• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 1022B

Kvikk

Hi!
I have two Genelec 1022B.
Its not easy to find parts for them anymore so I was wondering if anyone have some tips on wich replacment speaker I can use for the bass element?

MAB

Major Contributor
Hi!
I have two Genelec 1022B.
Its not easy to find parts for them anymore so I was wondering if anyone have some tips on wich replacment speaker I can use for the bass element?
Have you contacted Genelec regarding replacement woofer?
What happened to the woofers in your speakers?

OP
K

Kvikk

Have you contacted Genelec regarding replacement woofer?
What happened to the woofers in your speakers?
I got them for free so I dont know their history other than that the woofer has been replaced once on both of them cause they was broken.
They got replaced with som unoriginal elements. I have asked Genelec and they said they did not have any replacement parts.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got them for free so I dont know their history other than that the woofer has been replaced once on both of them cause they was broken.
They got replaced with som unoriginal elements. I have asked Genelec and they said they did not have any replacement parts.
Since they have been replaced, what's in them now? Genelec should be able to tell you specs of the woofer they used if nothing else.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I wish I could help. I have no clue.
I would need the Thiele-Small parameters from Genelec to even begin finding a suitable replacement. I imagine one exists that could play well in the box size, with those ports, and whatever additional secret-sauce Genelec applies (like EQ). But Genelec would need to help you out here.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
so I was wondering if anyone have some tips on wich replacment speaker I can use for the bass element?
It's generally best to use the exact same woofer because the cabinet is optimized for the particular Theile-Small parameters. This is especially critical with ported boxes. It's easy to badly mess-up a ported design whereas sealed boxes are somewhat less finicky.

They got replaced with som unoriginal elements.
You can "model" the performance by measuring/calculating (or estimting) cabinet volume and measuring the port dimensions, and then plugging the Thiele-Small parameters for various prospective drivers into a speaker design application. I've used WinISD (FREE!). There is also the possibility of modifying or plugging the port(s) and the software will tell you if that's better.

One unknown is if there is bass EQ built-in to further optimize the design, and that won't be optimized for a different driver and your speaker design software won't know about that.

The original (and replacement) woofer sensitivity is also unknown so the new replacement may be louder or quieter.

Top Bottom