• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Guess the price

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SoundStage recently published measurements of a bookshelf speaker. In [good?] fun, post your guess for the retail price, then click on my subsequent comment to reveal the actual price.

5DM39102_ed.jpg

fr_on1530.png

fr_456075.png

thd_90db.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Reassuringly expensive.....

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I feel like there are cheap things that look simple, then there are things that are more expensive which look more complex, then there are things that look simple but wrap around to being much much more expensive. I think we are in the third category here, I am guessing $3,000 each.

The tweeter/woofer spacing is... interesting... and willing to bet that port leaks reflections in the midrange around 800 hz.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Radio shack sold tons of aluminum enclosure speakers for less $100.
So these are equivalent to Minimus 7’s? Not saying they’re good value but you’re not building these enclosures for $100…

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My view is that there is zero correlation between performance and price. Price is determined by what people will pay, not what something costs, and what people will pay is entirely determined by the marketing effort put into the product. Witness the daft prices people willing to pay for Wilson Audio products, Audio Note products, Nordost cables or any number of 'boutique' products devoid of any technical merit.

S.

mj30250

I guessed far over any reasonable price knowing that these would be grossly expensive, and still fell far short. Nice.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Yes, but have you listened to them?" ~~ classic audiophile retort when high prices are quoted.
Indeed, which is why this industry is still plagued by crap products, devoid of any technical merit, but which are marketed to the 'trust my ears' brigade who know nothing , but are taken in by any old bollocks that makes a good story.

S.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Expensive parts are mostly to WOW the gullible. Here's a pic of the AN DAC 5.1 Profession Edition, ("professional"? really?). Chock full of exotic, expensive parts. Is it worth US$6000? Well maybe almost for the pricey parts alone but what about performance? (BTW, DAC 5.1 uses exactly the same obsolete digital section, (red board nearest the top), as the cheapest models.)

IMG_5784-1100x825.jpg

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Expensive parts are mostly to WOW the gullible. Here's a pic of the AN DAC 5.1 Profession Edition, ("professional"? really?). Chock full of exotic, expensive parts. Is it worth US$6000? Well maybe almost for the pricey parts alone but what about performance? (BTW, DAC 5.1 uses exactly the same obsolete digital section, (red board nearest the top), as the cheapest models.)

IMG_5784-1100x825.jpg
The moment I see a Tube or a Mundorf capacitor, I know it's crap, unless I see measurements that might suggest otherwise.

S.

Top Bottom