• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec setups in living rooms [how to]

OP
BDE

BDE

Genelec 8331 and 8341 are now avilable as RAW model

2022_Genelec_RAW_8331_8341_1600x900.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the G5 is a 8050 with an RCA input.
8350 is a SAM speaker (can set up with GLM) and has bigger class D amplifiers.
There's roughly 8030C price difference between the two ;)

If you want a surround setup with a Dirac AVP/R, you'll basically get a surround setup for "free" with an 8050 vs 8350.

kuf

Screenshot_20220422_170235.png

Waiting for a pair of 8350 and the GLM kit (and for a pair of 7360 subs in a few months later),
I just received the stands.

So no photo of my messy living room, but maybe a good idea for stands.
I almost ordered the Genelec stands and plates when I realized that the stands are too tall for listening sitting in a sofa or an armchair in a living room.
I couldn't easily find stands that could take the Genelec stand plates,
so I ordered these stands and their plates.

They costed (including the plates you see) as much as a pair of cheap generic stands.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the G5 is a 8050 with an RCA input.
8350 is a SAM speaker (can set up with GLM) and has bigger class D amplifiers.
Correct. I spoke with my dealer and I'll likely be going with the 8350 as the out time is still 4 to 5 months for the G5. I really wanted black though.

kuf

There's roughly 8030C price difference between the two ;)

If you want a surround setup with a Dirac AVP/R, you'll basically get a surround setup for "free" with an 8050 vs 8350.

yes it is,
but for me with 2 channels only the main reason was the GLM as I wanted the easiest solution for room correction and sub integration

AlmaAtaKZ

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 201564

Waiting for a pair of 8350 and the GLM kit (and for a pair of 7360 subs in a few months later),
I just received the stands.

So no photo of my messy living room, but maybe a good idea for stands.
I almost ordered the Genelec stands and plates when I realized that the stands are too tall for listening sitting in a sofa or an armchair in a living room.
I couldn't easily find stands that could take the Genelec stand plates,
so I ordered these stands and their plates.

They costed (including the plates you see) as much as a pair of cheap generic stands.
If you're not overly fussy about looks and can find a pair, motorway crash barrier support posts do a good job at a fraction of the cost of most of the shop bought offerings.
There is a picture above.
I will at some point tidy the stands up and make a new top plate.

kenimaru

So I'm also looking at Genelec. My living room is about 30'x30' with 10' ceiling, no special treatment other than carpet. Currently I own a pair of BMR monitors which I enjoy immensely, I mainly listen to classical, acoustic, rock, r&b, not so much hip-hop or EDM. Preferably I just want a stereo setup w/o the sub, but it's something that I can consider. I don't have a dedicated MLP and I tend to just have music in the background when I'm in the area, this is also dedicated for music only.

Question, how much better is the Ones (83x1s) SAM 3-way over the G series 2-way? What about the SAM 2-way (83x0s)? Would GLM EQ a necessity for my use case? Thanks all.

The reason for the Genelec is that I think the cast aluminum construction just makes sense and I want to explore a different set of speakers. Other choices that I thought about is the KEF R3, BMR Tower, and Revel, but it seems that Genelec just offers a very different and exceptional product (with a premium).

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I'm also looking at Genelec. My living room is about 30'x30' with 10' ceiling, no special treatment other than carpet. Currently I own a pair of BMR monitors which I enjoy immensely, I mainly listen to classical, acoustic, rock, r&b, not so much hip-hop or EDM. Preferably I just want a stereo setup w/o the sub, but it's something that I can consider. I don't have a dedicated MLP and I tend to just have music in the background when I'm in the area, this is also dedicated for music only.

Question, how much better is the Ones (83x1s) SAM 3-way over the G series 2-way? What about the SAM 2-way (83x0s)? Would GLM EQ a necessity for my use case? Thanks all.

The reason for the Genelec is that I think the cast aluminum construction just makes sense and I want to explore a different set of speakers. Other choices that I thought about is the KEF R3, BMR Tower, and Revel, but it seems that Genelec just offers a very different and exceptional product (with a premium).
Hi,
I can't answer some of your questions but here is where I am. I ordered G five's in January with an original delivery date of May. That was almost immediately pushed back to mid Aug. I had to reevaluate my purchase so yesterday I upgraded my order to 8350's with GLM. I hope I won't need a sub but if I do I'd probably go for the 7360.

If I could afford the Ones they would have been my first choice. Sadly they are way above my pay grade. It was a stretch to go from the G Five to the 8350's. But I'm glad I did. The room correction with GLM just make so much sense. That you don't get with the G series.

Peter

kenimaru

Hi,
I can't answer some of your questions but here is where I am. I ordered G five's in January with an original delivery date of May. That was almost immediately pushed back to mid Aug. I had to reevaluate my purchase so yesterday I upgraded my order to 8350's with GLM. I hope I won't need a sub but if I do I'd probably go for the 7360.

If I could afford the Ones they would have been my first choice. Sadly they are way above my pay grade. It was a stretch to go from the G Five to the 8350's. But I'm glad I did. The room correction with GLM just make so much sense. That you don't get with the G series.

Peter
So looking at the 4s, here's what I can summarize:

8341A (The One)8340A (2-way SAM)G Four
$3000$1700$1150
45Hz - 20kHz (+/- 1.5 dB), 38Hz -6dB45Hz - 20kHz (+/- 1.5 dB), 38Hz -6dB48 Hz - 20kHz (+/- 2.5 dB), 41Hz -6dB
Noise < 3dBNoise < 5dBNoise < 10dB

So I'm guessing going with the 2-way SAM is very reasonable, so far I'm not totally convinced on concentric driver because I feel vertical dispersion is less important than the horizontal one, for example, BMR with RAAL has a very clean high and wide horizontal spread, but the vertical suffers because of it. I'm sure The One is better, but from the spec 8340A is almost as good at 60% of the cost, and the G4 is arguably even better value because if you look at the comparable KEF R3, it's 58-28kHz (+/- 3dB) and 38 for -6dB, concentric driver aside that is.

Nattage

Godataloss

For such a small speaker, they are remarkably visually jarring in most rooms. They scream 'cheap plastic computer speaker!' in almost every setup.

Nattage

Until you listen to them, hold them or know anything about them. Then they have association with excellence and make you smile before they're even playing. I have them because I appreciate them and wouldn't correct a guest for thinking or saying what you've suggested, because they'd be my guest.

Nattage

Adding aiw26s that I had lying around :) into home made frames so they can be used in my rental. Will use them for centre and surrounds unless I think an 8341 as centre. They always amaze me with how they sound for their form factor.

Top Bottom