• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great recordings of classical music

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The performance of Dvorak's String Serenade Op. 22 on this album is..... I can't really put it into words. It's scored with an accompaniment piano. Play at least up to the 1:50 min mark to hear what the piano can add to this old standard. I discovered this piece at a young age around the same time I discovered the paintings of John Singer Sargent and the novels of Henry James. Hard to believe that there was a time in the past when this was "Pop" music....
A good tip, I heard it first thing this morning.

Everything about this melodious work seems to speak of the good humour of the then aspiring composer. It's relatively catchy, so I can imagine it was pop.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I somewhat disagree. For a musical work like Beethoven's 9th, which can mean a lot of different things depending on interpretation, one has to take a survey of the available recordings and decide which one suits your taste the most,

For me, too many recordings founder in the Adagio, or are unable to sell that whacky Finale.

The recordings I've most enjoyed over the years are Munch, Markevitch and Fricsay. The Markevitch is particuarly thrilling. These are all decent stereo.

Daverz

Major Contributor
@Keith_W

It looks like you have a large classic collection of vinyl records. Maybe you are also a musician or other insider of the scene.

I've already given away my record collection completely twice in my life, because at that time I thought I would only listen digitally. But then I started again from scratch 20 years ago. Fortunately, a collection from East Germany fell into my hands, the canon of classics obviously curated by a connoisseur. Many mint-quality recordings from the German Democratic Republic included. ETERNA e.g. I have heard them so far only in part. If I want to delve more today and look for multiple interpretations, I find a lot on Deezer. No record collection can do that. It's paradise conditions for a music lover.

I love the sound of many of those East German recordings, particularly the recordings Kurt Sanderling made of Sibelius and Shostakovich in East Berlin.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I love the sound of many of those East German recordings, particularly the recordings Kurt Sanderling made of Sibelius and Shostakovich in East Berlin.
Yes, they really worked very carefully, with equipment from the West.

Mahler8.jpg

Daverz

Major Contributor
Is the download available for purchase separately? Or is it the same as:

Same basic recording in that box, just not this new remaster. Qobuz also has this new remaster for streaming and download, but only in 16/44 quality (which is perfectly adequate, of course).

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Light to listen, nice music, well recorded

Sokel

Master Contributor
Really good recording.

Arnold Schonberg - Gurrelieder, M. Gielen, SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg - Hanssler Classic
The nice suprise here is Yvonne Naef that despite being young shows the maturity of older singers.

1676639147623.jpeg

Leporello

In the end, it's too much to listen to. Here are just a few examples of outstanding recordings

Vinyl:

Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 - Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan (Deutsche Grammophon)
Bach: Brandenburg Concertos - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Neville Marriner (Philips)
Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro - Orchestra e Coro del Teatro alla Scala, Carlo Maria Giulini (Deutsche Grammophon)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 - Boston Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Monteux (RCA Victor)
Which one of the Karajan Beethoven 9s?
Did Giulini actually record Figaro for DG? The usual recommendation is EMI (currently Warner).

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I'll just pick out this example for my short description of #1.

Beethoven's 9th Symphony conducted by Herbert von Karajan is considered one of the best recordings of this work ever made. The Berlin Philharmonic plays with great precision and passion, and the recording quality is exceptional, offering excellent sound quality.

Karajan recorded it 3 times (at least), I suppose you mean the most famed ‘63 recording.

If you value precision and passion you’ll like the recent one by Currentzis with MusicAeterna, sadly not released as a recording yet but on Youtube:

You’ll wonder why everybody else has been sleepwalking through this piece, such is the eloquence and energy.

Speaking of Currentzis, I think he’s also made the definitive (so far) for me recording of Tchaikovsky’s 6th symphony.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I don't think anything can make Schoenberg sound good :)
Why not? Listening to Schoenberg, is not especially demanding, imo.
But there is another tread which fits better for this genre.

schön.jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Which one of the Karajan Beethoven 9s?
Did Giulini actually record Figaro for DG? The usual recommendation is EMI (currently Warner).
I would have to look what I currently have in my collection. Most of my vinyl records are stored away in the basement.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Karajan recorded it 3 times (at least), I suppose you mean the most famed ‘63 recording.

If you value precision and passion you’ll like the recent one by Currentzis with MusicAeterna, sadly not released as a recording yet but on Youtube:

You’ll wonder why everybody else has been sleepwalking through this piece, such is the eloquence and energy.

Speaking of Currentzis, I think he’s also made the definitive (so far) for me recording of Tchaikovsky’s 6th symphony.
Great example. We enjoy 'Arte concerts' quite often.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't think anything can make Schoenberg sound good :)
This is early Schoenberg. It's relatively easy. (And this is a good one.)

MRC01

Major Contributor
Like many classical music listeners, I've heard the Beethoven symphonies so many times, so many performances, I wore out my ears and got tired of them. When I heard the Honeck recordings with Pittsburgh on Reference, it got my attention as fresh interpretations with excellent recordings.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I think we are missing a thread like this, with recommendations of great recordings of classical music.

I would start with this one:

and I am also posting a link to a 54 second full quality sample: https://pmacura.cz/Moltovivace.zip
Check out this label :

This is a very good recording , the best I have found of Mozarts symphony nr 40.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Top Bottom