• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Getting crazy looking for USB DAC/(pre)amp for HD650 & balanced Adam T5V

MrRalph

Hi all! Over the last couple of weeks I'm trying to figure out how to achieve a good setup for my computer/desktop system. I have a Sennheiser HD650 and active speakers from Adam Audio. There is a lot of ground interference with my computer setup, so I want/need to run something balanced to the active speakers. Can't get single ended to work without noise. At this moment, I use the audio-out from my computer and also tried a FiiO K5 Pro (also interference / single ended).

I was looking at a Schiit Jotumheim that ticks most boxes. The is also the Aune S6 Pro, Topping DX7 Pro and RME ADI-2. Maybe I can find something a little less expensive. I considered the SMSL SU-8 with a separate headphone amp (Magni 3 for example). However, both outputs of the SMSL (RCA to headphone amp and balanced to speakers) are variable. So I have to turn my speakers off if I want to list to headphones only. If the XLR out was variable and the RCA fixed, it could have worked.

Ideally I want to be able to control the volume to the speakers and headphone separately. I can live with an all in one box (DAC, headphone amp, balanced preamp) of two boxes (balanced DAC/preamp + headphone amp). I also looked at some pro-audio options, like the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB, but I'm a little worried about the sound quality.

I'm getting crazy with all these options and any help is much appreciated to come up with a working and good solution. Any recommendations?

Ralph (Netherlands)

Edited: corrected FiiO type number and added alternatives I'm looking at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom