something to be offended.
"It is actually quite easy but requires some basic knowledge about how computers work."

And here we have proof of how ridiculous your posts are! -----

Read my post again, I didn't say "it is going to be very difficult for me" but i said "I have no idea how to check the revision on a Mac". Since there is no some custom Gustard app and driver package for Mac, I would look at system driver information menus. If I can't find it, I would install some third party USB/system driver diagnostics applications. My basic knowledge tells me to follow this route.

It is very similar to the situation with Linux users as myself. Since there is no a custom app and driver for Linux (because it is not needed), I have to figure out myself. Then I figured it out by using "lsusb" command which gives the information that I needed.

Code:
Carpenter-PC >lsusb --help
Usage: lsusb [options]...
List USB devices
  -v, --verbose
      Increase verbosity (show descriptors)
  -s [[bus]:][devnum]
      Show only devices with specified device and/or
      bus numbers (in decimal)
  -d vendor:[product]
      Show only devices with the specified vendor and
      product ID numbers (in hexadecimal)
  -D device
      Selects which device lsusb will examine
  -t, --tree
      Dump the physical USB device hierarchy as a tree
  -V, --version
      Show version of program
  -h, --help
      Show usage and help
Carpenter-PC >
Carpenter-PC >lsusb
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 20b1:3033 XMOS Ltd Gustard USB Audio 2.0
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0ac8:305b Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. ZC0305 Webcam
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 258a:0090 SINO WEALTH Mechanical Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 2109:2811 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:0040 Microsoft Corp. Wheel Mouse Optical
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Carpenter-PC >
Carpenter-PC >lsusb -D /dev/bus/usb/003/003 | grep bcdDevice
  bcdDevice            f.1a
Carpenter-PC >

Last edited by a moderator:

taner

dmidu

MacOS (BigSur) recognizes X26pro without any "driver downloads" for USB connection. Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI Setup.
Tried on two players: Deadbeef & Pine player. Both work perfectly with x26pro and play DSD files as well. Both have up-sampling possibilities, but haven't tried NOS mode yet.

NoobMD

MacOS (BigSur) recognizes X26pro without any "driver downloads" for USB connection. Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI Setup.
Tried on two players: Deadbeef & Pine player. Both work perfectly with x26pro and play DSD files as well. Both have up-sampling possibilities, but haven't tried NOS mode yet.
That was my experience too. Have you been also able to check which firmware version was installed in your X26 Pro?

dmidu

That was my experience too. Have you been also able to check which firmware version was installed in your X26 Pro?

Yes, just run the following command in terminal:
Code:
system_profiler SPUSBDataType

You should get something like this:

Code:
Gustard USB Audio 2.0:

Product ID: 0x3033
          Vendor ID: 0x20b1
          Version: f.1a
          Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s
          Manufacturer: Gustard
          Location ID: 0x14200000 / 7
          Current Available (mA): 500
          Current Required (mA): 0
          Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

As you can see the version is: f1a
The same version F1A, as I have in my Windows machine with the downloaded drivers mentioned somewhere here, in this thread.

NoobMD

Yes, just run the following command in terminal:
Code:
system_profiler SPUSBDataType

You should get something like this:

Code:
Gustard USB Audio 2.0:

Product ID: 0x3033
          Vendor ID: 0x20b1
          Version: f.1a
          Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s
          Manufacturer: Gustard
          Location ID: 0x14200000 / 7
          Current Available (mA): 500
          Current Required (mA): 0
          Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

As you can see the version is: f1a
The same version F1A, as I have in my Windows machine with the downloaded drivers mentioned somewhere here, in this thread.
Superb! Thank you! You saved my day!

IronPyrite

@gustard is it possible to output over both RCA and XLR at the same time? If possible, will XLR output remain balanced? I would like to simultaneously connect XLR to powered Right/Left monitor speakers, and RCA to a subwoofer.

Last edited:

vassago

Hi everyone, I recently own a gustard x26pro dac. I use as a source a streamer dac project usb ultra connected via usb. The dac is connected to a headphone amplifier via rca cables.
I have noticed that there is sometimes a background hiss that is heard in the mid-range of the amp's potentiometer.
By turning the DAC off and on again, this rustle disappears.
Sometimes it is necessary to turn off and on even twice.
I have read that this dac may have compatibility problems with software like Volumio and in fact the streamer project uses a customized version of the volumio software.
Do you think there is a compatibility problem or is the dac faulty?
Thanks for the replies

DACs_Lover

Hi friends

There are indeed three types of digital filter adjustments for X26PRO.
One of the prerequisites for it to work is that the “NOS” option should be “OFF”
Ordered 3 units of Gustard x16. And They are good. X16 is the most transparent units from Gustard?

Thank you.

taner

Hi everyone, I recently own a gustard x26pro dac. I use as a source a streamer dac project usb ultra connected via usb. The dac is connected to a headphone amplifier via rca cables.
I have noticed that there is sometimes a background hiss that is heard in the mid-range of the amp's potentiometer.
By turning the DAC off and on again, this rustle disappears.
Sometimes it is necessary to turn off and on even twice.
I have read that this dac may have compatibility problems with software like Volumio and in fact the streamer project uses a customized version of the volumio software.
Do you think there is a compatibility problem or is the dac faulty?
Thanks for the replies

This is a bug that triggered by source device when using USB input. @wannarock2 says it disappears by starting a PCM content. But this trick didn't work for me. My trick was the power up X26Pro after source device (PC, streamer etc.). @gustard must provide a permanent solution for this.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dual-9038-pro-by-l7audiolab.19921/post-827803

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dual-9038-pro-by-l7audiolab.19921/post-835060

vassago

Ah ok!
I tried the trick of turning on the dac after the source (streamer project) but it doesn't always work. therefore do you think it is useless to ask for a change? Or I must wait a solution by gustard

Top Bottom