• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Certified Pre-owned Thread

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Starting this thread in December 2021 as a placeholder for discussion of the upcoming 2022 Genelec Certified Pre-owned program - thanks @soundwave76 for the heads-up in the 8631a thread!

Here's the Genelec web page:

I have little to offer beyond what's currently stated on Genelec's web page, except to say that Genelec's prices for new gear make this pre-owned option quite attractive! I am guessing there will be a lot more demand than supply once the program goes live.

Last edited:

jonfitch

Interesting, will be interesting to see how the prices shake out.

Genelec pre-owned market is very interesting. On ebay Genelec speakers tend to sell more like other monitors (50-70% of msrp), but on other sites (gearslutz, audiogon, audiomart, forums etc) people tend to list used Genelec speakers for very high prices (often like 85%-90% of msrp, even when products have visual blemishes).

And I'm not talking about now, where all used goods are inflated in price, but pre-pandemic even. It was a very weird split market. Also because of the high prices of Genelec used monitors relative to msrp, they rarely move on these markets, often the ads sit for years. But the non-ebay sellers are adamant about the pricing, often until they just give up and de-list.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Really great idea.

G|force

Forum Donor
I'm down for a pair of used Mystic Blue 8341 and happily uptrade my used grey 8341 for them! :)

G|force

Forum Donor
Pearljam- do you have an image saved of the limited edition blue 8341? Man they are so pretty and I can't find an image. ;-)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Pearljam- do you have an image saved of the limited edition blue 8341? Man they are so pretty and I can't find an image. ;-)
Genelec-40-aniversario-8341-edicion-especial.jpg
Genelec-40-aniversario-8341-edicion-especial-2.jpg

hege

Forum Donor
Looks nothing more than marketing stunt and hashtag begging.

Here in Finland, used ones already sell fast and at a premium, why would you want to pay premium on top of that? Factory tour and fresh warranty can't come free. Anyone can send speakers to be checked and fixed for modest fee anyway, if and when needed. It's not like these break all the time..

Likely covers only some Finnish dealers. Again, how would it be "green" needlessly shipping heavy stuff around internationally? All products must be dealer/distributor roundtrips, as the factory doesn't do direct sales.

Sorry @Pearljam5000, I don't think you are gonna see cheap 8361's near you soon. :D

Last edited:

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
That's my take as well. Over here, even scratched up demo 'ones' sell within days at a 5% discount. I could imagine a market upselling used non-SAM to SAM as factory refurbished product or just replacing older amps in general where possible, but that's it.

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
Interesting, will be interesting to see how the prices shake out.

Genelec pre-owned market is very interesting. On ebay Genelec speakers tend to sell more like other monitors (50-70% of msrp), but on other sites (gearslutz, audiogon, audiomart, forums etc) people tend to list used Genelec speakers for very high prices (often like 85%-90% of msrp, even when products have visual blemishes).

And I'm not talking about now, where all used goods are inflated in price, but pre-pandemic even. It was a very weird split market. Also because of the high prices of Genelec used monitors relative to msrp, they rarely move on these markets, often the ads sit for years. But the non-ebay sellers are adamant about the pricing, often until they just give up and de-list.
Fantasy (gearslutz et al) vs reality (ebay). People that list things for sale at obviously elevated prices interest me. There must be a certain type of psychology at play there. When I sell things, I usually don't need it gone this instant, but I don't want to hold on to it for years either.

Everyone (seller and buyer) wants the best price, but sellers that wait years and years for the "best price" and sometimes still don't get it, are an odd breed.

hege

Forum Donor
Interesting, their 2015 made eBay account has first (and maybe last?) listing..

Someone is paying hefty price already. But guaranteed to get a good pair from anywhere in the world, so I don't wonder.

Top Bottom