• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good sources of audio information ?

BN1

I bring this question to a forum that I respect for the technical content and knowledgeable subjective opinions.

Where do you turn to for information on audio equipment ?

My short list includes the following (note - some fall into the merely amusement/entertainment category and some certainly tend to hark products that they profit from) in no particular order:

ASR Forum, Axiom Audio, AVNirvanna, Home Theater Forum, JoeNTell (like his leaderboard), PSAudio (slipping ...), Crutchfield, CNet, Digital Trends, GR Research, Audiophiliac, Audioholics, AVS forum, and lastly some guy by the name of Thomas on youtube.

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
Going by my Favorites list, the only audio sites I visit are: ASR forum and reviews, the audioXpress magazine site, Archimago's Musings. If I'm looking for headphone info, I'll check out DIY-Audio-Heaven. I'm redoing my home theater currently so I may check out some of those sites you listed.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going by my Favorites list, the only audio sites I visit are: ASR forum and reviews, the audioXpress magazine site, Archimago's Musings. If I'm looking for headphone info, I'll check out DIY-Audio-Heaven. I'm redoing my home theater currently so I may check out some of those sites you listed.

Actually you thought about the two others I sometimes read: Archimago and DIY-Audio-Heaven. They are linked to this one of course, and that's here that I discovered them.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I bring this question to a forum that I respect for the technical content and knowledgeable subjective opinions.

Where do you turn to for information on audio equipment ?

My short list includes the following (note - some fall into the merely amusement/entertainment category and some certainly tend to hark products that they profit from) in no particular order:

ASR Forum, Axiom Audio, AVNirvanna, Home Theater Forum, JoeNTell (like his leaderboard), PSAudio (slipping ...), Crutchfield, CNet, Digital Trends, GR Research, Audiophiliac, Audioholics, AVS forum, and lastly some guy by the name of Thomas on youtube.
@BN1 this doesn't really look like a question. Almost like name dropping. But the question is what else are you missing? Next to all these, do you really need more?

Anyway, I really appreciate what Mr. Murphy writes on audio blog at Salk
https://www.salksound.com/blogtopic.php?id=5

And I do respect Mr. Ober. There is a lot to read there and learn, just be careful not to fall under the spell of those pretty eyes and end up buying JL Audio sub, unless you really want one. Some of them do push something, but not all are dishonest:
https://www.soundoctor.com/about.htm

kd

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Books, etc. by Toole, Olive, Master handbook of acoustics...

a decent grounding in wave theory - 2nd yr Berkely book physics, and in electronics

a text on Cognitive Psychology

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This freely-available paper by Floyd Toole covers most of the salient points of his highly influential book.

Rod Elliott of ESP has some excellent articles explaining some technical aspects of sound reproduction (a bit more technical, though).

The late Siegfried Linkwitz's homepage has some great articles.

Audioxpress' theory articles section isn't bad, although they're not organised so you have to trawl a bit.

Diyaudio is a mixed bag but there are a couple of very knowledgeable and sensible regulars on there who are worth following.

I'll second @MrGoodbits recommendation for Archimago's blog.

And the AES E-Library has probably the largest collection research papers in English (but is ofc paywalled).

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) ASR forum for how well a product is designed and engineered. It's my primary source. I would no longer buy something that is not evaluated by ASR as it's my first filter to winnow down products to choose from those that are properly designed and engineered with quality. Speaker preference ratings, SINAD, Power, feature list, Price are the primary dimensions I am using to choose what I spend money on.

2) I subscribe to John Darko for ideas on how to build affordable streaming audio solutions with the things I already have to test out interesting use cases. Like using a used smartphone as an affordable streaming endpoint with USB Audio Player Pro and USB dac, then figuring out how to remote control it with a tablet to try out different streaming formats and apps and see how I like them, or dig into the nuances of how broken the state of bit-perfect music streaming really is.

3)I am still looking for a subject review source to bring in to my decision making that correlates well (both positive and negative) with ASR measurements and scores as a way to further winnow down my options and help me broker the tension between objectivist viewpoints that everything that measures above a certain level is inaudibly different, and the subjective perceptions I have. Kind of like finding a food/wine/beer reviewer who has the same tastes I do so I can rely that their trained pallet represents my tastes well.

Reactions: BN1
OP
BN1

BN1

I'm planning one more speaker/amp upgrade and have a spreadsheet for my speaker options that includes the ASR assessment ratings for each if they are available.

OP
BN1

BN1

@BN1 this doesn't really look like a question. Almost like name dropping. But the question is what else are you missing? Next to all these, do you really need more?

Anyway, I really appreciate what Mr. Murphy writes on audio blog at Salk
https://www.salksound.com/blogtopic.php?id=5

And I do respect Mr. Ober. There is a lot to read there and learn, just be careful not to fall under the spell of those pretty eyes and end up buying JL Audio sub, unless you really want one. Some of them do push something, but not all are dishonest:
https://www.soundoctor.com/about.htm

kd
Good point on needing more - too much time on my hands these days ?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

mansr

Major Contributor
And the AES E-Library has probably the largest collection research papers in English (but is ofc paywalled).
I don't trust the AES. Too many of their papers are written by people with something to sell.

IEEE (if you have access) has a fair amount of audio related papers from real researchers.

Top Bottom